FMM... What's the scoop ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by kgough55, May 12, 2016.

1. kgough55

kgough55 The Chunk

Name:
    kyle
    Boat:
    225 aquasport explorer
    My plan is to launch my boat at shelter island a lot this summer but can't seem to understand if a visa is necessary for fishing 226, 302 and 371. I understand that fishin anything less then 12nm from mex coast you need a visa. I would like to fish Coronados but I keep getting mixed messages about what's needed to be legal in mex. (Long story short) what do my guests and i need to fish mex legally and what is truly necessary. I'm pretty green when it comes to fishing Mexico so any and all info will help.... Thanks

2. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    from my knowledge, you need the fmm regardless of where you fish in Mex, but you only need passport if within 12 miles. So if fishing coronados, you need both. Im 70% sure. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)

3. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    You need the FMM if 12 mls or less along with a TIP. passport, radio operators license, Mexican fishing license, your current registration and proof of Mexican insurance and a manifest listing all of your approved passengers. You need a passport and a mex fishing lic. outside of 12 . Do a search for "what it takes to fish Mexico" this subject has been covered a lot and that search will tell you everything you need and how to get it thanks to Ali. Just an FYI any time you leave the USA you need a passport and a radio operators license, home land security doesn't give a shit about the radio license, but they will not let you into the US without a passport. This law is nothing new and is international law, the Mexicans have just started to enforce it and the pricks calling themselves Homeland (Father land) security are all about their ego, authority/power tripping assholes who have been given the power to do anything they want with no one to complain to about their behavior. My advice is be more concerned about them than the Mexicans

4. BigJoe

BigJoe No fish in O'side

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    26', Striper, Wage Burner
  5. Jr.

Jr. Winning!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Hatteras
    If you stay outside of the 32.25 line you wont need the FMM only mex. license and passport.

6. kgough55

kgough55 The Chunk

Name:
    kyle
    Boat:
    225 aquasport explorer
    We will definitely carry a valid passport, mex fishing license and manifest but the fmm so far seems like a pain to get. do you supply all the items you listed when fishing in mex and what could happen if you get boarded and don't have all that stuff.

7. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
  8. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    I find it all so confusing...

From Baja Bound;
    "According to the INM, an FMM, or Forma Migratoria MĂșltiple... "

I don't speak a lot of Spanish but I can figure out what migratoria multiple means :D

It then goes on to say under FAQ's:
    "Is it possible to enter and exit Baja multiple times with the same tourist card (FMM)?
    Yes. The INM delegate for Baja California (Norte) announced in September 2015 that the FMM is now multiple entry for land travel in Baja California only."

Hmm... "for land travel..."

So entry by sea requires an FMM that is NOT an FMM ?

I can't find it in writing that a separate/ new FMM is required for each entry by sea. Does anyone know where to find it?

Also, on the radio license, is it a US FCC license or is it a Mexican license?

Please don't say "just search...", I've been doing that all morning :)

9. 430 hp 70

430 hp 70 Always Learning

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    26' Skipjack "My Girl"
    Is the fcc license per operator, or per boat? What's the cost? It appears to be good for 10 years.

10. HookEmDanO

HookEmDanO Huhuhuge member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    but but but...the 32.25 line runs N-S....and the mex coast runs NW-SE
    I would love to see a map that shows a red line 12NM off the mex coast

is the 425 12NW off the coast?

11. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Looks to be ~16.75 NM at the nearest point.

12. Jr.

Jr. Winning!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Hatteras
    The Mexicans count the nados as part of the coast so its not just the mainland the line would have to start at N. Island and the 425 is 10 miles off of S. Island

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  13. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Well all these answers certainly clear things up LOL

bparker1225 likes this.
  14. Jr.

Jr. Winning!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Hatteras
    Yup clear as mud I know.........Freedom Fish taste better anyway I just wait till they show up in American waters!

gecsr1 likes this.
  15. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
  16. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    Okay the FMM for water is what you want, they are all different but only the one for sea entry will work... you have six months to use it but it is good for one entry and one exit only. You will get the form for the manifest at the same place.. if you are the boat owner get everyone's at the same time it is easiier.

