Flyfishing through Idaho, Owyhee, and Truckee. Tips please!

DanielKang83

Apr 24, 2008
Southern California
Name
DK
Boat
1", Dell, Mom
Hey guys,

I'm actually flying out to Boise tomorrow to pick up a car I'm buying from a private seller. Got one heck of a deal hence why I'm willing to fly out to Idaho from California.

A buddy of mine is joining and we decided to make an epic road trip back to Los Angeles. Just could use some tips

Plans

• Thursday: Depart Los Angeles -> Arrive Boise @ 12:30PM, pick up the car, stop by a local shop grab some supplies and camping gear and drive to the Owyhee River in Oregon. Someone recommended fishing near the Rock Tunnel, heard that location is good a mile or two above or below the tunnel. Anyone have any other spots? Also are there restrictions for camping? We were going to buy a tent and sleep there instead of driving back to town.
  • Friday: Wake up, fish the Owyhee for the morning bite. Then leave and drive down 7 hours to Truckee.
  • Saturday: Go hit up the Truckee River. Now this is where I need some help. I have never been in this area and don't really know where to fish. If you guys have any spots that you recommend I would appreciate it.
  • Sunday: Wake up, grab a nice brunch, drive near Lake Tahoe and take in the sights, and drive back to Los Angeles.

If you guys have any tips or maybe areas we should try please go ahead and send your input. We have until Sunday to get back to California. Appreciate it! I'll make sure to take lots of pictures and update this thread when I get back

Cheers,

DK

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Hey guys,

I'm actually flying out to Boise tomorrow to pick up a car I'm buying from a private seller. Got one heck of a deal hence why I'm willing to fly out to Idaho from California.

A buddy of mine is joining and we decided to make an epic road trip back to Los Angeles. Just could use some tips

Plans

• Thursday: Depart Los Angeles -> Arrive Boise @ 12:30PM, pick up the car, stop by a local shop grab some supplies and camping gear and drive to the Owyhee River in Oregon. Someone recommended fishing near the Rock Tunnel, heard that location is good a mile or two above or below the tunnel. Anyone have any other spots? Also are there restrictions for camping? We were going to buy a tent and sleep there instead of driving back to town.
  • Friday: Wake up, fish the Owyhee for the morning bite. Then leave and drive down 7 hours to Truckee.
  • Saturday: Go hit up the Truckee River. Now this is where I need some help. I have never been in this area and don't really know where to fish. If you guys have any spots that you recommend I would appreciate it.
  • Sunday: Wake up, grab a nice brunch, drive near Lake Tahoe and take in the sights, and drive back to Los Angeles.

If you guys have any tips or maybe areas we should try please go ahead and send your input. We have until Sunday to get back to California. Appreciate it! I'll make sure to take lots of pictures and update this thread when I get back

Cheers,

DK
Ask your question here:

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=2&page=1

It's the local board for the Owyhee.

You're going to face some issues as the flow is extremely low at 25 CFS, which is basically the seepage from the dam:

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/cgi-bin/fishing-report-oregon-owyhee

The fish are in spawning mode, so they will be leaving the deeper holes to spawn in flowing water. They are extremely vulnerable and there is high risk that you will be walking on their redds. Purists will not fish the spawn due to the risk of stepping on redds and the fact that the fish are pretty beat up.

3/4 of the Canyon below the dam burned this year, though I'm told the hatches have already come back.

There are so many spots to fish on the Owyhee. Dry fly fishermen fish it on conditions, not spots. Anyone who fixates on a spot like the areas above and below the tunnel are really missing out on quite a bit. That is a sure indication that they need to step up their game a couple levels.

TheShark

Fish Gypsy
Feb 4, 2003
Bitterroot River Hamilton Montana
Name
Shelly Ehmer
Boat
Anything I can row
Fishing has been good on the Truckee..
The girls are gettin them - not sure on exact spots, sounded pretty good all over - I was supposed to be fishing there Nov 8th, but Im headed to Mexico for a trip :)

Too bad you wont be near the Missouri river - that is kicking butt now - we will be getting a storm on Sunday though.

River X (O) - not sure - sorry

Have a great trip!

Latest posts