Flying Southwest Airlines to PV

Discussion in 'Mainland Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by bravomeister, Feb 8, 2016.

1. bravomeister

bravomeister Member

Name:
    Alex Bravo
    Boat:
    Dusky 19
    Has anyone flown to Puerto Vallarta on Southwest Airlines from John Wayne airport in Orange County with their rod case as checked baggage? If so, were their any limitations on size? Members of our group are planning on taking Plano Bazooka rod cases checked as second bags, but we wanted to check on if anyone had any difficulties flying with normal size rod cases in and out of John Wayne airport? Thanks.

2. doncatfish

doncatfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    25' Hydra-Sport
    Alex, I just flew to PV from John Wayne last month on Southwest. I didn't take any gear this trip, but on all my Cabo flights I've taken the bazooka rod case with 10 rods, which I do a few times each year with no hassles from Southwest. They charge $75 each way for the rod case, and Mexico will charge an import tax if you bring more than 4 rods per person. It's best to ensure you have a friend or two without rods with you as you go into customs, and tell the customs officer you each have 4 rods or so upfront.

At the PV airport coming home, the Southwest folks who checked in our ice chests were very strict with the weight rules. No charge if less than 50 pounds, $50 surcharge if between 50 and 70 lbs (32 kilos), and they will not accept anything above 32 kilos. We should have taken a hand scale to weigh our ice chests first, it was quite the cluster as we shoved frozen ahi from a couple of our ice chests into our carry on bags.

Good luck!

Johnny J likes this.
  3. DH10

DH10 Member

Name:
    Dave Harper
    Boat:
    17 Crestliner
    I always bring my cheap electronic fish scale to weigh my bags...you can be sure when you are packing them up, and high grade the stuff you really want if you are over. I have found the staff at hotels, rental car agencies and airports love fresh fish:D

One time, before I brought the scale, I was over weight, and shoved some filets in my suitcase. They had some secondary search going on at the Cabo airport, and the ladies told us frozen items were not allowed on carry on (?) Totally random Mexican airport bullshit, but some people got some fresh sierra that day....

4. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    n/a
    Don't forget Southwest will want your cooler wrapped in plastic if it is a standard hard cooler. I had a canvas soft cooler with the fish put in a black trash back, but they still wrapped the entire cooler in an additional black trash bag...just a heads up.

5. PescadorPete

PescadorPete Here, Fishy, Fishy!

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo13 (LJ), American Angler (SD), Success (PV)
    Slightly off topic, Alaska Airlines counts a tackle bag and rod tube as one piece of luggage. You have to remind the agent that is the case. So my filet cooler and rod tube count as one. No surcharge for the rod tube. Saves $$$.

6. Paul Dennis

Paul Dennis Member

Name:
    Paul Dennis
    Boat:
    26 ft Boulton
    just got back via Alaska; good news and bad. No problem with my 7 ft. Plano bazooka going down with 13 rods cramed in it (told customs there were for four of us including my granddaughter (5) and they said ok at pv customs.) Alaska now gives one free bag each way if you have their credit card. Bad news is the weather really sucked so fishing was off. Also, my son in law's cell phone was ripped off out of his checked bag with little empathy from Alaska. ("flyer beware").

Johnny J likes this.
  7. BAJA.DESERT.RAT

BAJA.DESERT.RAT Member

Name:
    DA RAT
    Boat:
    NONE
    hola,

what about reels with line on them ? still have to be in checked luggage ?

theft problems ?

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

8. Normslanding

Normslanding I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    Reels with line on them must be checked. Without line they will carry on.
    I take a cheep drill motor and empty spools for removing line on conventional reels. Spinners the spools go in the checked bag. Some times the Mexican TSA's miss the line in X-ray, BUT usually you will have to remove the line or check the reels. Easier to remove the line and avoid the hassle and delay.

9. Johnny J

Johnny J Formally INOXicated

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    I don't think I want to remove the line on 2 50's and a 30w. 13 days to go Alex. How many rods you packing?

