Fluoro to Hook Knot - Pics or it Didn't Happen - Show me Your Knot!

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
I have seen Sooo Maaany BD threads this year of people who hook 2, 3, 5, or more BFT on a trip only to end in Zing-Pow, Broken Leader, "Chew Through", etc. Lost fish! Often on the first run. Because the line/leader/hook connection didn't hold up to the stress of the fight. I was in this camp 2 years ago, when I went 11 for 14 on the New Lo-An the first day using 30# Seaguar Premier and 30# Blue Label fluoro. I had 3 fish snap the leader, right at the knot. It was a great day, but 2 of the fish I lost felt really nice and ended the fight way too quickly. They broke off on the first run, at way less than the break strength of the leader.

In that off-season 2 winters ago I began learning how to tie better knots, and testing the results. I sucked! Often 30# Seaguar or Yo-zuri would snap, always at the hook, at around 20# of weight; sometimes less! Just to make certain it wasn't the leader material I crimped a few; 30# lift or better every time. Nope, it was the knot strength I was achieving with multiple brands of fluoro leader.

It wasn't until I purchased and tested a softer stretchable fluoro leader, Okuma Soft Steel Fluoro-Stretch, that my knot strength got up to 100%. I have been using this leader for 2 seasons now, without a single zing-pow or leader failure. Understand that I spend most of my fishing life in Oregon, only visit San Diego twice each year recently. I know that the Oregon fish don't stress leaders like the San Diego fish.

So! Here is the challenge. Use your favorite brand of fluoro. Tie your best fluoro-hook knot. See if you can dead lift 30#. Have someone take a picture, and post it here. Simple! Please identify the make of 30# fluoro you are using. Here is a pic of 30# Fluoro-Stretch lifting 30# of lead (15# downrigger ball, 12# downrigger ball, 3# cannon ball). Knot is a 5-turn San Diego Jam knot. Let's see your pics!

PXL_20210811_210739691._exported_568_1628717892285.jpg
PXL_20210811_214324774.jpg

Last edited:

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
Here is a grim story of on-the-water knot testing...

Upvote 0

KXKH

Feb 28, 2018
NorCal
Name
Boat
19' Hobie
Fantastic stuff...I've switched over to all Soft Steel for non crimped stuff. Most fluoro is a lot weaker at the knot when tied.

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Light line and tiny hooks...lots of opportunity for failure. Last time out was 0 for 3 on mid grade bf on 30lb premier. Two "bite offs" and one pulled hook. Always looking to improve my landing ratio, so going to give this stuff a go on my 5 day in a couple weeks. Thanks for the information

Upvote 0

James Taylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Here is a test I did last year with some fluoro that caught fish. Its not 30 lb but i was ok with the results and didnt think fluoro stretched 1/6th the length. Have you measured how much the okuma fluoro stretches?
    0DECDB72-840E-4949-BE2A-8EDE7D5FDDF5.jpeg

2Rotten
    2Rotten
    Nice knot! 23# break with 25# fluoro is much better than I ever got with most fluoro leader material.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    Have you measured how much the okuma fluoro stretches?

I have measured the stretch, but not scientifically. I put 30' top shots of 30# Seaguar, 30# Fluoro-Stretch, and 30# mono (Berkley Big Game) on 3 different reels. Then took them out to the street and connected the ends to a fixed point. And then backed away with the rod in a fighting position and the reel set at 12# of drag. The Seaguar provided a modest amount of stretch (like 5-6'); about twice that for the Fluoro-stretch; and about that much more for the mono. My crude testing showed me that the Fluoro-stretch was almost half way between the Seaguar and the Mono for stretch.

Upvote 0

scbassmaster

twin22s
    Sep 8, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    1982 Glastron SeaFury216 “Elizabeth”
    I tie a 4-turn SD Jam knot to the hook, 5 turn on 25# and under. sometimes I'll use a 2x2 springer knot for ringed hooks, 3x2 springer for lighter line, I've not had any (terminal) Knot failures with them. check out toitfishing.com lots of good videos on how to tie different knots and tests on how well they hold up with different lines.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    Not to be snotty (sKnotty?) this thread isn't about knot diagrams or knot websites. Show us the results you can achieve. Pics or it didn't happen.

"Here is the challenge. Use your favorite brand of fluoro. Tie your best fluoro-hook knot. See if you can dead lift 30# with 30# fluoro leader. Have someone take a picture, and post it here. Simple!"

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    I have seen Sooo Maaany BD threads this year of people who hook 2, 3, 5, or more BFT on a trip only to end in Zing-Pow, Broken Leader, "Chew Through", etc. Lost fish! Often on the first run. Because the line/leader/hook connection didn't hold up to the stress of the fight. I was in this camp 2 years ago, when I went 11 for 14 on the New Lo-An the first day using 30# Seaguar Premier and 30# Blue Label fluoro. I had 3 fish snap the leader, right at the knot. It was a great day, but 2 of the fish I lost felt really nice and ended the fight way too quickly. They broke off on the first run, at way less than the break strength of the leader.

Be careful with seaguar premier

When it first came out. I took 100lb premier on a 17 day trip. My profile pic came on 100lb premier and a flyline mackerel. IGFA rated? Easy to tie and limp

I thought the diameter would take a 100lb sato crimp. 100lb premier uses one size smaller then 100lb blue label

Reactions: woodfish330
    hucklongfin
    hucklongfin
    Well yeah, Premier is the diameter of the next smaller blue. 130 premier is the diameter of 100# blue, 100# premier is the diameter of 80# blue. The diameter of the line is on the label and their website.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    4-Weeks later and not one pic demonstrating knot strength... Either the test was too difficult or the prize was insufficient!

