Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
Heading out Monday on a 2.5 day trip and looks like the big BFT are coming in. I have an Avet AXW Raptor and an Avet 30/2W, both rigged with 10' 130# fluoro topshots. Also have several flatfalls: 200, 250, 300 and 500G.

Tie the flatfall direct to the 130# fluoro with a 3-4 turn San Diego knot? Or, do I need to stop at a tackle shop in SD and have them crimp on a 3-4' 300# fluoro bite leader.

I'd assume the landing shops could handle this? I'll have 3-4 hours to burn in the afternoon, so can stop at another shop around the SD area if you have any recommendations, Squidco, other?

Thanks - Dan

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
I'm sure you could get your flat falls rigged on the boat with 300# if that's what you want but really, 130# will work.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Add a swivel and split ring to jig if you tie direct. Else, you'll get massive line twist.

That is how I do it. For some reason I dont like the 200-300lb bite leaders.

Edit....other advantage, quick change jigs with split rings.

No wrong way.

Last edited:
Reactions: hucklongfin

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Heading out Monday on a 2.5 day trip and looks like the big BFT are coming in. I have an Avet AXW Raptor and an Avet 30/2W, both rigged with 10' 130# fluoro topshots. Also have several flatfalls: 200, 250, 300 and 500G.
I had the long fin rig all my flat falls and AHI with 250 Mono.
Tie the flatfall direct to the 130# fluoro with a 3-4 turn San Diego knot? Or, do I need to stop at a tackle shop in SD and have them crimp on a 3-4' 300# fluoro bite leader.

I'd assume the landing shops could handle this? I'll have 3-4 hours to burn in the afternoon, so can stop at another shop around the SD area if you have any recommendations, Squidco, other?

Thanks - Dan

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
Thanks for the replies. If tying 130# fluoro direct will avoid chew-offs, I'll run with that. Didn't want to dump $200 into a spool of heavy fluoro, crimps and crimp pliers, at this time. Figured I could get it rigged at a shop, if needed.

I rigged them on top with a #9 split ring connecting: 350# swivel, solid ring for assist hooks and top FF eye. Bottom has a #9 split ring and either 8/0 VMC or 9/0 Mustad, I don't trust split rings, so brazed them shut.

Last edited:

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
I got a spool of momoi hi catch x-hard 220 lb for cheap From Melton tackle. It felt stiff and abrasion resistant but we will see. I usually do 3’ of the 220 lb because I’ve looked at peoples used flat falls and leaders and the main area where they are chafed is like 1-2 ft above the flat fall.

Reactions: Cubeye

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
IMHO, you don't need Fluoro for this, 200-400lb mono works just fine.

130lb straight will most likely work for all but the nastiest of fish.

Reactions: Cubeye

speyman

Iron Chucker
Aug 12, 2014
Carnation (Seattle)
Name
jack-e
Boat
Intrepid, Ms Magoo
i use a 200# Softsteel Mono Top crimped to a 300# snap swivel. The crew will crimp it for you if you ask nicely

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Have a great trip! Hope you catch a fat one! But for the future, you should seriously consider buying a decent crimper (and it doesn't have to be some mega-bucks model, you are not crewing for a living and using it all of the time) and getting several sizes of double-sleeve crimps. I'm still quite happy with my thirty years old Hi Seas crimper that cost well under fifty bucks, and three sizes of double-sleeve crimps: 1.0 mm for 20# to 70# mono/fluoro, 1.3mm for 80# to 130#, and 1.5 mm for 150# to 200#. The important thing is proper technique and double-crimp, and use a small plastic tube to protect from chafing at the hook eye or ring eye. You can be completely set for very little investment, way less than the cost of a handful of lures.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
Put me down for 200-300# mono short bite leader for nite flatfall drops - I like to keep the leader a little longer than the fish I'm expecting so the tail doesn't shred the spectra if it gets tangled on the tail

I bought the Jinkai Crimper - Swedger SC-3C (this was the best highest rated crimper tool I could find) and started doing my own crimping - double San Diego knot braid to swivel...

Last edited: