Fortune 8/4

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Paddyman1, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Jumped on the Fortune for an open party overnight trip with friend Mark and his brother Zach. I really liked fishing with Bruce Smith and his crew on our SC Island June charter, so I was definitely looking forward to a day of fishing offshore with them (and a day off). Bruce was primarily at the helm with big Bob backing him up, Axel and another fine gentlemen (whose name is slipping my mind) covering our butts on deck while Chef Paul was working his magic. Damn that dude can cook! Croissant French Toast with sausage and eggs to order was my breakfast selection, and he also offered up panko-crusted teriyaki mahi mahi with coconut rice, string beans and mushrooms on our afternoon return. Are you kidding me? Simply spoiled us rotten.

We got a decent size of mid-size to smaller dines with a few mini-macs mixed in at about 10pm and we were soon on our way. Water was incredibly calm making the ride south as sweet as can be. Obvious balmy weather the whole trip, with slight cloud cover most of the day keeping things relatively comfortable. Paddies were the name of the game, but unfortunately they were far and few between, maybe 6-7 throughout the day. We weren't really a day late and a dollar short, but had to scratch for what we found.

The first paddy stop unleashed some quick havoc for about 10-20 minutes with doritos and fire-cracker yellows boiling on anything that came close to the water. For the majority of the day, most people were hooking up instantly on live bait with maybe a couple fish on lures. If the fish were there, they bit. I fished 20# P-line all day, managing a small-mid size dorito and maybe an 8# YT for my efforts. Although just about every paddy put some fish out, we only ended up with about 40sh fish for the day. Highlights were some of the troll fish. The only 3 YFT at about 15#'s were hooked on 3 out of 4 trollers all at the same time (the only tuna we saw), a possible 25# YT as we trolled by a micro patch of lettuce, as well as a couple nice dorado caught on two other patches of lettuce trolling by. My understanding is we were about 20 miles past Ensenada, with several fish caught on the way back.

Great group of people to share the rail with, thank you! We also had two young boys about 10 and 12 years of age fishing salt for their first time. Watching youngsters fish salt the first time is always priceless and keeps the adults entertained while they get broken in. Sometimes I think the bait tank is more interesting to them than the actual fishing.

Here's Axel gaffing one of the two troll dorado's that were caught.
    IMG_0852.JPG

A shot of a welcoming San Diego harbor as we came in.
    IMG_0854.JPG
    Have a superfantastic weekend, and good luck out there!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  2. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    FYI - Last week I used some YT to make the tuna taquito recipe posted on the front page of this site. Going to use Dorado tonight. If you haven't tried this, what the hell are you waiting for? It is fricking awesome!

Hardcor likes this.
  3. rex

rex Newbie

Name:
    rex
    Boat:
    16 ft cobia
    Thanks for the post looks like you had a good time

Paddyman1 likes this.
  4. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    Way to go Steve-o!

Paddyman1 likes this.
  5. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    the SLIDER
    Thanks for the report Paddyman1 - nicest guy on BD. Looks like things are heating up.

Can you link your recipe to this tread next time you post here? Thanks.

Paddyman1 likes this.
  6. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Here you go, LJ! Can't take credit for the recipe, though!

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/tuna-taquitos-cucumber/

7. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Sounds like a fun time. Beats working or sitting around watching the tube any day! Congrats!

Paddyman1 likes this.