Fluorocarbon for 3, 10 and 16 day LR trips.

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    BD,
    Wondering how much Fluorocarbon in what # test everyone is taking out on the water?

I’ve got 20, 25, 30, 40 plus a little 50 and 80.

The larger 100# and up is expensive. I want to be wise on my heavy Fluorocarbon purchases.

Thanks

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    January usually sees a lot of clearances at tackle stores. After XMAS markdowns, discontinuing of certain lines, etc. Unless you are heading out in the next six weeks, I suggest that you wait and then start looking after the new year. I get a bunch ln January every year, discounted as much as half.

Reactions: Tsmithson
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    BD,
    Wondering how much Fluorocarbon in what # test everyone is taking out on the water?

I’ve got 20, 25, 30, 40 plus a little 50 and 80.

The larger 100# and up is expensive. I want to be wise on my heavy Fluorocarbon purchases.

Thanks
    If you’re worried about the price of flouro,
    Then maybe you picked the wrong sport,
    My 2 cents.

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    My 2 cents.

That and prefacing the question with up to a 16 day trips.. I typically fish up to 3 day trip due to work and I have everything from 15-200lb flouro across different brands. Going on a LR and being frugal about line is a recipe for not being able to hook/land fish of a lifetime. Just saying.

Reactions: kayakbeast33
    Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    My 2 cents.
    Lol
    I wish it was just one wrong sport. Then I could afford it EZ. I was using Fluorocarbon fly fishing back in 2003 and it was not cheap then. It’s the $$$$$ Elk, deer and pig hunting. European optics, fly fishing and archery Coues deer hunting next month. Guns, shooting, photography, cameras and lenses. My archery arrows are over $50 a piece. Believe me, I’m not crying over Fluorocarbon prices but I have had some tackle shops sell me things that I did not really need. That is why I love BD for intel on what is working.

I‘m just asking for some good intel on what pound test‘s of Fluorocarbon are the important ones to have for big game fishing LR out of San Diego. I’m sure I will have a great selection but I want to make sure I’m heavy on the important ones.
    I know it’s a simple answer for you long range experts.

Thanks

Upvote 0

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
    Sep 28, 2011
    Mountain View
    Name
    Jonny
    Boat
    SD landings
    I think what you want is below. This is my take, which others will differ on.

3 Day:
    w/o Big Bluefin:
    20, 25, 30, 40 - 25 yards of each min, prefer 50.
    50, 60, 80 - likely not needed
    w/ big bluefin:
    add to the lower line classes the following:
    50, 60, 80 - 25 yards etc
    100, 130 / heavy leader - ask someone else how much

10 Day: (this one is hard, as it could be guadalupe, lower banks or neither)
    20, 25, 30
    - 25 yards each (likely wont use these, but if you end up on line shy bluefin, good to have)
    40, 50, 60 - 50 yards each minimum. Depending on fishing location, strongly consider 25 additional yards of one or more.
    80, 100 - 25 or 50 yards, depending on possible destinations
    130 - 25 yards if lower banks is in play, none otherwise

16 day:
    Wahoo --- User preference, I fish 60 for bait and heavier for lures, in case a tuna bites... EDIT: I'm on these longer trips for Tuna. I'll fishing wahoo if thats the only game in town, but im not targeting them --- If you want to catch wahoo, listen to others.

60 - 25 yards (maybe 50) for either Wahoo or if you end up in only small tuna
    80 - 50 yards
    100, 130 - 100 to 150 (recommended) yards
    150 or 170 - optional but 25 yards recommended - big bait, night fishing, chunk at night, etc.

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    20-200lb will have you covered
    Copy that.
    $1,000 in fluorocarbon.

I was hoping that jumping a few sizes would be good enough.
    #80, #100, #130, #200.

Also do you have 100 yds or more of some sizes and only 50 yds of others?

I have 100yds of 20, 25, 30, 40.
    25 yards of 50, 80.
    I plan to get at least 100 yds of 80 and at least 50 yds or more of 100, 130, 200.

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No

3 Day:
    w/o Big Bluefin:
    w/ big bluefin:

20, 25, 30
    - 25 yards each (likely wont use these, but if you end up on line shy bluefin, good to have)
    40, 50, 60 - 50 yards each minimum. Depending on fishing location, strongly consider 25 additional yards of one or more.

16 day:
    Wahoo --- User preference, I fish 60 for bait and heavier for lures, in case a tuna bites... EDIT: I'm on these longer trips for Tuna. I'll fishing wahoo if thats the only game in town, but im not targeting them --- If you want to catch wahoo, listen to others.

