Outhouse

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
On my 8 day trip about 2 weeks ago, I had pretty good success with Flat Falls for both Yellowtail and schoolie tuna. Anyway, I swapped out a 100 size lure for a 160 and immediately got hooked up to a tuna that probably went 40-50#. At the gaff, strangely, the hook "pulled", or so I thought. Upon inspection, I found that the hook snapped at the bend of the hook. Has anyone else had such a failure?

For the price, I expect not to have such a failure.

.:LOLLY:.

Nov 18, 2011
Downey, CA
Name
Alfredo
Boat
Float Tube
Maybe dykes were used to unhook previous fish and it weakened the hook?

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
There's another post talking about broken hooks on flat falls and like Dan has said their owner hooks so I guess owner stinger aren't that good or hooks

Last edited:
Reactions: pukahd

.:LOLLY:.

Nov 18, 2011
Downey, CA
Name
Alfredo
Boat
Float Tube
Nope, brand new lure
Damn, that sucks. Hopefully it was a fluke but you're right. At that price it shouldn't be happening. At this point all you can do is make your own stingers but that'll be adding more to the cost.

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
There have been a lot of reports on these pages that the quality of the stock Flat Fall hooks is suspect. I have no personal experience, but the reports worried me enough that I've replaced the stock hooks on the flat falls that I've got...although I too think that stock hooks should be suitable, esp for those prices.

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
If there's a quality issue with the stock hooks, then Owner hooks is responsible for the bad quality.

That said, both Shinano and Owner should be contacted about this issue.

It seems that the hooks break at about the same place, right at the bend and that is a quality control issue at Owner manufacturing plant.

REK

Oct 21, 2006
Oasis
Name
Ron
Boat
rowboat
My take........rockfish hooks on rockfish lures being used to catch fish larger than rockfish. I have yet to use the couple of flat falls I purchased but when I brought them home and had a look see, the hooks were changed out. Kevlar assist cord to HD gamis.

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
Don't feel alone on this Jon I've had the hook break just past the sweep of the bend on two flat falls

Reactions: pukahd

pukahd

Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
On my 8 day trip about 2 weeks ago, I had pretty good success with Flat Falls for both Yellowtail and schoolie tuna. Anyway, I swapped out a 100 size lure for a 160 and immediately got hooked up to a tuna that probably went 40-50#. At the gaff, strangely, the hook "pulled", or so I thought. Upon inspection, I found that the hook snapped at the bend of the hook. Has anyone else had such a failure?

For the price, I expect not to have such a failure.[/QUOTE

I had mines break on a big yellow. Those hooks are not made of regular metals as a normal hook. They seem to be made of some very light metals. I replaced the stock hooks with a beefier set.
20150803_134709.jpg

20150803_121024.jpg

20150803_141305.jpg

Last edited:

pukahd

Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
Wanna see how the spectra is tied to the hook ?

Overhand Granny loop with the tag wrapped with thread or spectra.

20150803_135053.jpg

Last edited:

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I don't have a gripe about how the hooks are tied onto the kevlar. Shimano response (from Dan) is that the hooks are from Owner and we should take it up with them. I have to say that the response should be that they (Shimano) will warranty the breakage and that they are going to find better hooks.

Reactions: pukahd and etwizard

pukahd

Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
What a great response......"Shimano response (from Dan) is 》》》》》 that the hooks are from Owner and we should take it up with them"

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
We do not manufacture the hooks. I stated that Owner makes the hooks and we have no control over their production. I contacted our factory to let them know what we have seen. Based on how many we sell vs. how many broken ones we have seen, its about .0000098% failure rate. I think that is pretty good quality overall. We have replacement hooks. We can replace the hook for you if you feel like you have an inferior product.