JoeyH650

Stay salty, my friends.
  • Aug 15, 2017
    Pedro Point, Ca
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    Livingston 15.5
    hey everyone, I’m in my stages of getting ready for a few days next month on the pac queen and the last few seasons I never had luck on the flat fall jigs, but we never really had good opportunities at using them either.. most trips have been 99% bait.. kind of mentioned this in another recent post of mine. I know they get hit on the drop, but do they get hit on the retrieve? Does speed matter much on winding back up through the water column? Thank you for any advice

Reactions: jiggermyster

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
    San Marcos
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    None
    Fish them like a yo-yo. Let them fall to what you think is 20-50 feet past the school, wind them up 100 feet or so, repeat. I have been bit both on the sink and retrieve.

Key part is to not retrieve all the way to the boat if the fish are suspended 200-300 feet time. Waste of valuable arm effort

Upvote 0

JoeyH650

Stay salty, my friends.
  • Aug 15, 2017
    Pedro Point, Ca
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    Livingston 15.5
    Fish them like a yo-yo. Let them fall to what you think is 20-50 feet past the school, wind them up 100 feet or so, repeat. I have been bit both on the sink and retrieve.

Key part is to not retrieve all the way to the boat if the fish are suspended 200-300 feet time. Waste of valuable arm effort
    Awesome info! Thank you. Definitely burned up enough arm energy by cranking back to the boat last year, the current was ripping and the swell was up though so dealing with the line more out than down was frustrating with 20+ more people in the water too .. with a 200g haha. I got my 300’s ready though. Do you retrieve it at your own pace or really burn it back up?

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    hey everyone, I’m in my stages of getting ready for a few days next month on the pac queen and the last few seasons I never had luck on the flat fall jigs, but we never really had good opportunities at using them either.. most trips have been 99% bait.. kind of mentioned this in another recent post of mine. I know they get hit on the drop, but do they get hit on the retrieve? Does speed matter much on winding back up through the water column? Thank you for any advice
    Sinker rig fishing is slow fishing. Lets the bait sink slowly, about the same rate as they swim.when you get to about 200 feet. Stop and hold it for maybe 30 seconds. Then slowly wind it back and change bait. All my bites were on slow fall and stop.

Upvote 0

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
    San Marcos
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    None
    Awesome info! Thank you. Definitely burned up enough arm energy by cranking back to the boat last year, the current was ripping and the swell was up though so dealing with the line more out than down was frustrating with 20+ more people in the water too .. with a 200g haha. I got my 300’s ready though. Do you retrieve it at your own pace or really burn it back up?
    I burn the sucker as fast as I can. A lot slower at the end of the trip than the beginning due to arm fatigue

Upvote 0

JoeyH650

Stay salty, my friends.
  • Aug 15, 2017
    Pedro Point, Ca
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    Livingston 15.5
    Sinker rig fishing is slow fishing. Lets the bait sink slowly, about the same rate as they swim.when you get to about 200 feet. Stop and hold it for maybe 30 seconds. Then slowly wind it back and change bait. All my bites were on slow fall and stop.
    This is super helpful! Last year I didn’t use a sinker rig but I was watching guys drop as fast as the weight would fall, reach the zone and then wind it back up.. I was thinking about what that does to the bait just spinning/tangling and falling with no control. Probably why only 1 fish came on the sinker last year! Thank you! We don’t get to fish this style too much (at all) up north and definitely don’t get water time to practice these techniques. You guys are epic! Cheers!

Upvote 0

JoeyH650

Stay salty, my friends.
  • Aug 15, 2017
    Pedro Point, Ca
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    Livingston 15.5
    I burn the sucker as fast as I can. A lot slower at the end of the trip than the beginning due to arm fatigue
    Awesome! Thanks a bunch. Tried even finding videos on people fishing these jigs, but typically just shows after the hook up or whatever. I’ll report back after the trip in August. :cheers:

Upvote 0

PullOnThis

Almost A Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    California
    Name
    PullOnThis One
    Boat
    Floating beer cooler
    Burn it in fast through the zone, they can swim faster than you can crank. Work it like a yo-yo as previous posters mentioned; past the zone on the drop, burn it back up through but not to the surface.

