• Mahi Mahi

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Dorado

Votes: 31 91.2%
  • Dolphin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tifoso

Chinook,halibut,lings,bottom fish,WSB&More!
  • Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    🚤
    OK. After all the great feedback from you guys in the WSBvsDorado thread and including the fact that I've eaten Dorado and love them, I need your help again, please.
    1. Best month(s) to chase them (again: in California waters )?
    2. Best boat(s)? (I prefer 6 packs, if possible)
    3. Clean hotels near(ish) harbor of departure?
    4. Any other tips?
    5. Heck, your favorite Dorado recipe?

Thanks, as always. :)

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    West coast and Mexico - Dorado

East coast - Dolphin

Hawaiian islands - Mahi Mahi

Me - tasty

Kind of funny I'm eating some for lunch right now. That my wife simmered in a Mediterranean how's it Going sauce last night.
    It is one of 10 I got on some paddys back on August 21st

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tifoso

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Dorado is almost always bycatch in california,I dont think any boats target dorado only.Their usually paddy hopping looking for yellows or tuna and dorado are just a bonus.Any good san diego 4-6 pack will take you to fish for whatever you would like though and best months for dorado are whenever they show up if they show up,good luck!

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    You can learn a lot by googling and google reviews. whatever research you put into it, Is what you get out of it.

thanks-obvious.gif

Upvote 0

eat'm_raw

person of interest
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    15 ' Hobie Power Skiff
    @ OP: late summer, early fall. Watch the counts. Unless you hire the boat, you probably won't be fishing exclusively for dorado, you'll be paddy-hopping offshore, and some of those paddies MAY hold dodos. You're going to either flyline bait, or throw surface iron at them. Near the paddy, but not directly at it.

The thing to remember if you're throwing jigs is that those bastards LOVE to throw those damn things right back at you, so PAY ATTENTION to your fish, and make sure anybody else who's on is doing the same. Bow to the fish when it jumps - that will reduce the chance of the fish getting off, and if it does, it reduces the chance of you getting a hook flying at you. It won't take much searching to find a story about pulling treble hooks out of someone's face or body. It sucks.

Tifoso

• Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    🚤
    @ OP: late summer, early fall. Watch the counts. Unless you hire the boat, you probably won't be fishing exclusively for dorado, you'll be paddy-hopping offshore, and some of those paddies MAY hold dodos. You're going to either flyline bait, or throw surface iron at them. Near the paddy, but not directly at it.

The thing to remember if you're throwing jigs is that those bastards LOVE to throw those damn things right back at you, so PAY ATTENTION to your fish, and make sure anybody else who's on is doing the same. Bow to the fish when it jumps - that will reduce the chance of the fish getting off, and if it does, it reduces the chance of you getting a hook flying at you. It won't take much searching to find a story about pulling treble hooks out of someone's face or body. It sucks.
    Thank you!

Reactions: eat'm_raw
    Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Alive, I call them Dorado or Dodo's. On the plate, Mahi and sometimes I'll say it twice.
    Favorite way to take them: Single hooked Poppers!
    Or on the Crease-fly (think flyrod Popper)!
    Only caught them in Baja, so Punta Arena's Hotel if it's still open.
    Pangas $100/day + $20 for live chum. (it was actually $60-80 back then, so YMMV)

Cheese Burt

Jun 8, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    Charlie Cohen
    Boat
    Who ever will take me out
    Jul/Aug are good times because the water is often at its warmest. Most 4 or 6 packs will target what is around and biting. Some good 4 packs are pinnacle, seasons, into the depths and limitless.

Tifoso

• Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    🚤
    Jul/Aug are good times because the water is often at its warmest. Most 4 or 6 packs will target what is around and biting. Some good 4 packs are pinnacle, seasons, into the depths and limitless.
    Thank you and welcome aboard!

Upvote 0