FLAT FALLS NOT PART OF BLUE FIN ARSENAL ?

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
I thought the majority of the night fishing was being done with FF lures?

Upvote 0

Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    Also not as many reports on night fishing.

Ahkhuang
    Ahkhuang
    Only found the way to see where boats are a few days ago. No one really posted about the 499 in this forum. Sorry I am newbie 😅
    Upvote 0
    bazzturd
    bazzturd
    You weren't paying attention to the bite going on at the 499 for a week at night.
    Upvote 0

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
    Compton, Ca
    Name
    Ahmad
    Boat
    none
    Marking the line is truly the trick. I have to figure a way to do that, any ideas ?

stuman
    stuman
    Attach an empty rod and reel to the set up you are marking. Walk off 50 feet twice. Mark the spectra with a sharpie. Do this three or four times. Now you know when you are fishing 3-400 feet away from the boat. You can guestimate after that.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I marked my line by standing over a new, clean trash can and pulling arm-stretches of line from the rod tip with the reel in clicker so it wouldn't birds-nest. My arm-pull was consistently pretty close to three feet. So keep track, and you will know when you are at 100 feet, and I took a black felt-tip marker pen and made a three inch long mark on the braid. Then pulled another hundred feet and made two marks, separated by several inches, so I know where 200 feet is. And then I add in the length of the topshot, which varies from time to time, and I have a good guess about the depth. And always go deeper than you think that you need to, the line will belly and not just go straight down. Plus the lure is also effective being pulled up from underneath the school as well as dropping through it.

Reactions: Cubeye and finsane
    Upvote 0

Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
    Dec 6, 2017
    Ventura, CA
    Name
    Drew Stephens
    Boat
    Sunbird Neptune 230
    I’ve never liked flatfalls anyways. When flat falls we’re becoming a thing I was wrecking fish on coltsnipers before they took off in popularity. I have zero confidence in flat falls haha. Get ahead of the new fad and catch more fish! I’m on the new one that will take off by next year.

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    To me, flat falls is more about fishing deeper bluefin and the foamer action we're currently seeing is a surface thing.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    It seems like marking fish at night and bombing them with FF or knifes is specific to night feeding. My guess is day (sight) feeding would be bait-sinker stuff, if metered. Poppers in topeaters if they are not skittish. Or watch them without hooking up in all 3 situations, which seems to be a standard.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Marking the line is truly the trick. I have to figure a way to do that, any ideas ?
    Go to a high school football field on the weekend when no one is around, Then tie it off to the goal post a walk backwards to the other goal post set rod down and start marking every 40, 50,60 feet with a sharpie, Then wind it back on the reel, Very simple and quick and you don't need to worry about your line getting tangled as you wind it back on your reel.

Upvote 0

davidpratt

Jul 28, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Name
    David Pratt
    Boat
    Not yet
    I marked my line by standing over a new, clean trash can and pulling arm-stretches of line from the rod tip with the reel in clicker so it wouldn't birds-nest. My arm-pull was consistently pretty close to three feet. So keep track, and you will know when you are at 100 feet, and I took a black felt-tip marker pen and made a three inch long mark on the braid. Then pulled another hundred feet and made two marks, separated by several inches, so I know where 200 feet is. And then I add in the length of the topshot, which varies from time to time, and I have a good guess about the depth. And always go deeper than you think that you need to, the line will belly and not just go straight down. Plus the lure is also effective being pulled up from underneath the school as well as dropping through it.
    I did this too but ended up with a birdsnest, a headache, and 80yds less line then I started with. From now on it's only reel to reel for me.

• Haha
    Reactions: heman and Cubeye
    Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    It is pretty easy to mark your line at home. Just wind your line onto another reel where you know the number of inches per turn of the handle. I wind my line onto an Avet HX that is already about 3/4 full. Each turn of the handle is about 48" or 4'. 25 turns is 100', 50 turns is 200' etc. Once you have your line marked down to about 300' or 400' just wind it back on to your primary reel. You can use an old 6/0 senator or any other reel just as long as you know the inches per crank. The HX is just easy because it is almost exactly 4' per crank.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    I had it done when they spun the line on, you could probably take it to a shop and have it done correctly. I only went 300 feet, in 100 foot increments. Too many marks gets confusing.

Upvote 0

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
    Compton, Ca
    Name
    Ahmad
    Boat
    none
    Go to a high school football field on the weekend when no one is around, Then tie it off to the goal post a walk backwards to the other goal post set rod down and start marking every 40, 50,60 feet with a sharpie, Then wind it back on the reel, Very simple and quick and you don't need to worry about your line getting tangled as you wind it back on your reel.
    Thank you. Great idea

Upvote 0

newmar

Almost A Member
    Jun 10, 2005
    spring valley
    Name
    bruce
    Boat
    23 blackman /Polkboat
    One mark at 100, 2 marks at 200 you can see where this is going. Be sure to spool it back on tight.

Reactions: Dbado1
    Upvote 0

Salmondave22

May 21, 2020
    Monterey
    Name
    david brown
    Boat
    22ft Boston Whaler
    If you have a latch needle you can insert a piece of 50 lb blue braid into your hollow core main line, leaving about a foot and a half hanging out. Then tie a 50-100 turn ruzzuto knot. I then put a drop of tax-glue on it. As you are making your drop watch your spool spin. When the blue disappears you know you just passed 100 ft then watch for the next blue spot.

• Wow
    Reactions: Omarkayak
    Upvote 0

dunku

Sep 11, 2007
    ventura, ca
    Name
    nolan
    Boat
    the one i paid a spot for
    Upvote 0

Salmondave22

May 21, 2020
    Monterey
    Name
    david brown
    Boat
    22ft Boston Whaler
    did you use hollow and inserted it? if you used solid , how did you connect the two ends?

thanks
    My mainline is threadlock hollow. I don’t cut it, I just take a 2 foot piece of 50 lb solid braid and insert 6 inches into the threadlock leaving 18 inches hanging out. I then do a ruzzuto knot with the solid line “around” the mainline. This way I do not damage the integrity of the mainline but I end up with 1/2 inch blue mark. By using a drop or two of tac-glue it keeps the ruzzuto knot from having any chance of sliding.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 0