Floor replacement: epoxy + paint or polyester + gelcoat?

Feb 25, 2021
Name
Dominic
Boat
kayak, 19' skiff hopefully soon
I'm replacing the rotten deck on a 1995 glastron bowrider, cutting out the side consoles, and making a center console.
I'm trying to find whether it would be better to use epoxy to do all the sealing and glassing with paint all over the floor, sides, and console, or if polyester resin and a gelcoat would be better.
Is it true that epoxy without glass will waterproof something like ABX plywood but that poly resin needs a layer of chop strand on all sides of the wood?

Thanks for your advice

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
I'm replacing the rotten deck on a 1995 glastron bowrider, cutting out the side consoles, and making a center console.
I'm trying to find whether it would be better to use epoxy to do all the sealing and glassing with paint all over the floor, sides, and console, or if polyester resin and a gelcoat would be better.
Is it true that epoxy without glass will waterproof something like ABX plywood but that poly resin needs a layer of chop strand on all sides of the wood?

Thanks for your advice
I have built 2 plywood skiffs. Rotten floors seem to be the bugaboo of all boats. I would do the best job I could to ensure that the new deck does not fail again. I would use epoxy resin because it will never de-laminate from the wood like the other resins will. I would also coat the bottom of the plywood and the sides with epoxy to encapsulate the wood before installing the deck. Be sure to bond the new floor to the stringers and bulkheads using sealer and silica bronze screws. I would then put a layer of glass on the top of the deck and wet it out with epoxy resin. 2 layers if you think you will be hard on the deck. When you screw something into the new deck, be sure that you use sealer like sikoflex at every screw or your floor could potentialy rot out again if water gets into the wood through the screw hole. If you just put epoxy on the floor with no glass, the wood will start to "check" in a few years and you will be upset with yourself for not going the extra mile and putting a layer or 2 of glass down. You can then paint the deck with your favorite epoxy paint to make it look good.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
use a good marine plywood like hydrotek, vinylester laminating resin { it's water proof }, and a layer of 1708 clothe. cut all your pieces out , wood and fg clothe, and saturate the plywood pieces with resin. vinylester laminating resin is much easier to work with than epoxies,. you can lay up without sanding. start with a resin coat thinned with styrene monomer to soak in , then another coat unthinned. then lay up the fg and saturate with resin. for your last coat use a vinylester gel coat . get finishing gel coat with wax, you will need to sand the gelcoat in between coats.
fiberlay has what you need.....

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2021
Name
Dominic
Boat
I have built 2 plywood skiffs. Rotten floors seem to be the bugaboo of all boats. I would do the best job I could to ensure that the new deck does not fail again. I would use epoxy resin because it will never de-laminate from the wood like the other resins will. I would also coat the bottom of the plywood and the sides with epoxy to encapsulate the wood before installing the deck. Be sure to bond the new floor to the stringers and bulkheads using sealer and silica bronze screws. I would then put a layer of glass on the top of the deck and wet it out with epoxy resin. 2 layers if you think you will be hard on the deck. When you screw something into the new deck, be sure that you use sealer like sikoflex at every screw or your floor could potentialy rot out again if water gets into the wood through the screw hole. If you just put epoxy on the floor with no glass, the wood will start to "check" in a few years and you will be upset with yourself for not going the extra mile and putting a layer or 2 of glass down. You can then paint the deck with your favorite epoxy paint to make it look good.
Glass on both sides of the plywood or just the top?

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Skip the epoxy,use the vinylester.Properly done it will hold up just fine.Epoxy will delaminate from wood just like anything else.Water penetration is the problem,not the material you use.

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2021
Name
Dominic
Boat
Just the top.
A couple more questions.
1. Any brand of epoxy you’d recommend? Preferably on the less expensive side.
2. What kind of fiberglass do I need? Do I need multiple types,weights, etc or is there one that will do the floor, console, and reinforcement?
3. Do I need to screw in the floor to the stringers or can I glue them on with thickened epoxy?

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
you'll need 3oz matt. and 1708 to do it right. some matt doesn't respond well to epoxies due to the different solvents in epoxies verse polyesters. matt is "activated" and "melted" with styrene monomer a solvent and thinner used with polyesters, so some matts won't be saturated well with epoxy. once again , vinylester laminating resin is the way to go, not epoxy.

Upvote 0