Flat fall jigging rod lengths for 250-320 gram lures

Don Burnett

Jun 26, 2020
Long Beach, Ca.
Name
Don Burnett
Boat
N/A
I’m getting into Bluefin tuna fishing ... and have a question on what is a good rod length ?
I’ve got three 200#+++ yellowfin under my belt...
I haven’t been long range fishing in about five years and have and getting rid of the old school custom wrapped Calstar’s with all roller guides... I now have several United Composite rods ... one being a 7’6” Viper ... I like the longer rods for pulling on larger fish.
But most boats only accommodate a length of 88” ...unless you lean them up front toward the bow ...
I’m thinking about purchasing another rod in the 7 foot length ... but I really like the UC Viper in the 7’6” length.
I’m using a Mikaria 50 with 800 yds of 130# braid... and I also have a Penn 30SW with 500 yds of 130# ...
From their I also have two Penn 30T’s loaded with 80-100# braid ... and one older Penn 16S with 500 yea of 80#...
I figure I’m about ready to pester the bigger Bluefin this year ...
I’m still in the market for one more rod ... ANOTHER ... UC Viper 7’6” ????
Suggestions

Reactions: kayakbeast33

watersdeep

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
My 7'6'' viper fits just fine on every sport boat it's ever been on. Can't say that about my 90j, but i make it work.

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
I have 2 dedicated flatfall rods, 1 is a custom 8 foot rainshadow rod, 50-130, so I can jig the flatfall farther, and a 2x4 as a backup. Mark your line every 50feet to 400.

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
I’m getting into Bluefin tuna fishing ... and have a question on what is a good rod length ?
I’ve got three 200#+++ yellowfin under my belt...
I haven’t been long range fishing in about five years and have and getting rid of the old school custom wrapped Calstar’s with all roller guides... I now have several United Composite rods ... one being a 7’6” Viper ... I like the longer rods for pulling on larger fish.
But most boats only accommodate a length of 88” ...unless you lean them up front toward the bow ...
I’m thinking about purchasing another rod in the 7 foot length ... but I really like the UC Viper in the 7’6” length.
I’m using a Mikaria 50 with 800 yds of 130# braid... and I also have a Penn 30SW with 500 yds of 130# ...
From their I also have two Penn 30T’s loaded with 80-100# braid ... and one older Penn 16S with 500 yea of 80#...
I figure I’m about ready to pester the bigger Bluefin this year ...
I’m still in the market for one more rod ... ANOTHER ... UC Viper 7’6” ????
Suggestions
So I'm fortunate with 3 YFT cows and 2 BFT cows,both on flatfall. Biggest BFT on my small 200g flatfall.

How heavy is the Viper rated?

Your Mak50 on the Viper or new 2x4 is your go-to. Your 30sw is marginal but the good thing is you don't need freespool to flatfall. Test the max drag on it at strike and full. Can you get near 40lb? Its your 100 lb set up for smaller flatfalls in the 160-200 range. Leave the 30ts at home. Your 16s is your daytime sinker rig on 60lb mono/rod. . Same thing, test the drags.

Latest posts