Footwear recommendations

Dexter Outdoors

Shooter

Almost A Member
Apr 28, 2003
Goleta, Ca
Visit site
I wear the Evairs, Solomon water shoes, and sometimes Keens. Like them all. The trick for me is to spray them all real good with white vinegar and then rinse with fresh water, then set them in the sun or engine room to dry. Definitely keeps the stink under control.

Reactions: Bill W
Upvote 0

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
I've seen people fishing in what appear to be neoprene boots that zip up on the side. Anybody have any comments, good or negative, about these?

Upvote 0

offshore6

Where's the tuna?
Aug 20, 2006
Indialantic, Florida
Name
Eric
Boat
Boat Ho
Everyone is going to find a different fit for them. Personally, I wear the Shimano Evair short boots. The are very light, fit me well. They get wet because they are not high but they dry overnight.

Reactions: harddrive
Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
I wear the same boots. They are light and easy to take on and off.

Everyone is going to find a different fit for them. Personally, I wear the Shimano Evair short boots. The are very light, fit me well. They get wet because they are not high but they dry overnight.

Upvote 0

hagridfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
I have a foot like a halibut, so finding something wide enough is a pain. I wanted to try the LaCross boots discussed on here many times, but could not find a place that carried them to try them on. So, I went to BPS, tried on several pairs, and settled on a pair of Red Head short rubber boots. I can wear them most of the trip without issues. The Xtra tuffs were just too narrow. As far as blisters from Crocs, wear them with socks, and make sure they are stretched out and fit comfy before you get on the boat. At least thats what works for me.

Upvote 0

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    I like the Servus Shrimping boots.

With a pair of insoles, i am good for 2 years.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    I have a foot like a halibut, so finding something wide enough is a pain. I wanted to try the LaCross boots discussed on here many times, but could not find a place that carried them to try them on. So, I went to BPS, tried on several pairs, and settled on a pair of Red Head short rubber boots. I can wear them most of the trip without issues. The Xtra tuffs were just too narrow. As far as blisters from Crocs, wear them with socks, and make sure they are stretched out and fit comfy before you get on the boat. At least thats what works for me.

I've got a real wide foot too and the Muck Citana are most comfortable boot I found. They're not made anymore, but you might be able to find some on ebay.

Upvote 0

BFG

We make fishing more catching!
    May 1, 2005
    SAN PEDRO
    Name
    ED
    Boat
    KINGFIN
    Two recommendations.... For boots check out the Rugged Sharks... A lot more support and super comfortable, cheaper than the xtratufs, and come with a one year "NO LEAK" warranty. Come in the color Navy, sizes 8-13. Available at Baja Fish Gear and Bass Pro. If you can't stand boots at all, Shimano makes the Evair Shoes, best described as a super light, rubber (thus water proof) open reef-walker type sandal/shoe. I'm a big guy and they are what I wear on trips upwards of 15 days. Down side is they can rub a bit on the tops of your feet, but a little flexx rap or socks will work if it becomes an issue. Come in a variety of color combos, BFG has some of the colors on sale for 50% off.

Reactions: matrixx611
    Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    USA Xtratuf with Spenco insoles are my primary footwear. Always bring three types of shoes to break up foot fatigue points. Also prefer wearing a shoe a bit larger than normal for increased ventilation.

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
    Granada Hills, CA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
    Cabela's Guidewear - like a tennis shoe but quicker drying. They're very comfortable for me. They're not hot like wearing boots mesh uppers and drain well if you get hosed.

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    These are my favorite threads on BD! Cant get enough of footwear threads. Its so subjective what footwear feels like on ones feet. You can speak about quality and performance but at the end of the day its personal preference right?

Blondes, Brunettes you know the drill.....

Upvote 0

gregory

Almost A Member
    Jul 1, 2004
    da OC
    Name
    gregory
    Boat
    float tube
    Another vote for the Shimano Evair short boots. Tried multiple boots but with my thick calves, the top of most boots chafe my calf. But I replaced the insoles with Superfeet footbeds. They get wet because they're short but try out quickly after I take the footbeds out. They are very lite n have lots of cushion in the heels.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    American Angler
    I use Xtratuff but with a 3 part insole system I came up with and it makes them super comfy..

Upvote 0