FOR WHAT ITS WORTH

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by M/V Santa Rosa, Jul 30, 2008.

1. M/V Santa Rosa

M/V Santa Rosa Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Tommy
    Boat:
    20 foot bayrunner
    The good, The bad, and the ugly.

The leading edge of a massive area is at 29.33/117.17 or about 60 inside the loop. This is a leading edge, this edge is of 60 to 125 # BFT. But we'll get back to that in a moment....

the 60 is alive and well, patties in and around said area are holding yellows and :SOME: dodos. On the plus side of that smaller BFt seen at the 60. This is is now starting to settle down as it was hammered by the gautlet of nylon in the water farther to the south. One spot stayed up for about 20 minutes. Looked like 12 to 15 ton 25 pound fish..

There is a Pod of killer whales, which is chasing these bigger fish, they are scattered, and running hard.

Yellowfin are now being taken on the patties and what little logs are out there, this is not the western pacific so logs are few and far between. Still these fish are in the 20 to 25 pound range.

One the plus side, it seems to be that the patties lined up on the current breaks are not holding like the solos. Meaning, in most cases, once you find the current break, there is at times a line up of kelps along it. It has been noticed that the patties say inside or outside a mile or two are the ones holding far far better then the ones in the lineup.

Albacore, forget about it, CANADA is reporting great numbers, whats here is here and there will be no more, good luck on that.

Back to the bigger BFT,

Plus side,,, these guy running the seiners CAN NOT FISH AT NIGHT, so with that in mind remember they are not that good, matter of fact 8 out of 10 sets are water hauls. remember just because the nets in the water dont mean they got em, ya need to read the vessel in order to know whats going on. Sacking up, how many strips in the water are left, how far from the boat is the skiff while sacking up is done, brailing fish, how long did it take, was it ORT-SAW (sp) fish so on and so fourth.

Most of these bigger BFT are sonar fish, these fish are staying deep with a show in the afternoon. Get down deep, if your on the drift and you have a sea anchor out at night, lights on, and go deep, HOWEVER the fricken squid are in some areas which is also a reason for these fish being so scattered, poor bastards it seems everything is trying to get em, seiners, killer whales and the squid...

there is or seems to be alot of big BFT on its way, like posted the leading edge is at 180nm and about 60 inside the loop. The biggest spot seen as of yesterday was 80 ton and there was no one for miles...

2. ConSeaMate

ConSeaMate Legend in my own mind

Name:
    Buster Brown
    Boat:
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    Thank You.....

3. TROB

TROB Member

Name:
    Tommy
    Boat:
    Duck Schmuck - yak
    thanks for the dope!!

4. M/V Santa Rosa

Name:
    Tommy
    Boat:
    20 foot bayrunner
    Whats the deal on all this little yellowfin outside O'side and dana point?
    Also there is smaller BFT taken between the channel Islands and the mainland.... why no reports? or is it that no one is fishing that stuff/

5. ConSeaMate

ConSeaMate Legend in my own mind

Name:
    Buster Brown
    Boat:
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    Good Question....

6. Darylfw

Darylfw Member

Name:
    Daryl
    Boat:
    29' Pro-line, The Four D's
    Thanks Tommy!!

7. imblane

imblane Semper Fish

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    Sea Fox 195BF, Semper Fish and Malibu Mini-X Yak
    I heard about the YFT outside O'side and ran out Saturday looking to nail a few. Lots of paddies with a ton of bait on them, purple blue 70-71.8 water, birds, whales, dolphin etc, No Fish!! Saw two Dodos sitting under one paddy about 4 miles inside the 209. Trolled everything I had for nada...

8. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Thanks Tommy. You rock!

9. stp

stp Fish Hooker

Name:
    Shawn
    Boat:
    Best first mate on your boat
    Best free information you will ever get........ANYWHERE! You're the man Tommy.

Thank you.

10. BabyGiant

BabyGiant 6nm from Dana Point

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    24' Robalo, REEL TROUBLE
    Good Stuff Bro,

Thanks Tommy,

11. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    Tommy, yesterday the fleet moved in on the 371 area. Seemed to be over 30+ seiners and counted over 30 pens afloat...

Are they fishing for other than BFT? Hot bite out there monday, but much slower yesterday.

YFT off of Oside and Dana moving fast with the dolphin or open water bait balls. Feeding on sauries & smallish fin baits. I would slid in uphill and flip a very small rapala type plug in the black/silver pattern to try and match the hatch, imho. Light line and flouro leader a must.

12. dolphin7

dolphin7 Dolphin7757

Name:
    Jim Gilmartin
    Boat:
    Not yet
    Thanks for the info Tommy any idea how deep the readings have been for the deep BFTs.

13. M/V Santa Rosa

Name:
    Tommy
    Boat:
    20 foot bayrunner
    we counted 13 seiners, alot of these pen boats look like smaller seiners.

there are "SOME" smaller seiners that are fishing the yellowfin, also remember its mexico,, and anything goes to a point. If they see a kelp holding yellowtail, they kill it, so its hard for the guys in the sky to hold true and stay the course remembering its the tuna we are after. Some (most) of the smaller guys are setting on everything from Dodos to yellowtail, funny thing,, you guys notice no ones said anything about skippies yet?

14. JIGMEISTER

JIGMEISTER Fresh One!

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Yours?
    Thanks for the info.

Be nice to get some of those big BFT. Hope they move up and avoid the nylon.

15. Kareem Korn

Kareem Korn Muffin Monster

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
    I know a secrete about the Oside yft, but promised not to tell. :)

16. hot_rail

hot_rail Newbie

Name:
    Tom Troma
    Boat:
    for sale 19' cuddy
    yay

17. Darylfw

Darylfw Member

Name:
    Daryl
    Boat:
    29' Pro-line, The Four D's
    I haven't seen a skippie local for 2 yrs. What's the dope here?

18. WACH ISS

WACH ISS Newbie

Name:
    cary
    Boat:
    23' trophy, tranquilo
    Thanks again for the info Tommy

19. pv apollo

pv apollo Newbie

Name:
    scott
    Boat:
    23 palm beach, PV APOLLO(sold)
    I posted earlier under same title and saw this and wanted to add that there were more than 30 seiners and pen boats,small and large in a 5 mile circle around 371. It looked like it was a little slow for them as we saw some nets and some skiffs but not blazing activity. Funny thing was as we headed up the 117 27 or so line the helo charged to the 302 and seiner chugging behind it. I turned that way but the wind and waves urged me not to. I would start at the 302 going out in the next few days...the tf oout of Oceanside can be a hard fish to get. Years past a 60 lb'er jumped up 2 feet in the air almost on my jigs and no bite. I am going to wait on those until they are on the chew. Thanks for your info as it helps us little guys catch a few and understand what is going on out there. Apollo out

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  20. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Do you know which island the bft are inside of?
    It's been foggy up here for weeks so there haven't been any good SST shots.