• Haha
    Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    If you catching 30 lb fish, on 30 lb leader material, retie the damn thing per fish.
    Now if the fish are 10 lbs, and using 30 lb line, retie if there are frays and knicks etc in the line. Why test same line when results are already posted?

Any 90 percent plus knot strength knot is fine.
    Ok stuff not published I can see reason to test.
    https://www.sportfishingmag.com/gallery/gear/2014/11/line-test/

Reactions: yessokk
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    If you catching 30 lb fish, on 30 lb leader material, retie the damn thing per fish.
    Now if the fish are 10 lbs, and using 30 lb line, retie if there are frays and knicks etc in the line. Why test same line when results are already posted?

Any 90 percent plus knot strength knot is fine.
    Ok stuff not published I can see reason to test.
    https://www.sportfishingmag.com/gallery/gear/2014/11/line-test/
    The problem 100% is not weak line. I have proven this to myself too many times to doubt. The point of this thread is to see how many if any BDers can get close to 90% or more knot strength with flouro leader. So many Zing Pows this year, I know some are chew offs, but a lot are simple break offs. And, I strongly doubt that folks are simply setting their drags way too tight. I suspect bad knots, and I suspect that the stiffness of many brands of fluorocarbon leader material is contributing to the poor knot strength. But, this is just what I suspect based on my testing. I was hoping a few more inquisitive folks would post up their results, good or bad.

Last edited:
    Reactions: woodfish330 and Kai

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    People need to test their knots! I don’t honestly think its going to be that different than the knot tying machines at past Fred Hall Show.
    All I know is I tied the single uni knot, on 30 lb big game trilene, and breaks on me around 36-38 lbs..

I am glad the fish wins! They deserve it on angler errors. We need more catch and release, while I am catch and fillet 90% of the time.
    :)
    All joking aside, that is the skill of angling😘. Only wil be better by experience, education and practice.

I think testing would be cool, but much of the equipment setup is probably the issue.

Reactions: jiggermyster
    Upvote 0

PharmDoc

Master of MyTunaverse
    Aug 27, 2012
    Albany/OR/USA
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    World Cat 270EC: The Millennium Flounder
    I’m game Rod. I’ll try this experiment when I get off work today…COVID doesn’t take holidays 😐…I have 3 knots that I think will all pass

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    No pics of the bucket challenge, but I’ll share this video. My confidence is building with this connection and it’s finding a place next to the uni and SD Jam for terminal connections. I’m using it in those “stealth mode” situations on non-ringed hooks. A lot of guys will say to just pull a uni into a loop, and that works, too. I like to stretch my leaders after I tie a hook on, and it’s hard to keep that uni loop loopy when I do that.

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    I don't have a lot of Fluro to test.
    Found a 20 year old spool of 40# Maxima laying around.
    Broke the knot at 25#.

IMG_20210906_175902802_HDR.jpg

20 year old 25# P-Line didn't break at 30#.

IMG_20210906_181102463.jpg

Conclusion:
    20 year old 40# Maxima doesn't like my knot.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

solid72

"Fishhard"
  • Aug 27, 2010
    Torrance, Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Good one
    I tested a few several weeks back with the 3 and 4 turn uni and the SD knot. SD knot is shown in the pics, as it seemed to hold better with the flouro. 25 Soft Steel Flouro broke over 100% as well as my 30 Gold label. 35 pound Izorline MONO that broke at 41 pounds

7B896562-6878-4AD7-8B5A-EF250CABD8AE.jpeg

103A645C-15F9-4EC4-9A24-FC512C0DC193.jpeg

567B2572-B48D-4A53-BBB3-53B6B324AF9C.jpeg

1A6F9755-54BA-4F76-B80B-C3E970C64B8A.jpeg

2Rotten
    2Rotten
    Nice knot! I believe the Soft Steel leader material is what Okuma is selling now, re-branded as Soft Steel Fluoro-Stretch. Good stuff. I haven't tested the Seaguar Gold. Most all of the mono leader material seems to break > line rating. Thanks for posting up your info!
    Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
  • Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    Invest 30 bucks in a hanging digital scale with Peak Hold

Last edited:
    Reactions: solid72
    Upvote 0

Benjamin Lau

Aug 29, 2016
    SoCal
    Name
    Benjamin Lau
    Boat
    no boat
    To get 30# of weight, I just use a 5 Gallon bucket from HD and add water. Each Gallon of water weighs 8.3# or so, a 5 gallon bucket can easily hold close to 40#.

Best of all, when it breaks, you get a spectacular video !

Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
  • Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    digital bathroom scales are surprisingly accurate (like the kind that sell under $20) --- as are the digital kitchen food scales (under $20) for weights under 10 lbs

I bought the calibration weights and was amazed how accurate the cheaper digital scales are - the spring scales on the other hand (I tested) have a lot of wobble and inconsistency

peak/hold feature on digital is a game changer for drag and knot testing...and moving on

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Ok I’ll bite…home made knot tester

50lb mono with a Springer knot / peak hold digital scale
    Broke at 50 and 32 lbs

Last edited:
    Reactions: jiggermyster
    2Rotten
    2Rotten
    Thanks for posting. Mono knots are pretty reliable. Get 50# Fluoro knot to pull 50# tension and I will tip my virtual hat 🤠
    Upvote 0
    2Rotten
    2Rotten
    I tie a medium rubber band to the hook no more problem. Oops this response was for the post below
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0