Capt. Scott Goodwin
Jan 11, 2007
Merritt Island, Florida
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Capt. Scott Goodwin
Boat
Morgan 24, Glasser 16'8
Everyone knows that choosing the best leader and rigging it properly is an important component to success, especially in clear-water environments. But when you’re talking about yellowfin tuna in offshore territory, using the right leader becomes utterly critical — particularly when the fish are taking static or slow-moving offerings and they have plenty of time to slap their big eyeballs on your bait. This one factor can make the difference between hero and zero on any given day of fishing.

yfin-1.jpg

Of all the tuna species, yellowfin have the highest concentration of bright-light photoreceptors (cones) in their eyes, with 406 per 0.1 mm square (“Vision in Tunas and Marlin,” Gunzo Kawamura, Waichiro Nishimura, Soichi Ueda, Nishi, and Tooru Nishi, Kagoshima University Research Center for the South Pacific).

To simply say that their vision is acute would be the understatement of the year, and these fish are...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pacificscout

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
Aug 22, 2020
Opelika al
Name
Quinn L Chenelle
Boat
Independence
One tip you forgot Flouro transmits light just like fiber opitic devices, I always when possible: melt tthe end of the line with a lighter or small torch, I crimp for the most part, so after I feed the line thru the crimp I melt the end snug it to the crimp and crimp

Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
Mar 3, 2017
Northern California
Name
Crowman
Boat
YES
One tip you forgot Flouro transmits light just like fiber opitic devices, I always when possible: melt tthe end of the line with a lighter or small torch, I crimp for the most part, so after I feed the line thru the crimp I melt the end snug it to the crimp and crimp
That why lines are colored is to prevent what is called "piping" of light down the center of all mono's. Alway's wondered why there was pink and other colors leader material till I found a good article about the why they do it.

Upvote 0