Flatfall assist hook upgrade

Jan 29, 2019
Long Beach
Name
AJ Ayala
Boat
Kayak
I am getting ready for a 2.5 day at the end of July on the Daiwa Pacific for a private charter. I have a few flat falls and wanted to get some opinions on what material I should use for chew leader.

I have 170lb stranded wire and crimp sleeves for it, is this overkill or will this work? Planning on adding adhesive lined shrink tubing over the crimps.

I am also planning on trying a couple different set ups, 2 hooks in the back, one in the front and one in the back, single hook.... anymore recommendations?

Thanks TIGHT LINES
AJ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    There are a whole bunch of threads, a lot with pictures, about adding hooks to flat-fall type lures. If you use the Q symbol on the upper-right of the subject line, right under the bell symbol, you can search easily.

I'm not being snarky, it's a good question to ask, but the answer is that there are a LOT of different ways to go about it. I'm on a 3-day next weekend, and I've got my drop lures rigged a dozen different ways. Some have assist hooks on the bottom, some on the top, most have a large J-hook on the bottom and assist hooks on the top, a couple have large J-hooks on either end. Some have 130# fluoro leader already crimped onto the lure, most will just be easily attached to my 80# fluoro line that is my topshot because I like to use quality snaps that are crimped onto the fluoro topshot.

I really don't think that how the assist hooks are rigged is of much concern to a bluefin. If he finds the lure attractive, he inhales it and within one second realizes that it is not food and tries to spit it out. Having two or three or more large, sharp hooks on the lure gives you a chance to catch onto the inside of his mouth. And because he has sharp teeth, you will have more success if you have at least 80# leader to resist them.

You will have a great time on your trip! Bring several SK-type knife jigs to go with your flat-falls, and yes you should upgrade their hooks too, for the same reason. Most of my assist hooks are Owners, they have never failed me, but you can buy a lot of different brands or make your own.

Upvote 0
    Jan 29, 2019
    Long Beach
    Name
    AJ Ayala
    Boat
    Kayak
    There are a whole bunch of threads, a lot with pictures, about adding hooks to flat-fall type lures. If you use the Q symbol on the upper-right of the subject line, right under the bell symbol, you can search easily.

I'm not being snarky, it's a good question to ask, but the answer is that there are a LOT of different ways to go about it. I'm on a 3-day next weekend, and I've got my drop lures rigged a dozen different ways. Some have assist hooks on the bottom, some on the top, most have a large J-hook on the bottom and assist hooks on the top, a couple have large J-hooks on either end. Some have 130# fluoro leader already crimped onto the lure, most will just be easily attached to my 80# fluoro line that is my topshot because I like to use quality snaps that are crimped onto the fluoro topshot.

I really don't think that how the assist hooks are rigged is of much concern to a bluefin. If he finds the lure attractive, he inhales it and within one second realizes that it is not food and tries to spit it out. Having two or three or more large, sharp hooks on the lure gives you a chance to catch onto the inside of his mouth. And because he has sharp teeth, you will have more success if you have at least 80# leader to resist them.

You will have a great time on your trip! Bring several SK-type knife jigs to go with your flat-falls, and yes you should upgrade their hooks too, for the same reason. Most of my assist hooks are Owners, they have never failed me, but you can buy a lot of different brands or make your own.
    Hey thanks for the tips. I literally saw a similar post right after I posted this. I have a few colt snipers in differnt sizes and colors, all of the regular socal tady colors and size. I am just new to the flatfall game and I never just go fishing without some research. Good luck on the 3 day!

Upvote 0

Chango3

Jul 18, 2020
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Colten
    Boat
    Surfboard
    This is how I do it, crimp line to the solid ring with 130-250lb leader when night time.

image.jpg

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Chango3 -- You will absolutely hook fish with that rigging. You will also get spit sometimes. The good news about large J-hooks is that when they dig in, they hold on. The bad news is that they don't always dig in.

Chango3

Jul 18, 2020
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Colten
    Boat
    Surfboard
    Chango3 -- You will absolutely hook fish with that rigging. You will also get spit sometimes. The good news about large J-hooks is that when they dig in, they hold on. The bad news is that they don't always dig in.
    Yes, I have looked into putting another big hook with a strong spilt ring at the bottom. I just don’t really trust the strength of the jig itself.

Upvote 0

Chango3

Jul 18, 2020
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Colten
    Boat
    Surfboard
    All three of your jigs are wicked strong and you can depend upon the jig holding together. A car-sized Great White might bite it into two pieces, but the jig itself won't break.

How does something like this look? Will need to get stronger split rings on both ends, these are just some randoms from Big5. Should the line still crimp to the solid ring on the assist hook?

image.jpg

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Remember that the flat-fall type lures flutter down from side to side quickly like a fast, horizontal Queen Elizabeth hand wave. So the hooks will be riding up above the lure as it falls. On the retrieve, the hooks will be trailing like in your picture. So putting a big J-hook on each end will usually work well. However, I had a couple of experiences where the hooks managed to connect around each other, so now I make sure that they don't quite touch each other if I stretch them together. A shorter front assist cord, or a smaller rear hook would accomplish that. If you have access to a deep swimming pool you would learn a lot about how your lures swim and move. I always test my lures, and am often surprised at how they behave.

Reactions: Chango3
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    I use Owner split rings, they are expensive but I think absolutely worth it. I also add an Owner solid ring to the split ring to connect the line to. I have some lures that I've crimped to a four-foot heavy fluoro leader, but the last couple of years I added a twenty-yard section of 80# fluoro leader to both of my heavy 2-speed rigs as a topshot, and crimped on heavy snaps. That is theoretically a weak point in the rig, I know that if a tuna gets his mouth just right on the snap it can be opened, but it hasn't come close to happening yet, all of the tuna are hooked well inside the mouth. And since I'm pushing 75 and the hands are getting weaker, it is easier to switch lures with a snap.

Reactions: Koyote and Chango3
    Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Alibaba.IMG_20210522_092106805_HDR.jpg

Upvote 0

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    Gamakatsu HD They are 10/0 & 11/0 with four 220# cords...bulletproof
    Owner on trailing end
    Pitbull 250# split ring...priced right...to a Pitbull figure 8 400# ring..1/2 the price of others
    Then Jinkai crimps on Yo-Zuri pink flouro
    Very successful

20210226_120901.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    All hooks shown are "J" hooks, is this a standard, or can circles be used? I guess the hard hit prohibits circles?

Upvote 0