DC61

Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
Hello all,
I have another 15 day trip coming up in January. I am struggling what to get for footwear. My back cannot handle xtra tuff boots. A few trips ago I wore a pair of Crocs but after a few days I developed friction burns from rubbing and always having wet and sweaty feet.

I am considering the Shimano Evair closed toe sandle. The Amazon reviews look fairly good. I am hoping someone has a recommendation for something that I am unaware of.
Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Xtra tuff's are very uncomfortable.. even with my Dr scholls in them after a full day of fishing im hurting. I have a nice pair of flippys I wear when weather permits. Still grips great on a wet deck.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I use Lacrosse Hampton boots also. They are very comfortable.

Keep in mind that because of the tight design around your leg at the top of the boot, your feet can't breath. They get kind of hot during a long day of fishing.

Also, the soles are hollow. That's why they are so comfortable. And because of that they don't last very long. Two and a half seasons, and they started to leak.

Upvote 0

dh515

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    Another vote for Lacrosse Hamptons. Tried Xtratuffs, very uncomfortable even with gel insoles. I've also tried Crocs with the same results as the OP.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Suggestion from fishy, got some shorty polypropylene socks to wear with my Keens.
    Nice and thin to prevent those spots that get rubbed raw.

Reactions: Bill W and dh515
    Upvote 0

fuj

Almost A Member
    Aug 13, 2006
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    nope
    If you like Crocs, look at the Croc Swiftwater Fisherman's sandal. Lightweight and comfortable, typical Crocs. I haven't worn them in a wet environment yet but will try them out in a month. 40% off today only, Cyber Monday, on the Crocs' web site.

I have Keen Newport's (not H2's) but I'm not a big fan. Keen's feel heavy and sloppy, but OK for dry land. Maybe the H2's are better. If regular Crocs gave you problems, you probably won't like the Shimano Evair Marine/Fishing shoes either.

If you're looking for boots, hard to beat MuckBoot products. Lacrosse Hamptons look like the way to go now.

Upvote 0

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
    Dana Point
    Name
    Paul L.
    Boat
    33’ Blackfin
    Guys,
    THANK YOU very much for the recommendation. Shoesonline had them for 30% off today. I purchased them. Thanks again for the great advice!

Upvote 0

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
    Encinitas, CA
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    American Angler
    xtra tuffs with inserts for me. Keens are my backup but they don't seem to do very well in wet conditions. Stitching seems to fall apart when they get wet. Happened to my first pair I used for yakking. My second pair I use mostly for wear around the boat when not fishing. Also wear them in rough conditions when everyones boots are taking a good dousing. See REI website for reviews on Keens. For yakking I found a cheap pair of water sport shoes but I don't think they have much foot support so I can't see standing in them for hour and hours.

Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
    Jul 10, 2003
    Orange County, CA
    Visit site
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    Good topic,

This has been discussed many times on this site...

I'm one of the first to use the Lacrosse on this site and have been promoting their use for years... They fit like a tennis shoe for most guys... (other than super wide feet..). Yes, you will have to order online as no one that I know stocks them here in Southern CA.. well worth a mail order... here is a link discussing the topic.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th...re-available-again.311890/page-2#post-2922417

Tight lines,

Jeff

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Xtratuf!! Now and forever! LOL!

I just found a pair of USA size 10's for myself!

I don't always wear boots, but when I do, they're Xtra Tuff. :)

I also purchased a pair of the Swiftwater Fisherman's Sandals, Crocs. Lighter weight than the Keens, but I think they might work. Will pack them along on the next trip. A more snug fit, too.

Reactions: Statistico
    Upvote 0

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
    Calabasas CA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Regardless what boots or shoes you wear, other than flip flops, the greatest gift a long range fisherman can give themselves is some proper sports Orthotics, custom fit to the bottoms of your feet. I have always had flat feet and turned in ankles and pronation and who knows what else but the day I went to my buddy who is a podiatrist and he talked me into getting several pair for normal shoes and then for wet shoes/boots, my world changed. No more achy breaky heals, arches or anything else and man having comfortable foot wear, with proper fitting orthotics should be purchased as one of the first must have items in a long or short range arsenal... Dr. Shoals are fine but properly fitted orthotics blows him away. Additionally, those orthotics can transfer to most other shoes you own so they are not just for fishing but mine stay in my fishing boots so I never forget them. But then again, I have orthotics in every shoe I wear.

