Flat fall bridle leader setup

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
I spent a couple hours today rigging up some flat fall bridal leaders using 236# swivels, 180# flouro and huge 12/0 ringed circle hooks. This leader setup was recommended by Afraser and I'm looking forward to trying it out on my upcoming 3 day trip....

20201026_142045.jpg

20201026_150252.jpg

20201026_150319.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
Part of the benefit of the whole bridle system is the stealthiness. I use either my mono shock leader tied to the circle or 130# flouro depending on what’s on the reel at the time and haven’t ever needed more. You got too much shit on there and way more points of failure. The braided loop if it’s done with 200# spectra negates the need for a swivel.

Don’t forget the leader should be long enough that a tail slap won’t be hitting spectra. Definitely don’t put a swivel on a long leader or you won’t be bringing the fish to gaff either. FG - leader - hook...that’s all.

Reactions: Wandering Blues
Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
The braided loop if it’s done with 200# spectra negates the need for a swivel.
Don’t forget the leader should be long enough that a tail slap won’t be hitting spectra. Definitely don’t put a swivel on a long leader or you won’t be bringing the fish to gaff either. FG - leader - hook...that’s all.

Interesting points.
Why would the braided loop negate the need for a swivel?
Tail slapping spectra over mono?
No swivel because?

I have tied a handful of flatfall setups that break these rules, but can alter them.
thanks

Upvote 0

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
The braided loop is more supple than Kevlar. It allows the jig to move freely enough so that when it spins it does a couple rotations, tightens, and then reverses itself. That negates the swivel. As for leader material itself my preference is about 12-20’ of 130# flouro. This saves you from a tail slap to your spectra which is a game ender under high tension.

Sometimes I have my reel already setup with a shock leader for fishing a flyer. That consists of 30-40’ of izorline 100 mono which I tie to my specialized flyer leader. In that case I go all out with the hardware because it’s all above water and hidden, but if I’m flat falling for the night, I just tie onto the mono. I haven’t lost one that way either. The circle ensures the leader is out of harms way.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
The braided loop is more supple than Kevlar. It allows the jig to move freely enough so that when it spins it does a couple rotations, tightens, and then reverses itself. That negates the swivel. As for leader material itself my preference is about 12-20’ of 130# flouro. This saves you from a tail slap to your spectra which is a game ender under high tension.

Sometimes I have my reel already setup with a shock leader for fishing a flyer. That consists of 30-40’ of izorline 100 mono which I tie to my specialized flyer leader. In that case I go all out with the hardware because it’s all above water and hidden, but if I’m flat falling for the night, I just tie onto the mono. I haven’t lost one that way either. The circle ensures the leader is out of harms way.
Now I know where that mono on my reels came from!

Upvote 0

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
The bridal loop is heavy Kevlar which is why i used a swivel.

The reel i'm going to use this on has 80# mono as a shock leader that I will tie the swivel to.

The leader length is 6 feet

Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer

This is a thread jack, but I would like your opinion. I built these rigs last year, but have not caught a fish on them. Should have a legit chance this weekend. The have 750# kevlar spliced loops that I know are good. I bounce test them with 50# weights to set the knot. The leader is 200# mono and short, but I run a mono windon.

My question is the swivels. There are 3- 300# swivels on the rig. 2- on the leader and one the rod clip. So I can remove the swivel on the top of the leader?

thanks

flatfallrig.jpg

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I'm a little confused about your "braided loop". Do you mean a spliced loop in braided line? Spectra, Kevlar, Dacron are all braided line.

What material are you using for the bridle?

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Let me guess...green chiles and elk?

Local whiskey, local craft beer, some of the wife’s peach/green chile jam, piñon coffee, and local green chile sauce..

I’m waiting for elk from my neighbor, who just happens to love tuna...😏

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA

I can see the point of the 200lb braid being more supple than the kevlar. Likely to lose it on a fish, but that is ok. I might do the pepsi challenge with that on one of my flatfall rigs. Might be worth doubling some hollow 200 as an option too, putting one strand inside another. The lighter 130# fluoro leader might be a good option too, especially during the day. Maybe even 80 or 100# especially with a decent size circle hook. But at night, I'm giving them the rope and a 13/0. That thing its the corner of the jaw every time. I still use a swivel because that line does get twisted up with the flatfall action. I tie decent sd jam knots, so I don't see it as a point of failure any more than the line itself. I don't think I've had a knot fail in heavy line in forever. So short 130# windon to 200# fluoro or 300# mono bite/gill leader, combined at least 8 feet long.

Upvote 0