Flat Fall jigs

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Tymeflyme, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    F1F97795-1601-45DA-9865-0204D1F159F7.jpeg I went this route

carterantebi, Juanba and Adrien Baker like this.
  2. knot keely

knot keely Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None (yet)
    Never thought I’d see a bridled flat fall. So how’d it work?

3. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Haven’t used it myself and can’t take credit for the idea. I saw it I believe in the jigging forum along with a report that the guy had gone 2/2 on fish well over #100. IMO it looks like a great solution (especially with the 8/0 Super Mutu if it finds its proper home)

4. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    If it isn't daylight, use a bigger circle hook. Dark or graylight use a 10/0-13/0. Lure works like a sea anchor and will help the hook set in the corner. Tuna bite and turn, so as long as you come tight, you should have a hook up, even on the retrieve.

Cubeye likes this.
  5. Laukia

Laukia boss

Name:
    Dave R
    Boat:
    28' Carolina Classic/Pursuit 2350
    I haven't caught one on a "falling leaf"...................but soon, I'm thinking. bd-2018-04-22-09.32.43.jpg

6. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    It seems to me after all the info and ideas with 2018 season maybe we have learned a few things. I threw them last year in the mornings from 3am to light and nothing. But still hopeful and certain. Will be throwing some serious PL68 this year though.

I think from memory last year it was these getting bit Gil and Gut deep like Southbay pictured and then bitten off. I rigged mine all with crimped #200 Izor as well. From reading this thread entirely it seems the only common denominator?

7. Jeremiah Lubas

Jeremiah Lubas Jeremiah

Name:
    Jeremiah
    Boat:
    Jackson Cuda HD
    After reading through this thread as well as another, I rigged up a few FF’s as shown in the photo below like Robert's. Owner Monster Stinger 7/0 & an Owner Jobu 8/0 on the larger sizes. The third photo shows a what I feel may be a potential problem with this rigging, as the two hooks may grab hold of one another and affect a potential hookup. Does anyone have any experience with such an issue or maybe an educated opinion on the potential for success/failure?

36EF0470-8CB2-423B-BE02-ADC5414BD89A.jpeg 9C1274D7-6B5A-4CC7-B550-01DE393962B3.jpeg 1B2C2953-2104-4399-AE0B-28EC0B44161E.jpeg

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Buttchaser likes this.
  8. carterantebi

carterantebi I hate fishing

Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Pacific Queen!
    I’d probably shorten the braid length or put the top hook directly on the split ring.

9. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Generally, you match trebles to crankbaits with the largest hooks that won't interlock like that bc they likely will on casting.

I'd probably shorten it up a bit so they can't foul each other, and I'd generally be more concerned with it getting in the way of the leader and terminal tackle.

I rigged a couple up with wired assist hooks to try, I'll share later.

10. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    This is how I rig mine also. Caught 134 last season on this ( 250gr)

11. bluewaterbum

bluewaterbum Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    none
    I've been going thru a bunch of posts with great ideas for rigging the FlatFall jigs, thanks for the ideas.
    The above said, unless you're fishing Mexican waters where 4 hooks are legal, some riggings are illegal in Ca waters where 2 hooks only are legal. I know most here know this, but some who come and read might not.

12. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Where does it say 2 hooks is the max? Ever seen a sabiki or a lucky craft.

It’s only specified for certain species, such as rockfish, as far as I can decipher.

13. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Any feedback on the reeldiculous brand? Do they glow good? I got a 2.5 day trip comming up and want to add a 220 or 250 gram glow to my arsenal. Right now I got 2 160 grams (sardine and glow) and 1 250g in plurple. Amazon has the reeldiculous for $18.

I think im gonna rig with upgraded owner assist at the top and the jobu at the bottom like shown here.

How long of a 200lb leader do you guys use? Also do you tie braid directly to the leader swivel? Just got a Fathom 40ld2 spooled with 80lb hollow just for flatfall (and maybe 60lb live bait if needed). I have a loop at the end of the hollow, can I just square knot the loop on the leader swivel? Or should I loose the loop and do a double Sandiego jam? Was also thinking of maybe using a loop to loop to a 130lb short wind on and then tie to the flatfall leader... suggestions? Id like to keep the hollow loop accessible in case later in the day I need to re-rig for a 60lb floro wind on.

I cant seem to be able to find Izorline 200lb leader except online for $$... does it really matter? Im on east coast so noone carries it. All I need is 25yds for rigging these.

14. effigy

effigy Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Which one? Too many....
    50 yards izor 200 leader is $10.00 at Charkbait. That's 2 coffee drinks.

AdamHJeep likes this.
  15. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Hi Adam, if it’s really that tricky I can send you a few yards of 200lb mono for free. All of my leaders are about 2-3’, if you make them too long it can be a problem getting the fish gaffed.
    I straight tied my spectra to the swivel on my leaders. It was solid, in your case you should be able to loop right into the swivel.

16. Adrien Baker

Adrien Baker Born to get down.

Name:
    Adrien Baker
    Boat:
    Ultra
    As mentioned, 2-3 ft. If you have a loop use a cats paw or loop to loop..

Adrien

17. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    I just got back from a 1.5 day trip going for BF where I started crimping my own FF leaders.

I found out the leaders I made were too long.There was too much hanging from the swivel (at rod tip) to the end of the FF.

I had a tackle shop make one for me before I started doing my own. The one I got was 5', the ones I made were 5 1/2'. I'm going to cut those down to maybe 3-4'. Another thing to consider is the length of the rod. The rods I was using these with were 7'-6". I'm thinking 3-4' would be ideal for me.

I used a double SD jam knot to attach to swivel.

Amazon has kits made by Catch All Tackle. They come with 100 yards of mono (your choice #), loop protectors, and crimps. Takes the thinking out if it. Just need the swivel and the crimpers. Most of those kits are add ons so they are available same day.

kayakbeast33 and AdamHJeep like this.
  18. Fincutter

Fincutter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    I know that a lot of people believe in this type of rigging and I have no basis to disagree. However, I it seems to me that the assist-hook set up would stay with the jig on the way up but trail on the way down. Given that Flat-Falls mostly get bit on the way down, I've been wondering if the trailing assist hooks would miss more hookups than rigging that keeps the hook near the jig. What am I missing?

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  19. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Ill prob order along with a cork puppy ive been looking to get. Naybe some blackwater wind ons too.

20. kimbo

kimbo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Toe-knee
    Boat:
    21' cabo
    Izor xxx or 1st string?