Fortune Fishing 6/11/18

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Paddyman1, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Booked another fun trip with Bruce Smith and company to spend my double-nickel birthday where I love to be. As most people know, the islands are all about the mossbacks right now.

After stopping at the Brouwerij West for an IPA with friends Bill and Bob (and let me say that this landing is spoiled to have such an incredible venue to relax with a cold one before heading off to sea), we were soon picking up loads of sardine and small chovies before heading to San Clemente Island in search of yellowtail. Although the max load was 18, we slipped out with a light load of 14.

Beer friendly, kid friendly, dog friendly! If you like beer, check this place out.

IMG_1694.JPG fullsizeoutput_d59.jpeg Bill, Bob and myself feeling good!
    IMG_1709.JPG

We felt the first southern swell of the year on the way out but it wasn't too bad. After arriving at the island at about 2:30am, the crew tried making additional squid with little luck. We did have a pretty full tank prior to leaving the harbor, which turned out to be good thing as our fin bait started fading half way through our trip.

About 5am, my friend Bill put the first of about 5 yellowtail on the deck fishing close to Wilson Cove. These fish were maybe 10-12 pounds. We picked up anchor and worked up and down the northeast side of the island the entire day, finding pockets of biting YT, along with good size calicos, a few scattered sheeps head, barracuda, and bonita. The highlights of the day was one of the other fisherman hooked a 30+ YT that managed to break his friends rod in half while muscling the toad to the deck. To top that off, Captain Bruce's Uncle Jerry hooked an absolute pig in the back on 20# test with a Tranx 300 and landed a 35# YT after circling the boat at least twice. I'd have to say Jerry was close to 80 years of age, and was frothing like a damn teenager. So fun to fish with him!

We fished hard all day, and I did manage my own 10 poundish YT (and farmed 4 :cussing:) with some mixed in table fare soon to be ceviche, hamachi, and battered tacos. Most everyone had between 1 and 4 tails. The weather all day Monday was summer at it's best, and on our return could not have been better with the swell pushing us all the way home.

IMG_1699.JPG IMG_1703.JPG IMG_1705.JPG

We finished our evening trying for the elusive white sea bass to no avail. At about 8pm, Chef Paul's pork chop dinner and Bill's Pinot kept us content for the smooth journey home. Big thanks to Bruce, Bob, Axel, Paul and Jordan for taking excellent care of us. One of the best sportfishing operations I have ever fished with, so consider this my 5 star review. I should also mention, if you want to meet someone who truly loves their job, say hello to Axel on the Fortune. That dude is first class.

Sorry for just my goofy photos. If I get a photo of Jerry's toad, it will be posted.

Next stop, Eagles Nook, British Columbia!

IMG_1707.JPG

Found the photos! Here is a photo of Axel with the broken rod fisherman, and Jordan gaffing Jerry's toad (20# line and hook still in the back - forgot to mention that!) . Priceless stuff.
    IMG_1710.JPG IMG_1711.JPG

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. Adrien Baker

Adrien Baker Born to get down.

Name:
    Adrien Baker
    Boat:
    Ultra
    I fish a lot out of 22nd St., haven't been to Brouwerij West yet. I'm doing it wrong.

I have a charter July 2nd so I'll be stopping by.

Thanks for the report!

Adrien

streetnfish and Paddyman1 like this.
  3. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    :appl:I have a trip in the Fortune on Monday 6/18. Limited load to 14. Really looking forward to the trip.

Paddyman1 likes this.
  4. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    It's right next to the free parking for the landing across the street. I posted photos of the two toads over 30#. Good luck! I'm back on 6/28 for an overnight.

Adrien Baker likes this.
  5. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good luck on your trip, Choe! Two toad photos posted.

6. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Thanks for the report. Didn't even know about the brewery there. Gotta get out of that "tunnel vision" when I'm going fishing and check that place out. :hali_olutta:

Adrien Baker and Paddyman1 like this.
  7. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    It's worth getting there an hour ahead of schedule.

8. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    Thanks. Btw, how’s parking at 22nd landing? Safe?

9. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    I've never had a problem in the last 20 years or so. I don't leave anything valuable sitting out in plain view though. Then again, that goes for anywhere I park.

10. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Close proximity to the landing with lots of activity around, so I would have to say it looks pretty good. Didn’t notice surveillance cameras, not that it would matter.

11. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Out of site, out of mind. Same thing I tell my wife with her purse!

12. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    There's been a lot of "Toads" lately.

i-4rxLsvt-L.jpg
    1447317_408570a8a27770f57fdfd30921277a8f.jpg
    1448687_18814e8937e88eed1837a513755312db.jpg
    1447926_2de50d57112f8b485dec528f7c092a41.jpg
    1448686_1fb8c0b372b1f40973a970eff7f90b34.jpg