Also note, many of the boots or deck shoes are sized for specific widths of foot. Make sure you obtain the right combination for you. Finally, when I wear boots I use the Thorlo crew height light or regular walking or light running sock. These things make a huge difference as well as the padding is just right for me. When wearing boots just make sure the top of the socks peak up above the top of the boot to keep from rubbing over a long period of time. As a note, never take you wet socks into your room to dry as your roomy will kill you or something worse as those things take on dead animal smells or worse. Rinse them in fresh water then Take them to the exhaust stacks and dry them out there or if the crew allows, in the engine room in the appropriate spots.

By the way, I have the greatest boots ever made by Crocs. I forgot what they are called but they stopped making them... Big, wide and ugly and may have been designed as rain/deck shoes but man do they caress my feet.

Never under rate the power of the feet. Heck, when Fishy comes aboard we have a cosmetologist with a Metal Grinder, power picker, rasp file for his calluses, needles to pop his boils and aloe vera to make him all better again..... until the next day that is......

Best of luck

Jamie

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    Gill boots I have found to be the widest of all boots 4E width are hard to find also the runners store have a insole made for your shoes or boots makes a big difference
    when at the rail for a long time they will custom fit them and your good to go

Reactions: Squid Sammich
    Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
    May 14, 2007
    Alta Loma, CA
    Name
    Jackson
    Boat
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    I got myself some of these for Cyber Monday
    download.jpg

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Regardless what boots or shoes you wear, other than flip flops, the greatest gift a long range fisherman can give themselves is some proper sports Orthotics, custom fit to the bottoms of your feet. I have always had flat feet and turned in ankles and pronation and who knows what else but the day I went to my buddy who is a podiatrist and he talked me into getting several pair for normal shoes and then for wet shoes/boots, my world changed. No more achy breaky heals, arches or anything else and man having comfortable foot wear, with proper fitting orthotics should be purchased as one of the first must have items in a long or short range arsenal... Dr. Shoals are fine but properly fitted orthotics blows him away. Additionally, those orthotics can transfer to most other shoes you own so they are not just for fishing but mine stay in my fishing boots so I never forget them. But then again, I have orthotics in every shoe I wear.

Also note, many of the boots or deck shoes are sized for specific widths of foot. Make sure you obtain the right combination for you. Finally, when I wear boots I use the Thorlo crew height light or regular walking or light running sock. These things make a huge difference as well as the padding is just right for me. When wearing boots just make sure the top of the socks peak up above the top of the boot to keep from rubbing over a long period of time. As a note, never take you wet socks into your room to dry as your roomy will kill you or something worse as those things take on dead animal smells or worse. Rinse them in fresh water then Take them to the exhaust stacks and dry them out there or if the crew allows, in the engine room in the appropriate spots.

By the way, I have the greatest boots ever made by Crocs. I forgot what they are called but they stopped making them... Big, wide and ugly and may have been designed as rain/deck shoes but man do they caress my feet.

Never under rate the power of the feet. Heck, when Fishy comes aboard we have a cosmetologist with a Metal Grinder, power picker, rasp file for his calluses, needles to pop his boils and aloe vera to make him all better again..... until the next day that is......

Best of luck

Jamie

Jamie I still have my red Croc boots.....very very comfortable......don't wear them too often.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    Finally, when I wear boots I use the Thorlo crew height light or regular walking or light running sock. These things make a huge difference as well as the padding is just right for me. When wearing boots just make sure the top of the socks peak up above the top of the boot to keep from rubbing over a long period of time.

I'm with Jamie on the Thorlo socks. That padding is great, I use them for my regular socks too. They're pricey at $10-15/pair, but that's what Fathers' Day, Birthdays and the Holidays are for...put 'em on your gift list before a well meaning relative gets you another ugly shirt...

Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    No matter what footwear I'm using I alternate them. The same things every day will almost always cause blisters.

Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
    Calabasas CA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Jamie I still have my red Croc boots.....very very comfortable......don't wear them too often.

Great boots but I forgot the name of them. It was a gay name but they are fantastic, light and uber comfortable. I should have bought more before they stopped making them as mine are beginning to show wear on the soles.

Reactions: Fishybuzz
    Upvote 0