One of the reasons it is so confusing is all these different agencies deal with different things and they are all different AND most of them only tell you what is required by Mexican law and don't include the stuff that is international law, like the radio operators license.

It doesn't matter what any of those agencies tell you the only thing that matters is what the captain of the gun boat wants.. I will tell you what you need, this may not be asked for by the captain who stops you, but might be by the next one... get these things and you will be golden... and fuck all the shit you hear that so and so got stopped and they didn't ask for...... and think you don't need it. Just remember you are not dealing with some civil servant who works for the government you will be dealing with the captain of a Mexican war ship and this mother fucker does not have a sense of humor. Some of this stuff is good for ten years and averages out to less that 10 to15 a year.

You will need the FMM and a manifest listing all those on board (these people have to be approved by the Mexicans, they never get that shit back to you but it is on the computer the captain will be looking at) a passport, a Mexican fishing license, a TIP, current registration for the boat, proof of Mexican insurance, and a radio operators license. If you go offshore 3 miles you are no longer in US waters and you are required to have a passport and the radio operators license, this is international law. One of the problems is that there are several different types of operator licenses you can get and no one has ever said it has to be any particular one and as long as you have one it isn't an issue..... you will see when you go on line to get one.

You should fly the flag the flag of the united states in case there was a question about that. They haven't ever asked us to, but that to is international law. NOTE you fly the flag of the country of registry and this is considered the passport for the boat. There was a guy on this site that was telling how he would fly a Mexican flag and they would go right by them and go check everyone else.... They didn't stop them because they thought they were Mexican citizens..... until they notice the CF number on the boat..... This I promise you will get you a stay in the crossbar hotel... like I said you will be dealing with the captain of a Mexican war ship and this fucker is as serious as they get. he will be no different than the captain of a United States war ship. If you are absolutely clueless about the rules/laws on flying the flag.... learn them before you make a fool of yourself or worse. for some reason people don't seem to think the flag is any big deal but for those of us that got shot at over it and the rest of the world it is and there are rules you better follow if your going to fly the flag of another country while in their waters

All of this stuff you need I am sure you have heard before, but a little common sense... like the TIP and the proof of Mexican insurance... do you really need this? yes you do but ask yourself this..... does Mexico make any money on them? do you really have to ask? as for the other things.... are they required in this country? I hope you know that they are, fishing without a fishing license is a heavy fine. and for the mental midget that's thinking.. duh, I don't need a passport... sorry the law says you have to have a passport to leave or enter the united states... of course you will learn this when your stopped by fatherland security, and beyond 3 miles offshore is leaving the country.

Al right bitches have fun

Mojo1 likes this.
  17. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    I see that some of you need to take a class on how to use a compass and a chart... I wish I was joking but I'm not... everyone should have them on your boat, and most people do.. but it doesn't do you any good if you don't know how to use it. If you read the box your gps came in you will find a warning on it somewhere that says, this should not be relied upon for navigation... your going to shit out of luck if you lose power. of course a real sailor doesn't need a compass either, but I do.

18. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
  19. cvjarrod

cvjarrod Freshie

Name:
    Jarrod
    Boat:
    24 Diesel Skipjack Flybridge
    The skipper should be able to tell which way is home from the swell and/or sun position and/or wind direction. You really should only need one of these variables if you are paying attention all day/night and you pay attention to the weather reports.

If you can't, practice it. If you never figure it out, you shouldn't be the skipper. That being said, I have a backup GPS/VHS with DSC and a compass and charts.

Andriy Proshchenko likes this.
  20. HookEmDanO

HookEmDanO Huhuhuge member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352

now...imagine.....its glassy/no noticeable swell...no wind...and ...its dark...ah hell throw in some fog to boot

I too carry spare GPS/VHF and have charts and compass