Flying fish scent

Dexter Outdoors

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
So who produces the most effective flying fish scent :rolleyes:? Pro cure, berkley, uni butter, ect? Apply to a rubber yummy flyer, flat fallers, ect. Tiny piece of sponge saturated in the #1 surface tunafish explosive reaction attractant? Or soak the yummy in the flying fish juice for knee jerk reaction bites and scent trail? Poke holes in the yummy for absorption and scent trail? Or the scent is super sticky and adheres to the lure for 1 deployment. While creating a scent trail to key in on?

c7961ac5b98a4367399fb4d1e6185f22.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Exactly. Real flying fish essence needs to be extracted and if possible. Concentrated

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

watersdeep

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
P U That's going to leave a smell!

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
I’m not sure if this thread was a joke or not so I’m going to start off with I came from farmland where we had barns full of animals. The animal crap smells better than any frozen dead flyer that stuff don’t come out for days... but second on a real topic.. i don’t see a need or use in flying fish smell because when a tuna sees a flyer from down deep or out 50 or so feet you can’t tell me they can smell that it just does not seem possible. Especially if a tuna is 100-200 feet deep they won’t smell any flyer i would thibk

Reactions: bbuck and eat'm_raw
Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I’m not sure if this thread was a joke or not so I’m going to start off with I came from farmland where we had barns full of animals. The animal crap smells better than any frozen dead flyer that stuff don’t come out for days... but second on a real topic.. i don’t see a need or use in flying fish smell because when a tuna sees a flyer from down deep or out 50 or so feet you can’t tell me they can smell that it just does not seem possible. Especially if a tuna is 100-200 feet deep they won’t smell any flyer i would thibk
Here are some of my thoughts.
Humans don't really need a keen sense of smell, sight, hearing etc. to survive, and so they don't use them to their extreme.

Animals, on the other hand, do need their keen senses and do use them to survive. So just because it seems implausible that a fish can smell a flyer from 100 feet away to a human, it's possible that a fish can, as the scent is carried through the water.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Here are some of my thoughts.
    Humans don't really need a keen sense of smell, sight, hearing etc. to survive, and so they don't use them to their extreme.

Animals, on the other hand, do need their keen senses and do use them to survive. So just because it seems implausible that a fish can smell a flyer from 100 feet away to a human, it's possible that a fish can, as the scent is carried through the water.
    Who knows... Maybe you can train a pig to smell for tuna. Sell them on Tuna Pig.com for big money. Oink-oink...

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    One thing that if it's ever produced I will not touch or buy. Those little bastards stink

I also think we way over think this stuff. Flyers are more of a reaction bite, the fish sees/hears it hitting the water and reacts which is why you get the big blow up bites. It's not like a shark coming in on the chum line or fishing the chunk bait where their slurping it down

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first or last time

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    On a long range boat there is massive bait supply with water flow in the tanks. Sardines, macks and when you make flying fish those are in the tanks. Huge bait scent that should do the trick. However the kite works very well outside of the noise and scent range of a boat. So I think noise distracts fish but fish are keying on sight. Tuna are opportunistic animals. When the current is running they come from behind a bait and they love flying fish cause they can ambush them on the surface.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Wow some of you dudes really suck. No wonder why I got flamed for 5 pages in 2004 for fishing a short fluoro top shot. On, All Coast

So not going to put much time into this besides copying and pasting a private conversation

"All great hunters see with all their senses. Chunk bite is by smell and they find the chunk line by smell mostly. Scent works and can't hurt. Thats why there are so many scents availible. Plus the fishes nano second reaction to spit a foreign object slows down to less of a nano second.

Fuck that. I would coat the shit out of my flatfall with flyer butter or squid butter. You would too. Everyone would and the captain. A BFT is swimming by all the zero scented lures falling will key in on my lure that smells like another fish. Which just happens to be the smell of a flying fish. My lure would taste good

I got flamed on All Coast for 5 pages. For fishing a short top shot. Something about I will pull hooks and burn the entire boat off and cause massive problems. That did not happen in any of my reports"

Uni_Butter-1.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Flying fish scent is bad LOL and repulsive to a tunafish :D How dumb does that sound

Ever heard of Berkley Gulp scents? Those who think stinky scent is lame. You are very wrong

1236977.jpg

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    I don't think a flyer butter would hurt. So the artificial bait tastes good with scent trail. Spit back out slower. Especially with a metal lure. Will bump this thread when flyer butter is availible :D

FB_IMG_1612747842646.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    The idea of condensed concentrated flying fish smell makes me want to puke.

What does that smell make a tuna want to do? Puke or swallow?

Overly stimulated from the smell or does flying fish scent leave tuna feeling lethargic and in fear?

Giant YFT and BFT hunt flyers for sport. Cat and mouse. Just watch hurricane bank when giants are chasing flyers. That's cat and mouse, sport feeding

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    When they interview that first TUNA..... I got allot of questions to ask!! Until then throw it ALL in the water.... and note what happens. Different conditions ..... different chances. Note it all and decide for yourself.

If on your next LR trip.... you watched some farmer from Virginia coat his lures with "concentrated Skunk oil".... and get 3 fish over 200#s..... time to try it yet? But it stinks....lol.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    I have 5 YFT Cows. 2 supers, 283, 220, 209. And a 198.2. dock weighed

Only one Cow sardine fish the 283 flyline. And 1 kite Cow 209 on double trouble Cabs

The rest came on a juvenile YFT, Skipjack, and Greenies

Most radical kite bites have come on the flyers. Over stimulates the tuna. Nothing over 2

Saw a good one caught on a trigger fish

Last edited:
    Upvote 0