Reactions: JoeyH650
    Upvote 0

SSUfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 14, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    n/a
    I've heard some captains say 'you can't wind it fast enough'. However, last November, I didn't want to burn myself out, so I was winding my 350g flat fall at a medium retrieve and got bit. Different things work at different times.
    ^This.

If others are getting bit, ask how fast they were reeling. Years ago after hours of jigging I was getting a bit tired of going warp speed and decided to reel in at what I would call a normal or less than normal rate (think reeling a rockfish in) and was hit doing that. Go figure.

Upvote 0

JoeyH650

Stay salty, my friends.
  • Aug 15, 2017
    Pedro Point, Ca
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    Livingston 15.5
    I've heard some captains say 'you can't wind it fast enough'. However, last November, I didn't want to burn myself out, so I was winding my 350g flat fall at a medium retrieve and got bit. Different things work at different times.
    After zero sleep of excitement at 2 or 3am it’s easy to get burnt and start to wind slower haha that’s why I was curious if it’s even worth dropping one after the 20th drop and your arms start to burn. My friend got one resting his rod on the rail and slow cranked it and got bit after just landing one. Wondering if it was just a random bite considering how slow I was watching him wind. Maybe less burning energy and be able to do more drops :confused: thanks for the input!!

Upvote 0

JoeyH650

Stay salty, my friends.
  • Aug 15, 2017
    Pedro Point, Ca
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    Livingston 15.5
    ^This.

If others are getting bit, ask how fast they were reeling. Years ago after hours of jigging I was getting a bit tired of going warp speed and decided to reel in at what I would call a normal or less than normal rate (think reeling a rockfish in) and was hit doing that. Go figure.
    Yeah haha I might do a couple warp retrieves but I think you guys are into something with the slow and steady.. especially for the 200g+ jigs. Thanks!

Upvote 0
    Apr 10, 2019
    San Pedro, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    La Reina
    I have been bit both on the drop and the retrieve. Far more often on the retrieve. After trying various retrieve speeds on multiple trips, I have settled in on a moderately paced retrieve. It seems to work best, both in terms of hook ups and muscle soreness - especially since I don’t have Popeye arms!

Upvote 0

JoeyH650

Stay salty, my friends.
  • Aug 15, 2017
    Pedro Point, Ca
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    Livingston 15.5
    I have been bit both on the drop and the retrieve. Far more often on the retrieve. After trying various retrieve speeds on multiple trips, I have settled in on a moderately paced retrieve. It seems to work best, both in terms of hook ups and muscle soreness - especially since I don’t have Popeye arms!
    I like it! Haha I just have to make sure I have my spinach before I fish. Thank you for the advice! You guys are awesome for sharing your experiences and advice and it’s much appreciated. I hope to hook one on the jig and pass on the knowledge one day!

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I had seven jig hook up on my last trip. Two were on the fall, 1 was dead sticked and the rest where on the grind on variable retrieves depending on jig I was using. From watching other people hook up it seems like it's really just a matter of working the jig through a productive zone and finding fish that are willing to hit it. Although I would imagine if they are not very active a reaction bite on the fall or retrieve is more likely.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    i have only been able to grab the 140g in zebra glow and pink. used it on my last trip and for some reason it had like no action. I had 20ft of 130lb leader though, might have been a lot of drag..? Do the sk's have good action or do they fall straight down?

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Erick,
    I fish those like I do the colt snipers, only when I see surface activity and with a very short 130# leader. I tried to upload some pics of the ones that worked for me but file is too big. Check Daiwa Mr Slow, Ocean Legacy Hybrid Contact jigs, Sea Falcon Z and S series and SeaFloor control Messiah, Rector and Cranky.. But SHHH!! don't tell anyone or they may try to buy them all up.