10. Shogunsc4

Shogunsc4 Member

Name:
    Sheki
    Boat:
    na
    Hey john, how are you packing your stuff just curisous since this is my first time. We bring a cooler?

11. Tuna Hawk

Tuna Hawk Member

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Nope
    Great topic. Plan on taking similiar trip out of John Wayne but heading to Cabo.

12. bravomeister

bravomeister Member

Name:
    Alex Bravo
    Boat:
    Dusky 19
    John, I am bringing 4 rods and reels since that is what Mexican customs allows without charging a duty. I know that they check sometimes.

13. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    I am also booked on one of these SW flights to PV in March and was wondering if I could get some info. I will traveling solo and meeting the group.

I will be checking the reels and tackle due to the line deal.

1- has anyone ever had any reels stolen?
    2- What kind of bag is best for the reels-is it better to just put them in suitcase instead of a fishing type bag to look less likely to get stolen?
    3- how often is the 4 reel/rods thing checked at PV?
    4-what is best way to put rods in bazooka case so they don't get damaged?

thanks for your help. for some reason I am more concerned about the air /tackle/customs/possible theft situation than anything else.

14. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    I am also booked on one of these SW flights to PV in March and was wondering if I could get some info. I will traveling solo and meeting the group.

I will be checking the reels and tackle due to the line deal.

1- has anyone ever had any reels stolen?
    2- What kind of bag is best for the reels-is it better to just put them in suitcase instead of a fishing type bag to look less likely to get stolen?
    3- how often is the 4 reel/rods thing checked at PV?
    4-what is best way to put rods in bazooka case so they don't get damaged?

thanks for your help. for some reason I am more concerned about the air /tackle/customs/possible theft situation than anything else.

15. graya

graya Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Guadalupe Raya
    Boat:
    none
    Just Got back in from PV today I took my rods and reels four rods and four reels allowed I had 6 and 6 and and got delayed in customs and my friend went first got a red light and had to pay 20 dollars on two rods and reels I had to pay fees on the 2 rods and 2 reels they charge 16% on the value of the rods and reels I got charged only on a 100 value for the extra rods and reels I got away easy only 20 buck and be prepared they only take pesos I had my rods on a skb tube no problems checking them in on south west or delta reels you can take as a carry on on south west no problem on coming home you have to check them in or remove the line so you can carry them be careful on the bazookas if too thick you will have to pay extra on my way back I put my reels on the middle of my luggage and put a little lock after I checked in the luggage if you carry and ice chest it will count as a bag

vegasandre likes this.
  16. PescadorPete

PescadorPete Here, Fishy, Fishy!

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo13 (LJ), American Angler (SD), Success (PV)
    Just back from my third trip down there.
    1- I've never had stuff stolen, maybe I'm just lucky.
    2- I put my reel bag inside my large duffel luggage bag. Then it's not an obvious reel bag out on it's own. I have TSA locks that indicate if they have been opened. They always get opened on the way down, I've never seen them opened on the trip back.
    3- Depends if you get the random green light or red light at customs. If the red light comes up, they will search your gear.
    4- I have a SKB rod case. I found some pool noodle looking stuff at Home Depot with a wide inside diameter that is used for pipe insulation. I slip the rods into this for extra protection and then into the case.

vegasandre likes this.
  17. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    thank you guys for the info, that helps me a ton, looks like I am going to get those tsa locks too. I may try to bring 6 setups and bring some pesos in case :)

How was the fishing on your trips?
    thanks

18. Johnny J

Johnny J Formally INOXicated

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    Parking at john Wayne??? Somebody told me you can park at a nearby hotel and they will shuttle you over???

19. Crashburn

Crashburn Executive Board Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Never Ever Again 7 has been enough !
    What's the price difference between Southwest / JW and LAX / Alaska ?

20. Zed

Zed W...X...Y...

Name:
    Z
    Boat:
    Yak or Cattle; NO Goats
    Bump.
    Any recent Southwest experiences w rod tubes to PV from OC? Are they still 5050 on the $75 rod tube charge each way?