Shade42087

Almost A Member
  • Apr 7, 2018
    Lompoc
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Yes plz
    TLDR: Got 36 BFT, mostly on flyline, rest on assorted jigs. Fish between 15-30lbs.

We left Fisherman's Landing @11AM for an extended 1.5 Day and it was soooo rough!! We didn't find anything on the first night and didn't even stop. Woke up around 6AM to boils and we started flylining baits. Hooked a blue shark, no BFT and we went back searching for the school. Found them again around noon, the fish didn't want anything to do with jigs and would only pick up a light line, small hook, bait on a looong soak. I got one and we picked away at this school for a few hours, it was work but we landed some. Finally Saturday night we found a couple productive schools and we were getting them exclusively on jigs, my jig was picked up twice on this drift and I landed both. The hot bite eventually died out as it got close to time for us to leave so we packed it up and headed out. It was a whole lot of fun, we were expecting jumbos but honestly it sounded like the rest of the fleet wasn't doing as great (except the outrider, heard they got yellows and BFT).
    I Really dig the Fortune, great group of guys running that boat, good food, clean bunks and they put us on fish. The hot jig for me on the last stop is pictured below, along with 2 of the BFT I landed. Go catch some fish! I've never pulled on a bluefin before yesterday and there's nothing like it. Also kind of funny, I went out and got a Talica because of the size of the fish as of late, ended up catching all my fish on my Trinidad 14 and my speedmaster 12ii 😂, figures.

IMG_2694_20220522_071106.jpg

20220522_141246.jpg

Shade42087

Almost A Member
  • Apr 7, 2018
    Lompoc
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Yes plz
    Great report! Thank you.
    Did you weld that solid ring on the bottom of that jig or did I come that way?
    My friend does all the stainless welding for the company we work for, he's very helpful and agreed to do it for a couple tuna steaks. He did all my jigs for this trip.

And yeah that JigPara jig got hit pretty quickly on that night bite. I have it rigged with the usual 250lb mono double crimped to a 450lb swivel.

Upvote 0

Shade42087

Almost A Member
  • Apr 7, 2018
    Lompoc
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Yes plz
    Great report and thanks for the info. Did most of ur hook-ups come on the Jobu tail hook or the Owner Monster assists?
    Both fish on the jig had the jobu deep in the top of the mouth with the assist hooks also hooked just inside the corner of the mouth. Seemed to do the trick as I accidentally gave one of the fish some slack early in the fight trying to switch to low gear and he swam up on me, luckily the hook set kept. I also forgot to mention, the jigs were being hit in like 180-240ft, and all of them between 130-200 grams, they were so picky. Luckily our group had the right jigs on hand, must of us anyways.

Upvote 0

Fishhead17

Almost A Member
    Nov 20, 2017
    Northern CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Willie
    Hey Shade, thanks for the detailed response. Looks like the JP jigs and your hook set-up did their job par excellance. Congrats on ur fish during a persnickety bite. I looked for the jigs online and could not find any in the larger sizes without going overseas. May I ask where u got urs?
    thanks,
    Mike

Upvote 0