bentcalstar

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 11, 2012
Socal
Name
Charley Tabbara
Boat
Boat
Have already flown with rod tube. Most airlines I've noticed limit it to 2 rods per case under size limit. I'm thinking about putting 3 rods in and my question is for those who have flown recently did they open your tube? I don't want them to open it and charge a oversize fee because I'm not playing by the rules. Allowed to bring 4 rods into mexico/cabo.

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
I regularly carry 7 rods in my rod case, and Alaska Air has never said anything.

Reactions: bentcalstar

bentcalstar

Sep 11, 2012
Socal
Name
Charley Tabbara
Boat
Boat
I regularly carry 7 rods in my rod case, and Alaska Air has never said anything.
They haven’t opened up a tube. Alaskan that is. Their rules state 2 rods flying with American Airlines in oct. most likely will just try getting 3 rods through. I will be fine as long as they don’t want me to open tube on spot before checking it in as recreational fishing gear. Website states 2 rides, one tackle box, and one reel.

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
TSA will open it. Make it easy for them to open, inspect, and return into the case. Or they will break your rods.

Mexican inspectors will open them also. Don't take more than 4 rods per person. I've taken 7 but I travel with my wife and say the extras are hers.

Alaska Airlines have never looked at mine. I use a Plano jumbo airliner case with rods under 7.5ft. 8ft rods in that case cause it to be oversized. I doubt they will nick you for it, but you never know.

Reactions: rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
I just love walking around the terminal with an 8' black tube on my shoulder with "BAZOOKA" in 4" letters on both sides of it!

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
Alaska is usually really cool about it. Last time I flew into mex with a board bag and rod tube the skycap at Lindbergh said "windsurfing gear?" with a sarcastic wink and counted them together as a single piece of baggage. On the way back I told the rep at the desk that's what the guy in SD charged me and he simply replied "well that's not how that's supposed to work but ok" and charged me the same. Love them.

On a related note, does anyone know why you can only bring 4 rods into mex? I've never been able to find an explanation for it.

Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
... I will be fine as long as they don’t want me to open tube on spot before checking it in as recreational fishing gear. Website states 2 rides, one tackle box, and one reel.
Have not flown with fishing rods in a few years - and apparently not up with the times. Don't remember a specific rod limit regarding how many can be in the tube. I get the Mexico thing, but for a domestic flight it seems odd.

For the OP, I had two thoughts...
First - with all that has taken place in our country over the last six months and the devastating hit the airlines have taken (and continue to take) I would think they would be so appreciative of you taking a paid airplane ride to not really care how many rods are in your tube.
Second - and this only works with one over the limit. If the airline representative inspecting your rod tube squawks at having three rods when the "rule" is only two, just simply tell them, Sir (or M'aam) there are actually only two rods in that tube. The other item you see is my emotional support device. I put it in the rod tube since it would not fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of me.

Good Luck!

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
Alaska is usually really cool about it. Last time I flew into mex with a board bag and rod tube the skycap at Lindbergh said "windsurfing gear?" with a sarcastic wink and counted them together as a single piece of baggage. On the way back I told the rep at the desk that's what the guy in SD charged me and he simply replied "well that's not how that's supposed to work but ok" and charged me the same. Love them.
Alaska air regs count two rods and one tackle box as one piece of checked baggage:

Once, I managed to convince the check in person @SNA that my 40"x15"x15" duffel was my "tackle box" and the 7 foot long, seven rod bazooka tube was two rods.
They weren't buying it on my return leg from WRG though.

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
Have already flown with rod tube. Most airlines I've noticed limit it to 2 rods per case under size limit. I'm thinking about putting 3 rods in and my question is for those who have flown recently did they open your tube? I don't want them to open it and charge a oversize fee because I'm not playing by the rules. Allowed to bring 4 rods into mexico/cabo.
Don't know about most airlines, but I do know all airlines post their regs for all to see.

Your "2 rods" thing sounds like part of Alaska's reg where they count two rods and one tackle box as one piece of checked baggage.

Checked bags are limited by size and weight, not contents*.
A rod tube is just a piece of checked baggage.

I only fly with rods from SNA to WRG on Alaska, so I can't speak to any other airline or route.
I put a tie wrap through the lock hole on my 7 rod bazooka and duck tape a spare tie wrap to the tube.
They always cut the tie wrap and stick their 'searched' tag inside the tube.
Sometimes they use my replacement tie wrap.
Usually they put their own tie wrap back on it when they're done inspecting it, and my spare is still on the tube.

(*for items not listed as restricted or prohibited, of course.)

[pro tip for those who travel in groups with multiple rod tubes: Duck tape two rod tubes together and pay for one checked bag. Check the linear regs for your airline. For instance, Alaska allows 115 linear (L+W+H) inches. A seven foot tube leaves you 15"Wx15"H to work with.]

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
You're misunderstanding me-I had a 7'6" surfboard bag and a rod tube with 4 rods for which they only charged me the fee for a second checked bag after my small suitcase filled to the brim with tackle was counted as the first. Same deal with surfboards, policy states two per bag but they rarely if ever check. And if you wrap them in towels so they can't really tell they really won't undo your packing.

Last edited:
Reactions: jiggermyster