Flatfall flouro leaders and hooks

Sgb89

Mar 25, 2021
Escondido
Name
Sean Bergmann
Boat
Sea oxe
So I have various flat falls ranging from 100g-300g some of them modified with ticker cord and hooks and some not. My question for the modified flat falls is, how long before I need to replace that cord. I noticed after a dip in the water the cord turns yellow. Is this just happen washing with fresh water or not? Some of these flat falls haven’t even been bit on. Do I need to replace these stained cord leading to hooks every year? Cord isn’t frayed. Also I have pre made flouro leaders ranging from 80-200lb still attached to some flat falls. Again some have caught fish most haven’t. Do I need to replace these heavy flouro leaders every year even if they haven’t been on fish? Thanks for any help.

4893C241-FD54-4B23-81AC-2F60310E121F.jpeg

E1643DAE-8D18-4CAB-9039-BE744EAAD18B.jpeg

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
May 26, 2019
Huntington Beach
Name
Dave Coopman
Boat
Judge 27
If you have year old leaders you want to fish that’s your choice.
Personally I would make new ones. You could hook the fish of a lifetime. You never know.
Back before braid I would change the line on my long range trips every day if i used a reel most of the day.

Upvote 0

Sgb89

Mar 25, 2021
Escondido
Name
Sean Bergmann
Boat
Sea oxe
Personally I would make new ones. You could hook the fish of a lifetime. You never know.
Back before braid I would change the line on my long range trips every day if i used a reel most of the day.
Ya i wasn’t sure if over 100lb flouro leader with out a fish on the line held up or not. Probably a stupid question. But now I know. Thanks will be making new ones. How about the rope on the flat fall hooks. Replace that too?

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
May 26, 2019
Huntington Beach
Name
Dave Coopman
Boat
Judge 27
The assist hook braid, I’m not sure. If someone doesn’t respond to your question about the assist cord try Slow pitch jigging North American group on Facebook.

Reactions: Sgb89
Upvote 0

streetnfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 7, 2009
south pasadena
Name
Ray
Boat
Float tube
If you have rinsed your jigs off thoroughly and stored them in a cool dry area they should be fine. You have to check them though. Are the swivels or hooks showing rust. Is the cord still tightly weaved and supple. Is the flouro still clear with no kicks on the line. If so they are probably still good to go. I have many jigs/assist hooks that I use over and over on trips even with a slight fray on the assit cords. It takes a lot to cut all the way through on the cords. Of course you have to take into consideration what you are fishing for. The frayed jigs I described above were used for rockfish and schoolie yellow tail and yellowfin. If I think I'm getting into bigger fish like Big bluefin and Big Yellows then I'm really gonna look at the integrity of everything and when there is doubt, switch it. Lastly there is nothing like testing your connections. Even when they are newly rigged. Secure both ends and really pull on them to make sure they hold. Then you know what you are tossing overboard and won't have to second guess yourself.

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    👍

Upvote 0