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    This is super helpful! Last year I didn’t use a sinker rig but I was watching guys drop as fast as the weight would fall, reach the zone and then wind it back up.. I was thinking about what that does to the bait just spinning/tangling and falling with no control. Probably why only 1 fish came on the sinker last year! Thank you! We don’t get to fish this style too much (at all) up north and definitely don’t get water time to practice these techniques. You guys are epic! Cheers!
    This our all nite sinker rig bite last week and 120lb daytime flyline.

Screenshot_20210620-072713_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210620-132237_Facebook.jpg

Upvote 0

JoeyH650

Stay salty, my friends.
  • Aug 15, 2017
    Pedro Point, Ca
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    Livingston 15.5
    I had seven jig hook up on my last trip. Two were on the fall, 1 was dead sticked and the rest where on the grind on variable retrieves depending on jig I was using. From watching other people hook up it seems like it's really just a matter of working the jig through a productive zone and finding fish that are willing to hit it. Although I would imagine if they are not very active a reaction bite on the fall or retrieve is more likely.
    Seven hook ups is awesome haha sounds like you were doing something right! When you were dead sticking, were you doing that on the drop? Let it down - stop - let it down - stop kinda thing? I read some guys were doing that and totally new to that (to mostly all bluefin) technique

Upvote 0

JoeyH650

Stay salty, my friends.
  • Aug 15, 2017
    Pedro Point, Ca
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    Livingston 15.5
    i have only been able to grab the 140g in zebra glow and pink. used it on my last trip and for some reason it had like no action. I had 20ft of 130lb leader though, might have been a lot of drag..? Do the sk's have good action or do they fall straight down?
    Check the different ones on Melton tackle. Select different colors and check all sizes but don’t add to cart and it’ll tell you if they have them in stock. I was able to get 2 more 300g last week. And check out the other color patterns.. everyone goes for the Katy Perry because that’s the color everyone’s using so naturally that’s going to be the only one that gets bit, but I was able to grab a few different colors in 300g and I know color matters to a certain extent.. but I bet if someone were to use any random color and fish it at 3am at 300’ down that color might not matter as much? Although that’s my thought process with no examples to lead with in bluefin, but salmon and striper I have put that to the test and have had plenty of success haha.

Upvote 0

JoeyH650

Stay salty, my friends.
  • Aug 15, 2017
    Pedro Point, Ca
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    Livingston 15.5
    This our all nite sinker rig bite last week and 120lb daytime flyline.

View attachment 1294525

View attachment 1294526
    Yeeeeew! How fun was that?! I hope you guys left some for us in a couple weeks haha that’s badass. Crazy how many bigger grade fish are around for the taking and not being caught on the kite. Stand up bluefin fishing in the middle of the night for 100#-200# and more than one fish is all time. I was stoked for a few 40# fish in daytime haha :beerbang:

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Yeeeeew! How fun was that?! I hope you guys left some for us in a couple weeks haha that’s badass. Crazy how many bigger grade fish are around for the taking and not being caught on the kite. Stand up bluefin fishing in the middle of the night for 100#-200# and more than one fish is all time. I was stoked for a few 40# fish in daytime haha :beerbang:
    I have caught many bluefin and have caught big ones, but have never seen that many big ones bite like that.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    Reel matters when talking speed. If you're fishing a Mak or VISX you're probably going to be near burning it. Tac 20/25 and a medium/medium fast speed is fine, and saves your arm flatfalling all night. Generally in my experience you can wind too fast with the latter.

If you're shoulder to shoulder at the rail winding all the way up every time to every other time is necessary to make sure you're not wrapped with the people next to you. Really sucks when your jig in the bow wraps a fish circling deep in the corner and tangles half the boat, or you and the guy next to you get bit by different fish that wrap and go in opposite directions, yours under the boat.

Upvote 0