PENN

lobzila

May 2, 2007
Oside
Name
e-man
Boat
204 Angler
Nice fish. Since you kept it, why didn't you weigh it? Just curious. I had a skinny 28 incher that weighed 8-5 and a round 26 1/2 incher that weighed 10-12. Girth matters a lot. As a very general rule, a 22 incher is 6 pounds. Add a pound for each inch thereafter.
I didn't have a scale on the boat and it was really late when I got home and was dead tired and only had energy to filet it while drinking the last beer of the day.

Upvote 0

lobzila

May 2, 2007
Oside
Name
e-man
Boat
204 Angler
Nothing as tasty as a big, fatty, checkerboard. As a spearfisherman with 25 years of hard diving, they’re way more common than most people think.

I know what you mean. How many times have you been looking for WSB or YT and and saw one and knew the second you pull the trigger, the monster Ghost is swimming by while your dealing with the calico? I learned that lesson the hard way.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Calicos are a sportfish. Much more fun to catch since most of the time they are near structure, usually on the surface. Reds are on the bottom, heavy weight, and a long, boring, wind in.

A cast and a catch vs letting out 200-300 ft for a bite.

Which species do you want to catch on a regular basis?

Sacred Cow is a stretch though.
Never shallow water rockfished with a swimbait?

They are very similar. Several trips you aren't sure if its a bass or a cod.

BTW, a whitefish is more sporty than most calicos of the same size if its the sport you are after.

Upvote 0

lobzila

May 2, 2007
Oside
Name
e-man
Boat
204 Angler
It’s funny people treat bass like they are a sacred cow, but would toss a 10lb red in a sack without the blink of an eye.

The top five percent (size wise) of lobster produce about 90% or the hatch, yet very few have a problem keeping the large ones either. Most of my dive buddies think I am weird for tossing back any over five pound.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
BTW, a whitefish is more sporty than most calicos of the same size if its the sport you are after.
Whoa..ez now...lobbing a Spanish while on the beach at a place like sci into a kelp hole with minimum 40 lb.is to me is as sporty and fun and requires experience as much as any other type of fishing...locking down and pullin em off heavy structure also .....its as much the environment they live in and use against you and gear choices that make bass fishin unique...
I love structure yellow fishin but If I had to choose only 1 fish to catch for life calicos are right there..
Whitefish?? Even the 10 + lbers not so much..

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Damn that's a real nice one! No problems here on you keeping it. I love me a tasty checker! Great job and thanks for sharing. You will get the Yellers next time!

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Whoa..ez now...lobbing a Spanish while on the beach at a place like sci into a kelp hole with minimum 40 lb.is to me is as sporty and fun and requires experience as much as any other type of fishing...locking down and pullin em off heavy structure also .....its as much the style and gear choices that make bass fishin unique...
I love structure yellow fishin but If I had to choose only 1 fish to catch for life calicos are right there..
Whitefish?? Even the 10 + lbers not so much..
I love bass fishing too and agree with you 99%.

One of the funnest day I've ever had on a sport boat was in crap wind on an otherwise crap trip at Colonet. Fishing a bass rod, 1oz slider and strip of squid just roping massive whitefish. They were willing biters, pulled hard and tasted good too. I didn't weigh them, but I wasn't bouncing the bigger ones on the tackle I was fishing.

But that's besides the point.

• Haha
Reactions: Stakanak
Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    I know what you mean. How many times have you been looking for WSB or YT and and saw one and knew the second you pull the trigger, the monster Ghost is swimming by while your dealing with the calico? I learned that lesson the hard way.

It was even harder to hold off on a wall of 35-50 lb yellows in ‘15 when I was hunting wahoo locally. Honestly big checkers sightings are so common it’s easy to pass on now, but still tempting. I see more giant cali’s when, oh crap, never mind, I’m keeping that one a secret.

Reactions: RodRage
    Upvote 0

craig ito

Almost A Member
    Dec 13, 2017
    norwalk
    Name
    craig
    Boat
    seaswirl
    Keep that gene pool going, let the larger models go, there are plenty others that will taste better than that old bass...but I doubt us sportfisherman are the problem, that’s what limits are for....but wrapping up hoards at a time, may hurt a bit😞nice fish non the less, get a scale on the boat!

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Nice fish , bummer to kill it thou , everyone has the right to do what they want with their catch , it`s probably a solid 8 lbs and over 25 years old , iv`e been letting toad calicos go for ovet 40 years at the islands

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
    Jul 25, 2009
    Hell, CA
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    20' Beachcraft Cuddy
    That's a nice one, but you already know that. I caught one almost that big one time trolling a Rapala cd18. If you don't know, that's an 8 or 9 inch diving crankbait...

Upvote 0

tunakid4321

May 17, 2004
    Malibu/San Diego/Boise
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    None
    Only data point I have was a 26” 9 lber.

It looked super old and gnarly, very little checkering, almost looked black.

Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Throw the old ones back the young ones are more tender and juicy anyways!

Upvote 0