Forked horn parade

Dan Ferialdi

May 20, 2015
Name
Dan
Boat
190 outrage
I dont know about you guys but it's a shame to hunt in a X zone and pass up 20+ small bucks knowing that I have a chance at a mature 4 point buck in a premium zone just to watch them all die to big groups of hunters and parade these yearling bucks out of the trail head. I would love to see a 3 point minimum restriction on all X zones

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    I think its personal choice,if you drew and paid for a tag and you want to shoot a forkie thats your decision to make as long as its legal.

Reactions: watersdeep
    Upvote 0

Dan Ferialdi

May 20, 2015
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    190 outrage
    It is currently a option because it's legal. There are plenty of forked horns in the non premium D zones if that is what you want. A 3 point minimum in x zones would also keep the riff raff out of premium units. I've seen the same 4 guys of a group of 30 plus kill more than 10 forked horns for the group in a premium zone and a couple years before that the same group in an adjacent d zone wipe the place clean and screw up the whole mountain. They kill spikes, does any deer they see. I've called the game warden to no avail saying that they have to catch them in the act.

Upvote 0

Dan Ferialdi

May 20, 2015
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    190 outrage
    Antler restrictions have proven to me that it improves trophy quality. We have hunted Colorado elk for 40 years and we rarely killed a mature bull until they made the 4 point minimum. After 3 years of 4PM the average bull we killed was 5x5 and now every bull we kill in OTC is 5x6 or better

Upvote 0

ross1147

Nov 8, 2012
    Alpine/CA/USA
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    None
    I’m 100% with you. Hunted X3B this year and passed on a few forkys. We had one little guy 5 days into the season come out by our camp. I watched him for a hour or so with 5-6 does. Next day someone shot him. Happened the same 4 years ago when we were hunting the same zone. At that age they have zero “street” smarts and do what the does do. It’s a shame it’s legal.

Reactions: Dan Ferialdi
    Upvote 0

Dan Ferialdi

May 20, 2015
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    190 outrage
    Ross1147 I'm glad someone sees this as I do. Not that Ca needs more hunting restrictions but I think us real hunters that let the small ones grow for the sake of overall quality of the herd would all be on board and it would improve our hunting experience in the coveted X zones. Here's a link to a petition I started.

Reactions: ross1147
    Upvote 0

Dan Ferialdi

May 20, 2015
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    190 outrage
    I hunted X3B a few years ago. I didnt get to be there opening day and the only buck I saw was a real dandy but didnt take the shot because he was locked into 10 ft tall manzanita with 4ft of burned blow down under it for a mile around him and it would have been impossible to get him out. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be able to shoot a meat deer if that's what you want but those can be had in D zones and A zone. If it takes 3-4 years or more to get a tag why would you fill it with a yearling buck? I think a 3 point minimum would increase trophy quality which would un crowd the premium hunts and boost revenue to CA DFG as if quality bucks are on the menu we would get more non residential applications. It would also remove the poachers mentioned earlier from their shoot first and check for legality after from the equation at least in premium zones scince I cant get a game warden to do anything about it

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    From one point I understand it when you are doing it for the meat to feed a family.I know people that buy a Elk cow tag for that very reason.Not everyone hunts for the racks.Tom

Reactions: Skeet and marlyn
    Upvote 0

Dan Ferialdi

May 20, 2015
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    190 outrage
    There is nothing wrong with meat hunting and I am all for it. If I cant get a good bull I would certainly take a spike if it's legal. But not in a zone that takes years to get.Typically if you are a meat hunter you wouldn't be applying for tags that take 2,3,4 or even 10-20 years of preference points to get. Plenty of OTC opportunities for meat hunters. Just would like to see the premiums improve

Upvote 0

Dan Ferialdi

May 20, 2015
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    190 outrage
    If you burned 5 preference points for a tag would your hunting experience be better or worse sharing the zone with a group of people shooting at every buck they see?

Upvote 0

Dan Ferialdi

May 20, 2015
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    190 outrage
    Antler restrictions would = less total deer die from hunters but would also result in more late season rut time hunting opportunities since we dont have the winter kill factor that other western states have to balance the herds. There would be more 3 point bucks in X zone units and the meat hunters would still be able to fill tags in premium units .

Upvote 0

ross1147

Nov 8, 2012
    Alpine/CA/USA
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    None
    I had that conversation with my dad about the meat hunting thing while up there. I spent 5 years hunting Florida/Southern Alabama before moving back to Ca. I had the luxury of shooting a doe for meat. I would kill 5-6 deer a season to eat off of for the year. You can’t just shoot a doe here if no buck presents itself. 4 years ago I took a giant in X3B, this year I went home empty handed. Worst I have ever seen the deer heard up there. We did run into 2 hunters who said they talked with a F&G biologist up there. They said they were cutting the tags from 750 to 50 next year? To be fair it needs it. Turn it into a zone like X5B. Granted I’ll never get drawn again, but next year is my last year hunting Ca.

Upvote 0

socalcowboy

Oct 26, 2009
    Lakeside, CA
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    It takes 5 years to hunt an X zone - sorry I wait that long and sometime paying for the extra tag... Im going to take what walks my way and is legal..

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Roger just smoked a big buck in an X zone. Really big.

Upvote 0

Skeet

Jul 17, 2007
    Hesperia
    Name
    Skeet
    Boat
    none
    If someone waits 5 plus year to draw a certain zone and shoots a young buck who cares it’s their hunt if they are happy with it great for them. It’s your choice what to legally do on your hunt.

Upvote 0