Mack's-Magic

Yo! Ima go catch a TUNA!
May 15, 2016
UTAH
Name
Dave Magruder
Boat
Inflatable ducky
Howdy from Utah all you salty dogs! I'm looking forward to my second season of offshore fishing with the San Diego fleet! I have three trips scheduled for this year...a 4 day in mid-August, another 4 day in mid-September, and a 1.5 day in mid-October. Going with Poseidon, Constitution, and Legend (in that order).

I'm feeling pretty good with my arsenal so far.....

Shimano Speedmaster II 12 spooled up with 80lb Hollow Ace paired with a Phenix 7' heavy rod 30-50lb
Shimano Tranx 500 PG spooled with 65Lb Max Cuatro paired with a Phenix 7' Med Heavy rod 20-40lb
Shimano Saragosa 14000 spinner spooled with 65lb Max Cautro paired with an Okuma 7' Heavy rod 40-60lb
Quantum Cabo 50 spinner spooled with 65lb Max Cautro paired with an Okuma 7' Medium rod 25-40lb

Now for my question!

I want to build a set up that's adequate for Flat Fall fishing for those larger grade BFT. I'm thinking a Shimano Speedmaster II 25 reel and spool it with the new PowerPro Depth Hunter Offshore in either 100lb or 130lb? It's cool that it has a color change every 100' which seems like a great way to monitor what depth your jig actually is! What line do you recommend? Is 100lb adequate, or should I step up to the 130lb and give up a little capacity? I'll be using the 200lb flouro leaders that Fisherman's Landing Tackle Shop rigs up. They replaced all the assist hooks on my jigs too...so good to go there!

For the rod, I have a Shimano Terez TZC66XH that is rated for 65lb-200lb braid. Do you think that will be heavy enough for railing on those bigger BFT's?

I appreciate your opinions!

pwstriper

Sep 26, 2005
San Diego, Clairemont
Name
Mike M
Boat
Kencraft
your rods seem light for the reel matches.

for the flatfall at 25 is to combersome, go with a 20. I fish 80 or 100, no need for 130 and it will drag more in the water, which wont be ideal with current. Kind of depends also on the size of flatfall.

Upvote 0

Mack's-Magic

Yo! Ima go catch a TUNA!
May 15, 2016
UTAH
Name
Dave Magruder
Boat
Inflatable ducky
your rods seem light for the reel matches.

for the flatfall at 25 is to combersome, go with a 20. I fish 80 or 100, no need for 130 and it will drag more in the water, which wont be ideal with current. Kind of depends also on the size of flatfall.
Thanks for the reply! I agree that some of my rods are lighter than ideal...but I'm limited to using "travel" series rods, and these are the heaviest I can find. I used them last year and never felt under gunned.

*Edit* I got the 25 in the mail...and you are absolutely right. too big to be comfortable. I think I'll order a 20 size after all!

Good point on the line size!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DennisV

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
I don't think the Power Pro Depth Hunter line is a good idea. Keep in mind that these flat fall bites are usually in the dark and those darker colors on that metered line are going to be impossible to see and follow your fish around and maybe tangle up with everybody else.

White braid, marked every 50 ft is a better idea.

Upvote 0

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
The metered lines I typically run are colored every 10 meters.

5 colors, roughly 150' per set of colors and start over.

Your'e going to watch for a sharpie mark coming by as you free spool?

Sounds like a lot of work.

Another helpful hint that seems like it might be helpful here is to have a headgear flashlight when fishing in the dark.

Reactions: Dbado1

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
I like a good 2-speed reel for big tuna vs. a single-speed 5.2/1 gear ratio reel. In the sub-$300 range I like the Penn Fathom 60 ld2. Better still would be a large frame Penn VISX 16 or Okuma Makaira 16, just in case the BFT are running Big. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Koyote
Upvote 0

JK47

May 19, 2019
HB
Name
Alek
Boat
SS Minnow
The metered lines I typically run are colored every 10 meters.

5 colors, roughly 150' per set of colors and start over.

Your'e going to watch for a sharpie mark coming by as you free spool?

Sounds like a lot of work.

Another helpful hint that seems like it might be helpful here is to have a headgear flashlight when fishing in the dark.
My sharpie marks are a foot long and easy to see on white line at full free spool. First mark is a single dash, second two dashes each separated by a few feet, and the third mark three dashes...

If you really want to be that guy that fishes dark line on a party boat, go right ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Idamike

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
I don't think the Power Pro Depth Hunter line is a good idea. Keep in mind that these flat fall bites are usually in the dark and those darker colors on that metered line are going to be impossible to see and follow your fish around and maybe tangle up with everybody else.

White braid, marked every 50 ft is a better idea.
Agreed, but I now calibrate the fall rAte of various jigs, and let them sink to a certain count. Its independent of the boat drift speed.

I don't know much about the reel but 44lb drag is about enough. I prefer 50+ lbs and have used it. It also lists capacity of 470 yds of 100lb, but you may get more with hollow. Most guys who fish the big BFTs prefer 600 yds. Remember that the big ones are often hooked 100 to 200 yds deep.i always have 30 yards of 100 of 130 lb of mono also.

As for the rods, all rods feel drag not line weight. So with the rods how does it shut down with 30 to 40lb drag.

Upvote 0