c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
The other day I realized I had become a victim of theft from my bank account.They cleaned me out.The only transactions Ive done in the past month where I had to use my debit card or give my credit card info online was the air water machine in front of 7-eleven on mast in santee,it usese debit card only no cash,and the purchasing of my FMM last weekend.

Ive always been uncomfortable giving my credit card info at the FMM site.It asks for your # and then the page after it asks for it again.

I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that has recently been a victim and also has purchased FMM recently?

As soon as I let my bank know about this my money was back in my account within a few hours later.

Upvote 0

Mr GreenJeans

Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
Since they cleaned out your bank account and your debit card most likely has direct access to that account it was probably the debit card. If your credit card is like mine, there is no direct access from the card to the bank account.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
sorry to hear it. put transaction alerts on your cards. you will get an email when end transaction is processed. most likely while you are standing at the counter.

Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
Debit card. Happened to me not too long ago. Luckily my bank called me when they noticed a bunch of random charges. But you do know that water and air at those machines is free in California? It's the law, you just have to go inside and tell them.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    My wife decided that using the debit card was a lot easier than writing a check or carrying cash and began using it for all of her purchases. Within sixty days she was the victim of fraud. Police reports and credit freezes are a hassle, but a big lesson learned -- the ONLY thing the debit card is used for is to get cash from the ATM at our bank after hours. She now uses her own credit card and we pay it in full monthly, which costs us nothing. The bank made us aware of the lack of protection you have with a debit card compared with a credit card, and the increased vulnerability. We are continuing the credit freeze too, no new accounts can be opened without our permission.

Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
    Oct 15, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Leoman
    Boat
    Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
    sorry to hear you got scammed...I have heard those rogue ATM's are the most likely source for scamming

Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    The other day I realized I had become a victim of theft from my bank account.They cleaned me out.The only transactions Ive done in the past month where I had to use my debit card or give my credit card info online was the air water machine in front of 7-eleven on mast in santee,it usese debit card only no cash,and the purchasing of my FMM last weekend.

Ive always been uncomfortable giving my credit card info at the FMM site.It asks for your # and then the page after it asks for it again.

I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that has recently been a victim and also has purchased FMM recently?

As soon as I let my bank know about this my money was back in my account within a few hours later.

Wow Yes! This happened to me also. Back in April I purchased 4 FMMs. I didn't notice it at first but 3 months later there appeared 3 charges is the same amount two months in a row. June and July. I never purchased the others. My capital one credit card now has a security limit and I will be notified if a purchase exceeds that limit.

Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
    Sep 26, 2008
    Long Beach
    www.skipjackmafia.com
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    NO BOATS
    Im going thru it right now, some asshole broke in my car and stole a check from my checkbook, wrote a check for $1800, and cashed it at a Chase bank. So much for security and ID verification the check should have never been cashed because it was filled out to my landlords name and he didnt cash it. F**k Chase Bank. Theif looked in my copied checks. Its gonna take 90 days to get my money back, if it was CC I would have got it back right away and not had my account drained. Luckily my credit union is like pitbulls and getting my money back.

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chula Vista, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    won't b mine
    In the scenario that you got hacked when you bought your FMM, did you/are we suppose to pay with a card, or can we pay cash, i.e. U.S. dollars? Haven't been down since the mandatory FMM rule in effect. Impression I get is the bigger banks don't really go out of their way to help you get your $ back. That being said, my credit union froze my charges when I tried to use it in MEX and didn't tell them I was down there. Got a call on my cellphone from them at the same time the waiter brought back my bill saying my card was denied. Best call ever received while traveling!

My hunch would be the air/water machine. Like Unassailable says above, its suppose to be free, so probably been tampered with. Either way, sux!

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    Reactions: badpetedave
    Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    Ive done the FMM thing about 20 times.........and yes, I have had to cancel my CC a couple of times due to fraudulent charges. I cannot say with certainty that it was from the FMM charge, cause I use the card alot. (air miles)

the most important thing is to stay on top of your account...........and yes, definitely enroll in the text and email alerts.......mine sends both any time the card is used without the card being swiped or plugged in.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV

I had that happen to me TWICE in the last 12 months but in both instances it wasn't from an ATM or online purchase. The first came from the Target hack and the 2nd came from the Anthem Blue Cross hack.

In both instances CITI was great and I had my money back within 24 hours.

Upvote 0