For the tackle whore in you

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Let em eat 74, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Just went by the Longfin and they now have the Calstar rail rods in 8’ lengths. 780xh and 780xxh.

6E54E7D3-D252-46DB-9787-FA62975769DC.jpeg

2. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    That boat!
    Those would seem badass
    But kinda scratching my head why an 8’ rail rod

Seems like you start to lose lift, fulcrum is moved and more work

reelconcerned likes this.
  3. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Did you put a bend in them?
    I would think these are made specifically for those Guadalupe tuna and local bluefin. Just a thought.

4. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I didn’t put a full bend in them. I hold the rod near the balance point in the foregrip and tap the butt of the rod to test where the action lies and the tip. Come to think of it, with David Choate in the store at the same time, I missed a good opportunity to do so and compare thoughts. My impression is that it has more base with a comparable tip to the 775 series of the same rating.

5. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Do not have an issue with the rod when it on the rail or moving with free rail, but might have an issue lifting the rod over another angler. Gary Teraoka likes to fish an 8 foot XXX rod.

6. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Can maintain steady pressure by putting your left thumb on the spool (rod butt securely under your arm) and ever so gently back off on your drag to where you can pull line off the spool (while still under decent tension) and lift it over another angler or around the anchor davit... to me the longer rod makes this easier as you can stand a bit further back behind the angler or that high rail on the bow you are going over or around... also makes tangles for the crew easier as you can stand back further (your body out of the way) to let the crew in closer to your tip in order to untwist lines (crew will often put tips together to determine who's over or under who). I also believe that the longer your rod the longer the bend so you have more "shock absorber" which helps to keep more steady tension on the fish using heavy drag so hopefully you land it faster. I'm 6'2" so the longer rod works better for my fighting technique using the outside edge of the rail allowing me to be in a more upright stance... getting down on a knee is more difficult for me with my tall frame (can do it... but not comfortable)... IMO the down on the knee stance also makes you way less mobile (especially so if you are taller) which is not good when that fish makes a sudden move left or right and you have to move with it up or down the rail quickly (I've seen guys get locked up in the knee stance so they end up handing off their rod to the deckhand standing behind them or next to them to follow that fish up or down the rail so as to keep your line from going under the boat and rubbing on the hull which is never a good thing!).

With that said I can't see going any longer than 8' when using the rail for leverage (beyond that the leverage advantage may go to that larger grade fish pulling down on the other end).

G

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Jimmieridge and nmthree like this.
  7. alan760

alan760 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    American Angler
    I think you are correct. John c from calstar was on my 14 day trip and mentioned a new series coming out for bft and lupe fishing.

8. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
  9. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I agree Soda. On a fish that just insists on staying out and up, 8’ wouldn’t be super comfortable.

jiggyn likes this.
  10. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Seems like Calstar acts a bit like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. No one knows what goes on inside, stuff just appears now and then. Those do look nice.

I just wonder where all these longer rods are going to be stored since the main side racks on the boats I have been on don't handle rods over 7' 6" and even then are sketchy without tilting them sideways.

JWFogg, dtf and Bill W like this.
  11. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Knot Yet
    I have 2 eight ft. rods that see the rail quite frequently and they are among my favorites. I hope to add another soon. Not Calstar but UC and I love their recoil and ability to keep line away from the hull... no down sides that I can see

Panchovilla likes this.
  12. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    I wonder how these compare to the 800XXH. No cows to my name, but I put the hurt on some good--up to #135--Guadalupe fish in December with that rod. These might be just the 100-lb rod to add to the mix.

13. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Chris,
    Totally different build compared to the 800xxh. These have the larger tip size and heavier over all build like the 775 series

T.O.T.W. and ReelDealAngler- like this.
  14. ReelDealAngler-

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    All my rods go up top (top deck) and sit in custom milk crate racks or they go in the 4 rod holders on my heavy jig box (doesn't move or tip over) which is on the top shelf of the tackle box rack or a raised stern deck box ... I've even put my rigged 9' jig sticks in them. Only time I use my allocated side rail spots is for my 6'6" trolling outfit.

G

15. ReelDealAngler-

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate

Chris,

These are a true 8' cow rod... a lot heavier than the 800XXH (the 780XXH is rated 80lb to 130lb with an action much like the 775XXH).

G

T.O.T.W. likes this.
  16. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    That boat!
    Soon we shall see 9’ rail rods :cheers:

SouthBayKiller likes this.
  17. trunk777

trunk777 Member

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    yours
    got the rod cant find the reel.fustrating

T.O.T.W. likes this.
  18. T.O.T.W.

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Pulled on one at the show today. What a beast! Probably more than I need right now.

ReelDealAngler- likes this.
  19. clevel

clevel Captain in Learning

Name:
    Cabo Jack
    Boat:
    Cobia 261
    Why aren't the 4.5-5.5 ft stand up rods popular anymore on the long range boats? Great leverage as compared to the 8ft rail rods.

20. T.O.T.W.

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Harder to get a bait out and minimal clearance around the hull, rudders, etc. Most anglers use the rail these days, so they can still get mechanical advantage with a longer rod.