DavyJones

Well-Known "Member"
May 2, 2012
Southern Cal. USA
Name
Mike.
Boat
-------
Sorry for the late report but it's a good story.

Enjoy.

08/24/19

The Place: About 1 mile north of the 152 spot off the east end of Catalina Island.

The Conditions: The day dawns without a cloud in the sky and flat greasy calm seas. The water, a most disgusting shade of snotty green. A local problem we’ve been having this year but the fish are living in it.

The boat: 26 feet with a cabin on it.

Spotted a feeder in the binos and trolled over to it. Slowed and approached as close as I dared. The fish was herding a small ball of micro bait around in little circles.

My first cast with a live mackerel fell short, only about half way to the fish. I had hoped that the splashdown would get his attention. Nope. Fired a second cast for the same result forcing me to move closer. Botched my third cast and the bait fell so close to his bill that I thought he had spooked when he surged forward but the line came tight, and I ground down and planted the circle hook in his face and I was off to the races.

Literally.

Couple of big head shakes and the fish starts moving toward me. Picking up speed he races down my port side with a couple of jumps as he went and I have to follow. Then he crosses my stern crashing and jumping as he went and crosses all four of my trolling lines still in the water. Fortunately he tangled only one and with a little cranking of that reel, I was able to reach out with my bent rod and snag the line with one of the forward guides and pull it back and pass the rod through it.

Now I have to crank in all four of the trollers with one hand and stow the jigs so I don’t ram a hook in my leg later on.

The next problem I have is that the fish is steaming away going dead astern of me so I have to take one of the trollers out of the rod holder and lay it on the rail and put the bent rod in it so I can run into the cabin and turn the boat around because I don’t have a cockpit steering station.

Marlin snipers tell me that I must have a cockpit steering station to chase marlin. And to that is say… yea yea yea I get that and they’re right. But that would be spending money that I don’t have for a luxury item and the boat is always demanding that I spend money on things just to keep it afloat and running. Bottom line here is… you fish with the boat you have and I’m fishing mine now.

Now it gets really fun. I run out, swap the rods back again and then climb up the side of the boat and wedge myself between the cabin and the bow rail so I can reach through the window to work the controls and off I go zig zagging across the ocean chasing this fish.

Danger now looms ahead of me in the form of a big orange hipity hop ball buoy to what I think is a deep water shrimp pot and my line is heading right for it. But then the fish jumps off to the left heading away from it and I know that its just the belly in my line and I can concentrate on running down this fish. Take a few cranks. Reach through the window. Adjust the throttle. Work the steering wheel. Repeat.

The fish is closer now. Close enough that I can git my wind-on (about 35ft) back on the reel and it’s a stop and go chase. And boy now I’m feeling it. I’m huffing and puffing. My sun glasses are all steamed up with sweat drops running down the inside of the lenses. And my hands and forearms are on fire.

This is a tough fish. I have 16lbs of drag on my reel and I can’t move him. The drag just slips. If I clamp my thumb down on the spool and give a mighty heave, I can move him enough to get a half hearted jump out of him or get him to raise his head and give me some head shakes. But then he would steam away and I would loos my wind-on and have to start chasing him again.

Now the fish is really tired. Make that both of us are really tired. The boat is now stopped and the fish is circling it. So to all of the above you can add several trips up the side of the boat to the bow and back.

And all this time, from the beginning of the battle, my rod belt is not adjusted properly and it keeps falling down around my knees so I have to keep hiking it back up. So imagine doing all the crap above with your knees simi tied together.

OK. It’s time to put the leader gloves on. Hold the rod in my left elbow and use both hands to start the glove on. Then finish using my teeth. Repeat for the other side.

Back off on the drag a little, and put the rod in the holder and reach out and grab the wind-on and pull the fish to the boat.

This a good fish. Possibly the biggest marlin I’ve ever caught. I’m thinking maybe 150lbs-ish? Maybe a little more?? I have no real clue. I’ve never been next to a dead marlin in my life.

Put my belly on the gunnel and reach down and use my extended de-hooker to retrieve the hook and the fish is on his way with me giving thanks that he behaved himself long enough for me to do it.

For two days afterward, my leg was swollen just above and to the right of the knee from rubbing against the rail while steering the boat.

That’s solo marlin fishing.

GOD I HAD FUN!

DavyJones.

miaf

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Awesome!!!

I solo marlin fish also. Try leaving the boat just bumped into gear. It helps keep the fish behind the boat and a lot easier then trying to chase the fish all around the boat.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
I'm hoping to do this for the first time in a couple weeks and I am JACKED!!

Awesome story man. I'm glad you got it done.

I think I'm gonna be around there somewhere. Where exactly are you at Mike?

DavyJones

Well-Known "Member"
May 2, 2012
Southern Cal. USA
Name
Mike.
Boat
-------
I launch out of Long Beach.

So Andre, I red that your going to fish in the Masters tournament? You going to trailer your boat down?

What days are you gonna be here?

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
Very interesting fish story. Hope you tell us more of them.

I also fish marlin solo (in my case it's "old guy extreme sport) and I was afraid for you while reading your story. What would have happened if you'd have fallen in while steering through the window? You might have ended up in your name-sakes locker.

I do it from a center console and it's still a challenge, but I'm at least IN the boat.

Be careful amigo.

DavyJones

Well-Known "Member"
May 2, 2012
Southern Cal. USA
Name
Mike.
Boat
-------
Thanks Fat Cat.

I am aware of it and either go find calmer waters or quit fishing all together if the weather gets very bad at all for just that reason.

DavyJones.

Tranquility

Tranquility
Mar 13, 2004
Calif
Name
Bryan
Boat
Century 3200WA
Epic! I was planning on chasing solo Saturday, then lo and behold my guys have decided to come.