80 - 50 yards
    150 or 170 - optional but 25 yards recommended - big bait, night fishing, chunk at night, etc.
    Great post.
    Thanks

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Lol
    I wish it was just one wrong sport. Then I could afford it EZ. I was using Fluorocarbon fly fishing back in 2003 and it was not cheap then. It’s the $$$$$ Elk, deer and pig hunting. European optics, fly fishing and archery Coues deer hunting next month. Guns, shooting, photography, cameras and lenses. My archery arrows are over $50 a piece. Believe me, I’m not crying over Fluorocarbon prices but I have had some tackle shops sell me things that I did not really need. That is why I love BD for intel on what is working.

I‘m just asking for some good intel on what pound test‘s of Fluorocarbon are the important ones to have for big game fishing LR out of San Diego. I’m sure I will have a great selection but I want to make sure I’m heavy on the important ones.

Thanks
    Plan on spending anywhere from $800-$1600 dollars on your initial investment of fluorocarbon for trips 8-16 days. that would be a couple of each #lb spools.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    I have a bunch of Yozuri clear and some Seagar pink for sale

Reactions: FishRock
    T
    Tsmithson
    Melton International Tackle has buy three and get the fourth free on Seaguar Blue Label Fluorocarbon.
    I got 100yds of 20, 25, 30, 40, 2x50, 60, 80# yesterday. The base price on the 80# per yard was half what I paid in a shop 6 months ago. Then throw 200 yards in for free and I feel good about the purchase.
    After Christmas I’ll see if I can find some Seaguar Fluoro Premier on sale in the 100, 130 & 200#.
    Thanks
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none

3 Day:
    w/o Big Bluefin:
    w/ big bluefin:

20, 25, 30

16 day:

80 - 50 yards

I like what you've posted.. I have some of my Wahoo bombs and jigs set up with 150 to 200 pound fluro. At Lupe this year I was using 60 and 80.

Upvote 0

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
    Jul 7, 2016
    oro valley az
    Name
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    If your heavy flouro application allows, night, big bait, bombs, Momoi X is the toughest line around and way cheaper than flouro.

T
    Tsmithson
    When I first looked up Momoi X I got a racy, curvaceous, pink haired cartoon character.

It appears that fishing line can cause a bad case of eye strain. Lol
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Copy that.
    $1,000 in fluorocarbon.

I was hoping that jumping a few sizes would be good enough.
    #80, #100, #130, #200.

Also do you have 100 yds or more of some sizes and only 50 yds of others?

I have 100yds of 20, 25, 30, 40.
    25 yards of 50, 80.
    I plan to get at least 100 yds of 80 and at least 50 yds or more of 100, 130, 200.
    What I use is 20, 30, 40, 60, 80, 100 & 200. You may need 130, but I haven’t run into a situation yet where I needed to.

Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
    Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego North County
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Chelsea Rae
    There is another way of doing this instead of dropping a truckload of cash on Flouro you may or may not use in larger test......Buy 25ft wind on leaders in Flouro....Loop to Loop connection....you could probably cover 80 through 130 for less than 100 dollars

I think Basil is still in business

Very nice in a hot bite to make a end loop in your braid and loop the wind on and tie a hook and presto....back in the game.

Just another option

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    There is another way of doing this instead of dropping a truckload of cash on Flouro you may or may not use in larger test......Buy 25ft wind on leaders in Flouro....Loop to Loop connection....you could probably cover 80 through 130 for less than 100 dollars

Very nice in a hot bite to make a end loop in your braid and loop the wind on and tie a hook and presto....back in the game.

Just another option
    That’s a great idea.
    Thanks

It would be nice to learn how to make my own.
    Not sure if I would save any money after buying all the materials and tools.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

baja_01

May 29, 2015
    Name
    Ryan F
    Boat
    panga

Just another option
    Just got in an order from Basil, quality as always.

I love wind-ons, makes everything so simple. Just learn to do a bimi or Australian braid loop and you are good to go.

Upvote 0

AZChrome

Aug 16, 2021
    AZ
    Name
    Spencer
    Boat
    No boat

Thanks

$50 EACH ARROW? Man what arrows, heads and inserts are you running?

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    $50 EACH ARROW? Man what arrows, heads and inserts are you running?
    The 250 Victory VAP Elite SS pre fletched with a factory insert bumped up from the 50 to a 75 grain. Topping that with the razor sharp Iron Will Wide Series 150 grain solid broadhead.

It hits like a sledgehammer with the speed of a lightning bolt off my 70lb Hoyt Carbon RX4.

Check out the Iron Will broadheads. They come razor sharp from the factory with a lifetime warranty. I can’t afford Bishop Broadheads that are the strongest. I believe the Iron Will is 2nd best for strength and probably the sharpest available from any factory.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Not sure how a wind-on saves money.

FG knot is free and allows the most flexibility in how you manage your leader material.

Cheapest thing to do is buy a couple of coils of what you are most likely to use and get the rest from the boat if you need to.40, 60, 80, 100, 130-150 for a 10 day or longer.

Upvote 0