Flurocarbon Leader to Spectra mainline...??? How do you use it?

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
I misspelled Fluorocarbon in the heading^^^ Please don't rub it in...OCD

I know everybody has their opinions, but I'm pretty sold on fluorocarbon leader. I see a lot of people conveying to just stick with mono, and I do not disagree, but there are "CLEAR" advantages to Fluorocarbon; whether it be line or leader...Pun intended...Harder to see under water, less stretch than mono, more abrasion resistance, does not absorb water and thus a higher breaking strength when wet.

Everyone seems to compare Fluorocarbon leader and Fluorocarbon line, but differences being (speaking to Seaguar Fluorocarbon products) Fluorocarbon line is one standard composite piece of material and generally more flexible and pliable, for casting abilities; where the Fluorocarbon leader has a stiff inner core and a softer or more pliable outer "coating" (still one piece of composite material, and thus the added expense of Fluorocarbon leader vs. Fluorocarbon line) for increased knot strength and integrity.

They both have their place, and in saying that I am leaning toward a Spectra backing with Fluorocarbon leader on most of my setups. I see fit to use no more than 1-2 yards of Fluorocarbon leader on most every setup, whether fly lining, yo-yo, dropper loop, etc; I would still use 100 yards of Mono or Fluro line, with Spectra backing for surface jigging. I understand a longer leader lends itself to creating more distance between the bait and Spectra, along with allowing more material for re-tying in case of breakage, abrasions, or switching rigs, but would not a longer leader affect casting through contact with rod guides to some degree?

Relating to mainly yellowtail and tuna setups, wanted to hear your opinions on how you use the fluorocarbon leader...for fly-lining, surface jigging, yo-yo jigging, dropper loop; how many feet or yards of fluorocarbon do you use for leader on each given setup.

What # Fluoro leader do you use to a given Spectra backing; higher, lower, or equal # rating of lines??? Does using a 65# Spectra tied to 30# or 40# leader affect knot integrity or strength to any degree; due to diameter difference of lines?

Thanks for any input you may give.

qtrracer

Jan 17, 2010
Simi Valley, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
none
Flylining bait and I never tie flouro to spectra. I use wind on's.

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
I use and improved albright (if i tie floro or mono to spectra ), most my 30 to 40 reels have 65 spectra, some have 50 to 100 yd mono top shots, then 2 to 3 ' of floro..
for floro to mono I use uni to uni most of the time....

Hope that helps...

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
Aug 8, 2008
Newport
Name
Scott
Boat
21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
Have you ever tried using solid rings to connect the main and leader? Simple and effective especially for light line.
mzGfqk1BjDhCVpJ6ro1Tj2g.jpg

mzGfqk1BjDhCVpJ6ro1Tj2g.jpg

Reactions: Fincutter

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper
Check out the youtube on the double grinner knot with mike cannon. If you are tying anything less than 40 lbs it is a 100 % knot. Or you can tie a triple surgeon's knot, ie 6 turns. If you are only using 3 to 6 feet of fluoro, any reliable knot will do since the leader will probably never touch the top guide. If you are using a topshot of mono then the best connection is to splice it into the spectra.

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
Fly lining bait and I never tie flouro to spectra. I use wind on's.

I have been looking at the wind on leader, and seem like a good option when fish are boiling, for quick rig changes and when breaks occur.

Thanks for that input.

I use and improved albright (if i tie floro or mono to spectra ), most my 30 to 40 reels have 65 spectra, some have 50 to 100 yd mono top shots, then 2 to 3 ' of floro..
for floro to mono I use uni to uni most of the time....

Hope that helps...

Helps a lot...Most of my setups will be similar, using 20#-50# Fluorocarbon leaders and 40#-80# spectra backing, for their respective outfits. Thanks for the knot info too, so many options in that department.

Have you ever tried using solid rings to connect the main and leader? Simple and effective especially for light line.
View attachment 471164

I have never checked out solid rings for leader connections, or anything else for that matter. That seems like a great idea for connection integrity, knot strength, and ability to change rigs quickly for varying situations. Right up my alley, considering I will be using such a short leader. I think I am sold on the ring for leader attachment.

Thank you Second Row.

Check out the youtube on the double grinner knot with mike cannon. If you are tying anything less than 40 lbs it is a 100 % knot. Or you can tie a triple surgeon's knot, ie 6 turns. If you are only using 3 to 6 feet of fluoro, any reliable knot will do since the leader will probably never touch the top guide. If you are using a topshot of mono then the best connection is to splice it into the spectra.

Thanks for the advice maxpowers. I will check it out and heed your advice with using a short leader.

Thanks again for the replies everyone!

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
X2. You can make your own wind ons. Not hard to do but if you buy only buy from Basils wind ons. Basil is da man!

Researched Basil wind on leaders and he makes some good quality products, and uses quality components like Momoi and Seaguar Fluorocarbon leaders. If I purchase, vs. making my own, I will be going with Basil's products.

Thanks for that info Tunavato!

Another leader/topshot question... I understand limited leader length, but I see some people on the forum saying a long topshot over a braid backing...why a topshot of 100+ yds of mono??? Not down-playing anybody's setup, but would not such a long topshot (100 yards or more) over a braid backing kind of make the braid backing not necessary?

I am doing mostly inshore and island fishing and don't see the topshot line getting out that far to use the braid as designed; other than fishing in offshore, open water where the fish can make a long run without the strong worry of getting hung up on kelp or snagged on a rock. With a BIG fish on the line, even in open water, if a fish ran with over 100 yds of topshot and brought out the braid, I would still feel more comfortable with a fish on a leader out 150 yds backed by 148 yds of braid vs. a fisn on a topshot out 150 yds backed by 50 yds of braid.

