For Those Who Still Use Split Rings On Flatfalls For Big Bluefin...

el Toro

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Something else just occurred to me... one of those I feel dumb moments.

Shimano sells the damn things with the hooks on the back end, opposite from the eye painted on the jig. So then is that where they intended us to tie the line to? Fishing the jig “upside down”, painted eye on the bottom? The pic above (while not a Shimano FF) seems to reinforce this. Yet this doesn’t seem to be how most of us fish the jig. 90% of the time I see the line tied onto the side with the eye.

I’ve been removing the factory assist hooks, installing a single Mustad 7691 in their place, and then installing aftermarket assist hook(s) on the other side (the side with the eye painted on) with a solid ring and tying the line to this side. Am I doing it backwards?

Adrien Baker

Born to get down.
May 18, 2016
Taft
www.pbnation.com
Name
Adrien Baker
Boat
Ultra
No, the flat fall packaging shows tying the line to the eye on the eye end.

I think the idea of tying to the solid ring came from the not as popular butterfly jigs that preceded the flat fall. Those style of jigs didn’t used to come pre-rigged and you had to buy the hooks and rig them yourself.

Adrien

A3165B0E-6F9D-4EEA-A5F5-019AC1EF2176.jpeg

Reactions: MAG0121

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
No, the flat fall packaging shows tying the line to the eye on the eye end.

I think the idea of tying to the solid ring came from the not as popular butterfly jigs that preceded the flat fall. Those style of jigs didn’t used to come pre-rigged and you had to buy the hooks and rig them yourself.

Adrien

View attachment 931294
If that’s the way SHimano wants them rigged why do the hooks come on the back?

finsane

Oct 11, 2005
California
Name
Dennis
Boat
None
I pull test all of mine after rigging, I attach them to my 50lb scale and bottom it out. I've had some straighten out, the survivors get body weight tested, if they pass that I fish them

Reactions: stephen campbell

Let em eat 74

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 12, 2016
Irvine
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
This is one of the reasons I switched to the bridled setup. It just cuts down on how many connections you are playing the fish on, multiple connections to me, only means multiple points of failure.

A470E834-3610-42A6-BAAF-C2825195AE7A.jpeg

yessokk

Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
The split ring should just be used to attach the jig and to the solid ring......you attach both the assist hooks and your line to the solid ring there is no pressure on the split ring.....if you tie your line to the split ring you can cause it to spread and fail.....if you look closely you will see that the assist hooks are attached to the solid ring....
Perfect analysis..... the split ring is to only hold the jig to the solid ring. Would suggest modifying your rigging to reflect Mr. Fishbuzz's description.
That's it !!! All the pressure is applied to the solid ring the split ring just attaches the jig.

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
What if you want to run a hook off the back end of the jig too? The landings sell them "upgraded" this way by some guy ;-) That pretty much rules out the way of rigging pictured above with only the jig dangling off the split ring, right?

Pro/Cons?

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
What if you want to run a hook off the back end of the jig too? The landings sell them "upgraded" this way by some guy ;-) That pretty much rules out the way of rigging pictured above with only the jig dangling off the split ring, right?

Pro/Cons?

running a hook off the back greatly reduces the action of any flat fall type jig...my friend did extensive pool testing and this proved to be true.

Reactions: Cubeye

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
running a hook off the back greatly reduces the action of any flat fall type jig...my friend did extensive pool testing and this proved to be true.
Interesting, as I've read plenty that state the contrary too.

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
Sep 10, 2017
minnesota
Name
Joseph Koep
Boat
American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
Anyone tried the new Nomad rings? I think some are rated up to 300+ lbs.

Latest posts