Dexter Outdoors

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Heading out for a 5 day on the searcher and was just going to buy some leader material, whats the preferred brand and what weights should I go with 20,25,30,40,50,60,80 I 25yd spool of each?

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Hey Taylor, another Sacto guy here. On that trip I would expect to fish 20, 40, 50 and troll with 80. This is just one guy's take on it. And, the troll on 80, if it's like all other trips I've been on, may likley be boat rig (no need to bring). But, last year they did get into some big fish close to San Diego and some guys who needed to flyline with 80# rigs didn't have them (many didn't). Probably lots of time will be spent with the three smaller sizes I mention. Best to go prepared and then wait to see what the captain says is working after you get on the boat. If you bring me some fish when you get back I'll give you some of my newly-bottled IPA. ;)

gnehekul

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
I would do 20-60 seaguar premier. not sure you need fluror leader to troll since its all in the white wash. but like the guy above me said. bring it just in case

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
For me, I have some 25 lb fluorocarbon but hope I don't feel like I need it. 30 lb 40 lb for sure. If I can't get bit on 20 lb mono, I'll wait until we find a school of fish that want to chew. 3 dayer for me, coming right up. 7/11-14.

Mr GreenJeans

Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
I prefer Seaguar Blue or Blackwater because they are more abraison resistant. Seaguar Premier has a softer outer coating which has better knot strength, so your trade off is better abraison resistance versus better knot strength. Premier is also a little thinner, so to be apples to apples, you need to compare diameter between the brands, rather than the breaking strength claimed on the label.

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
I would do 20-60 seaguar premier. not sure you need fluror leader to troll since its all in the white wash. but like the guy above me said. bring it just in case
Yeah, that's right. Probably no fluoro there in the troll.

This is giving me GAS - gear acquisition syndrome.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
1 30, 2 40 and 1 60.

There is no way they will bite 50 and not 60. No way they will bite 25 and not 30. People can make up any fantasy they want but it usually comes down to anecdotal evidence not real proof.

And likely no way they will bite 30 and not 40. It comes down to bait selection more than anything else. I only bring 30 for Halibut on the beach at Cedros etc. ie light tackle but I like the abrasion resistance.

The only reason you fish 40 instead of 60 is to help your bait swim but you pull out 60 when you have to use it for larger models. Weird, they bite it just fine...:rolleyes:

Don't over think it. Fish a hot bait and put the biggest leader on it that it can pull.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juanba and Bill W

gnehekul

Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
thanks for that I just always got premier since I thought it was rated better by seguar.
I prefer Seaguar Blue or Blackwater because they are more abraison resistant. Seaguar Premier has a softer outer coating which has better knot strength, so your trade off is better abraison resistance versus better knot strength. Premier is also a little thinner, so to be apples to apples, you need to compare diameter between the brands, rather than the breaking strength claimed on the label.

gnehekul

Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
1 30, 2 40 and 1 60.

There is no way they will bite 50 and not 60. No way they will bite 25 and not 30. People can make up any fantasy they want but it usually comes down to anecdotal evidence not real proof.

And likely no way they will bite 30 and not 40. It comes down to bait selection more than anything else. I only bring 30 for Halibut at Cedros etc.

The only reason you fish 40 instead of 60 is to help your bait swim but you pull out 60 when you have to use it for larger models.

Don't over think it. Fish a hot bait and put the biggest leader on it that it can pull.

yea find the hottest chovie you can find ;)

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
yea find the hottest chovie you can find ;)

The good news is that you will make macks and/buy sardines at Cedros. They can pull 100lb :).

ps And take some Megabaits/PLine Lazer Minnows (ie small iron). Alan Tani and friends did real well on those at Cedros.

jbs49

Nov 2, 2012
Panama
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
IMO it doesn't hurt to have a good range of leader material. I have seen it many times when 30 doesn't get bit but 25# does, like wise 40# not and 30# does and so on. If fishing is scratchy it's pay's big time to have a verity of material at hand to allow you to drop down in size and get bite. I haven't been a big user of Fluro with the littler lines 30# down, but have had good results with Seaguar Premier when used, as mentioned above it's has good knot strength and get's bite good.

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
For those fisherpersons who use Seguar Premier here is some information
that you may or may not be aware of.

The Premier is an IGFA line, it says so right on the spool in fine print of course.
IGFA means that there is no over test to any of their lines. The lines will break at their
specified rating. That is why Premier is thinner then other brands for a given test.
All other brands of fluorocarbon are not IGFA rated and will have an over test
of about 20-30%. And consequently slightly thicker. Have found that to get a
like rating of the Premier you have to go up one
pound test rating to have a comparable standard product in the pound test
that you desire.

My .37 cents worth for your consideration.
Walt

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    For those fisherpersons who use Seguar Premier here is some information
    that you may or may not be aware of.

The Premier is an IGFA line, it says so right on the spool in fine print of course.
    IGFA means that there is no over test to any of their lines. The lines will break at their
    specified rating. That is why Premier is thinner then other brands for a given test.
    All other brands of fluorocarbon are not IGFA rated and will have an over test
    of about 20-30%. And consequently slightly thicker. Have found that to get a
    like rating of the Premier you have to go up one
    pound test rating to have a comparable standard product in the pound test
    that you desire.

My .37 cents worth for your consideration.
    Walt

While Seaguar Premier is IGFA rated I find irony that IGFA does not rate the leader, only the main line or doubled line... Since Premier is sold as leader material, seems to be a catch 22