aquaholic

Almost A Member
Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
For those of you rigging flat falls and other bluefin jigs with a bridle/circle hook can you tell me what size circle you are using and from what company (since sizes can vary greatly between manufacturers)? I assume smaller for smaller jigs.

Robert

PullOnThis

Almost A Member
Feb 28, 2018
California
Name
PullOnThis One
Boat
Floating beer cooler
I use a 10/0 super mutu with 250-350g jigs. I used a 5/0 super mutu for a 100g, but I feel like once you get the smaller grade fish around (15-40 lbs), it’s probably best to use traditional assist hooks versus a bridle - just seems like too big a rig for a smaller fish. Everyone will probably have a different opinion, but to each their own.
For the big boys though, the 10/0 doesn’t seem too big at all and I have read here some others use even bigger hooks...

Upvote 0

PullOnThis

Almost A Member
Feb 28, 2018
California
Name
PullOnThis One
Boat
Floating beer cooler
I do use a ringed version. Some others here have mentioned that it may increase the chance of a crotch break on the crimp to the leader, but to each their own.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
Upvote 0

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    this is a 160 gm ff w 8/0 owner in line circle hook. does the size of hook and loop look right?
    CA0F8839-AA10-408A-8CE7-603177AA3FBF.jpeg

Upvote 0

DennisV

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    That's probably okay but why risk it. I use 11/0 super mutus myself. There's some big fish out there. I have caught fish as small as 22 pounds on that 11/0 super mutu. Doesn't seem to be a problem using a hook that big

Reactions: tunakillerjoe1
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    So no assists at all? I would think on the end, short would work. I do not see a knot for the bridle. Just make a loop and maybe uni them? Any particular size spectra fot it? Thanks

Upvote 0

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    So no assists at all? I would think on the end, short would work. I do not see a knot for the bridle. Just make a loop and maybe uni them? Any particular size spectra fot it? Thanks
    that's right. no assist hooks for this approach. connect directly to the circle hook. the braid in that loop is 200 lb hollow w/ ends inserted/spliced, so there is no knot.

my intent is to use that setup above as daytime w/ 50 or 60 lb flouro topshot. the hook doesn't look stout in the pix, but it is very strong. was strongest inline that FL had in stock. i picked up some 11/0 inline eagle claws too - they are enormous and i was planning on using nightime w/ 250+ gm jigs.

thanks for input.

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    I'm pretty much just starting out on the FF scene. I have a 200gr. jig that spins quite a bit on the drop. I have only used it for Rockfish and Lings so far, but it is by far the best catcher out of my jigs. Problem is, it spins so much that it twists up leaders after just a few drops.
    I was thinking of putting a ball bearing swivel in place of Jurel Hunter's 200# hollow braid loop with a tab of rubberband to hold it on the hook. Do you guys think that would kill the twist and still work for hooking fish? What size and kind of hooks and swivels would you recommend for a) Rockfish & Lings b) Daytime BFT c) Nighttime BFT?

Upvote 0

PullOnThis

Almost A Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    California
    Name
    PullOnThis One
    Boat
    Floating beer cooler
    I'm pretty much just starting out on the FF scene. I have a 200gr. jig that spins quite a bit on the drop. I have only used it for Rockfish and Lings so far, but it is by far the best catcher out of my jigs. Problem is, it spins so much that it twists up leaders after just a few drops.
    I was thinking of putting a ball bearing swivel in place of Jurel Hunter's 200# hollow braid loop with a tab of rubberband to hold it on the hook. Do you guys think that would kill the twist and still work for hooking fish? What size and kind of hooks and swivels would you recommend for a) Rockfish & Lings b) Daytime BFT c) Nighttime BFT?
    81A9B1F3-816F-42AE-BF2D-9DAAC867E6CA.jpeg

I use a swivel on mine as you can see in the picture above. I have since made the loop of kevlar going from the hook shorter. The way I built mine was as follows: jig to split ring to swivel, attached to Kevlar loop connected to a 10/0 super mutu, then crimped to a 5 foot long 200# flouro leader. The jig spins freely and flutters on the drop as if it were free from any connection. This way you never have to worry about the Kevlar loop twisting when tied directly to the jig. Have had zero issues with the jig bridled in this fashion.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Here's what worked 2 weeks ago on Tomahawk, first time bridling for me so I'm no expert! 100# fluoro leader direct tied to a 12/0 Eagle Claw 2004G Circle Hook. Went 4-for-4 on hook-ups, 2 on the drop, 2 on the crank. Biggest 185#
    PXL_20210527_151306927.jpg
    PXL_20210527_151245054.jpg
    PXL_20210524_074229450.jpg

PullOnThis

Almost A Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    California
    Name
    PullOnThis One
    Boat
    Floating beer cooler