Flat fall set up

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat
Mission Belle
Just curious if anyone re-rigs their flat falls by removing the hooks on the braid, and replaces with a ring, to barrel swivel to ring, to larger hook. I know, sounds janky, but saw a video of it, and in the past year, I've seen a couple of the braided line hooks get chewed. With the barrel swivel, the lure still spins freely and the bigger hook is...well, a bigger hook. Like a 7/0 or 8/0. I got one BFT with a flat fall. The hook sank so deep it hooked the fish thru its eye socket.

But curious if anyone is doing this, or if this is just overkill (or lame)....

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat
Mission Belle
This is what I mean for those that need a pic

DB131D82-BC1C-4C1C-A33D-F412296C4899.jpeg

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Not a bad question.. 130lb fluror leader, crimped to jig ans swivel. This year using all 130 and 200lb 7strand stainless wire.
Thank you! I need to dig out my crimping gear and practice at it. Bought it for the wahoo bite we had, and never used it again.

Upvote 0

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat
Mission Belle
Yakdout, good point. I used it a lot on one trip so far, and no issues. I caught one BFT on it, hooked thru the eye socket! I suppose this is overkill but haven't had an issue and it got bit. I have looked into making my own steel line assist hooks. Hadn't thought about a steel leader. I suppose that would help with getting chewed off. I suppose you could really muscle a fish with a steel leader to braid

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I switched to this set up after watching multiple stock hooks fail in a variry of ways. I'll run it with a 9/0 or 11/0 as is or with a 9/0 Owner monster assist hooks tied directly to leader. No hooks on jig. Ive had 8 fish in triple digits this way and in every case the circle hook has has a perfect hookset on the corner and minimal damage to jig or leader.

20210603_161729.jpg

Jul 17, 2017
    Tuna Grounds
    Name
    Gouryella
    Boat
    Lil Yachty
    I switched to this set up after watching multiple stock hooks fail in a variry of ways. I'll run it with a 9/0 or 11/0 as is or with a 9/0 Owner monster assist hooks tied directly to leader. No hooks on jig. Ive had 8 fish in triple digits this way and in every case the circle hook has has a perfect hookset on the corner and minimal damage to jig or leader.

View attachment 1301684
    I like. A friend of mine recommended me to do this. Easier to switch out the jigs/flatfall.

Is that the factory ring on the circle hook? and what size is that circle hook.

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I like. A friend of mine recommended me to do this. Easier to switch out the jigs/flatfall.

Is that the factory ring on the circle hook? and what size is that circle hook.
    I run 7/0 though 11/0 with 150 or 200 mono leader. Will also add 9/0 monster assist hook for larger jigs or make my own assist hooks for extra large knife jigs.

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Only in one case, out of about 25 hits the fish hit the jig (evident by the teeth marks) and missed the hook. The advatage of the offset circle hook is that when the fish hits the jigs and turns or you react quickly enough and turn the handle the hook will catch as it’s designed.

Reactions: Arima-bob

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I run 7/0 though 11/0 with 150 or 200 mono leader. Will also add 9/0 monster assist hook for larger jigs or make my own assist hooks for extra large knife jigs.
    Where are you adding the 9/0 Monster Assist Hook?
    You are mixing the top circle hook with a J assist hook?

Reactions: Sawmill killer
    Upvote 0