Just my opinion and feelings on this one, but what do you guys think?

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Name
Pat
Boat
Hobie kayak
Long topshots over braid backing are certainly useful for those who prefer to cast irons with mono. The spectra backing does not have to be frequently replaced and provides large line capacity. Also, I have used long mono topshots on my bait rigs because many boats and crews discourage the use of short topshots. That thinking is slowly changing, but certainly it takes more skill to handle braid than mono without getting into horrible tangles. With a long topshot, most of the line handling is done with user-friendly mono, while the spectra backing provides ample backup capacity.

HermosaJoe

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 31, 2010
Hermosa CA
For inshore and island fishing all bets are off regarding all that braid backing. Your fish is gonna be in the rocks/kelp, if he's taken 100 yard of line to begin with, unless it's a dumb ghost that goes straight out to sea.

For most offshore fishing 300-350 yards of line is fine. The only exception would be if you've already got 150 yards plus out on a long-soak for BFT—which is why I won't fish offshore with less than 450 yards of line on a bait rig.

For Alijos/Guadalupe, I only feel secure with 450+ yards of line on a reel. You're often long-soakin' a bait at 100-150 yds, so you really want that extra braid on your reel.

I only use mono anywhere in my arsenal as a long topshot on my jig (surface iron and yoyo iron) reels. Don't feel I need the capacity for them, and I don't like the feeling of fishing with braid with jigs (just me—others will differ).

On length of FC leader: (if you're tying the FC to mono, ignore this.) There are times when a short (less than 10') leader won't get bit that well because the fish see the braid and shy away. Not often, but it does happen. So, I like at least 15' of FC.

Oh, and I use loop-to-loop leaders, too. There is something cool about catching a personal best on a leader you made yourself. :)

One man's opinion, Scott, take it with a grain of salt (on a rim of a glass with a margarita inside!). There are a lot of approaches to this. The absolute key is to master whatever approach you take, so you can pull on 40lb like it's really 40lb!

Good fishing, bro, and welcome to BD.

Oh, and we can read your post without the BOLDFACE text. But if you like the BOLDFACE, have at it. We can read that, too. :)

Joe

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
Long topshots over braid backing are certainly useful for those who prefer to cast irons with mono. The spectra backing does not have to be frequently replaced and provides large line capacity. Also, I have used long mono topshots on my bait rigs because many boats and crews discourage the use of short topshots. That thinking is slowly changing, but certainly it takes more skill to handle braid than mono without getting into horrible tangles. With a long topshot, most of the line handling is done with user-friendly mono, while the spectra backing provides ample backup capacity.

I never though about braid being difficult in tangles, and not welcome with open arms on a party boat. Unfortunate, but makes a lot of sense.

Thanks pmurphy.

For inshore and island fishing all bets are off regarding all that braid backing. Your fish is gonna be in the rocks/kelp, if he's taken 100 yard of line to begin with, unless it's a dumb ghost that goes straight out to sea.

For most offshore fishing 300-350 yards of line is fine. The only exception would be if you've already got 150 yards plus out on a long-soak for BFT—which is why I won't fish offshore with less than 450 yards of line on a bait rig.

For Alijos/Guadalupe, I only feel secure with 450+ yards of line on a reel. You're often long-soakin' a bait at 100-150 yds, so you really want that extra braid on your reel.

I only use mono anywhere in my arsenal as a long topshot on my jig (surface iron and yoyo iron) reels. Don't feel I need the capacity for them, and I don't like the feeling of fishing with braid with jigs (just me—others will differ).

On length of FC leader: (if you're tying the FC to mono, ignore this.) There are times when a short (less than 10') leader won't get bit that well because the fish see the braid and shy away. Not often, but it does happen. So, I like at least 15' of FC.

Oh, and I use loop-to-loop leaders, too. There is something cool about catching a personal best on a leader you made yourself. :)

One man's opinion, Scott, take it with a grain of salt (on a rim of a glass with a margarita inside!). There are a lot of approaches to this. The absolute key is to master whatever approach you take, so you can pull on 40lb like it's really 40lb!

Good fishing, bro, and welcome to BD.

Oh, and we can read your post without the BOLDFACE text. But if you like the BOLDFACE, have at it. We can read that, too. :)

Joe

Thank you for the insight Joe, and thank you for the welcome to BD! I accept what you are saying in every aspect and will use that new knowledge.

Pretty much set on leader theory, ready for real world applications, but...Last question about leader...

Any knots recommended for Fluorocarbon leader to Braid, that will allow the knot and leader to pass easily through the rod guides?

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    The only time(s) I don't use a short, less than 10', fluoro leader and long topshot is halibut fishing or, God forbid, I find myself on a sportboat.
    For hali fishing I like mono to tie a spider hitch for a reverse dropper loop type setup.
    For a sportboat I like to cut my line as soon as I tangle everyone up and then quickly tie on another hook and get out into less crowded waters :D
    Respooling with Spectra gets spendy. I like my Spectra to the top.

Delta Mike

You like soup?
    Feb 18, 2013
    Cleveland/Steubenville/Yuma
    www.semperfidelis.com
    Name
    Darren
    Boat
    "I wish"
    The only time(s) I don't use a short, less than 10', fluoro leader and long topshot is halibut fishing or, God forbid, I find myself on a sportboat.
    For hali fishing I like mono to tie a spider hitch for a reverse dropper loop type setup.
    For a sportboat I like to cut my line as soon as I tangle everyone up and then quickly tie on another hook and get out into less crowded waters :D
    Respooling with Spectra gets spendy. I like my Spectra to the top.
    Absolutely brilliant.