Dexter Outdoors

BarneyGumble

Hey Now!!
Sep 10, 2006
Whittier
Name
Bruce
Boat
Never-prefer to leave the hard work to the professionals!
Hi guys and girls!!!

While waiting to board the beautiful Intrepid for my 6 day vacation with the guys from JRI Custom Lures, I was approached by Sara from Five Star Processing. She was signing customers for service upon return. I had never used Five Star, as I had been a long time customer of another processor (rhymes with "Tisherman's Trocessing).

I generally donate about half of my fish to charity, and process the rest with same-day service. I asked Sara if Five Star accepts donations, and was surprised to learn they (Five Star) were actually looking for about 2500 pounds at the request of Make-A-Wish. I signed up on the spot, thinking that I would process all the jumbo bluefin that I was guaranteed to catch, and donate the yellowtail. Make-A-Wish Is my favorite charity and I viewed this as a win-win.

The trip was great and relaxing. However, fishing was a bit slow and the boat managed to squeek out Mexican limits of mid-grade yellowtail. No other fish were caught. I was a bit disappointed in that I would only be able to donate about half of my modest catch, processing the rest.

My experiences with the other processor had me expecting to donate not more than half my total weight of the fish I caught.

I understand that the processors are a business and need to make money. It is my belief that the processor would actually lose money by handling fish donations, as they have to coordinate the distribution to the various recipients, with no revenue received in return. I am truly appreciative for the charitable work they do for both the fisherman, as well as the receiving organizations.

While sorting fish at the dock, I checked in with Five Star. My tag number was 8, and told them I didn't have many fish. I half-jokingly said I would donate ALL of my fish to charity, but without even a blink of an eye, was told "Yes Sir!" Additionally, my fishing buddy who also signed with Five Star, was able to donate ALL of his fish!

I received my receipt in the mail from Five Star, and it included a hand-written note that said "Thank you for your donation of yellowtail :). Fishy wishes, Five Star".

Five Star now has me as a customer for life. I will share my positive experience with Five Star wth my fellow fisherman and try to steer undecided customers Five Star's way.

I have no intention of "dumping" any unwanted catch on his fine business. I really feel kind of guilty about not giving them any of my money. I will try to make up for their lost revenue by sharing my positive experience with those I know and my plan is to process more fish from future trips, as well as purchase of some of their specialty items and services. A generous tip will accompany my payment.

Thank you to Sara and all of the friendly, hard-working Five Star employees that worked hard to handle my, as well as my buddy's, catch and coordinating the transfer to a worthy, charitable recipient.

We have all read threads on this forum bashing certain operations and highlighting poor customer service. It is reassuring to know that there are still quality people and positive interactions that all come together to make the total experience of a long range trip an enjoyable one.

Well done!

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Hi guys and girls!!!

While waiting to board the beautiful Intrepid for my 6 day vacation with the guys from JRI Custom Lures, I was approached by Sara from Five Star Processing. She was signing customers for service upon return. I had never used Five Star, as I had been a long time customer of another processor (rhymes with "Tisherman's Trocessing).

I generally donate about half of my fish to charity, and process the rest with same-day service. I asked Sara if Five Star accepts donations, and was surprised to learn they (Five Star) were actually looking for about 2500 pounds at the request of Make-A-Wish. I signed up on the spot, thinking that I would process all the jumbo bluefin that I was guaranteed to catch, and donate the yellowtail. Make-A-Wish Is my favorite charity and I viewed this as a win-win.

The trip was great and relaxing. However, fishing was a bit slow and the boat managed to squeek out Mexican limits of mid-grade yellowtail. No other fish were caught. I was a bit disappointed in that I would only be able to donate about half of my modest catch, processing the rest.

My experiences with the other processor had me expecting to donate not more than half my total weight of the fish I caught.

I understand that the processors are a business and need to make money. It is my belief that the processor would actually lose money by handling fish donations, as they have to coordinate the distribution to the various recipients, with no revenue received in return. I am truly appreciative for the charitable work they do for both the fisherman, as well as the receiving organizations.

While sorting fish at the dock, I checked in with Five Star. My tag number was 8, and told them I didn't have many fish. I half-jokingly said I would donate ALL of my fish to charity, but without even a blink of an eye, was told "Yes Sir!" Additionally, my fishing buddy who also signed with Five Star, was able to donate ALL of his fish!

I received my receipt in the mail from Five Star, and it included a hand-written note that said "Thank you for your donation of yellowtail :). Fishy wishes, Five Star".

Five Star now has me as a customer for life. I will share my positive experience with Five Star wth my fellow fisherman and try to steer undecided customers Five Star's way.

I have no intention of "dumping" any unwanted catch on his fine business. I really feel kind of guilty about not giving them any of my money. I will try to make up for their lost revenue by sharing my positive experience with those I know and my plan is to process more fish from future trips, as well as purchase of some of their specialty items and services. A generous tip will accompany my payment.

Thank you to Sara and all of the friendly, hard-working Five Star employees that worked hard to handle my, as well as my buddy's, catch and coordinating the transfer to a worthy, charitable recipient.

We have all read threads on this forum bashing certain operations and highlighting poor customer service. It is reassuring to know that there are still quality people and positive interactions that all come together to make the total experience of a long range trip an enjoyable one.

Well done!

Very well said. I've been dealing with Sarah & 5 Star for many years. Sarah has a very large heart, as all her employees. She always gives the best customer service and make every effort to help others. She is a very special person?

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I think that we are really in a wonderful situation, having three excellent fish processors serving the Mission Bay/San Diego landings. I too am a big fan of 5 Star, but have also had nothing but good experiences with the other two as well. I think having such good competition keeps them ALL at their best.

Upvote 0

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
    Sep 25, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    what ever floats
    Been using five star for years, great people. nothing bad to say about the two other processors but five star won me over years ago.

Reactions: fishgirl
    Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
    Feb 8, 2011
    Westchester NY
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    *****!

I'd told this story several time in the past, so here we go!

I'd been recommended to utilize five-star by a veteran, Bloody Decker and I've used them on 6 occasions. The first time they processed 150 pounds of catch from the 6 AM offload, in time for me to be on board a 12 o'clock flight back East. (Amazing!) The second time with advanced warning, they did the same thing and got me on the flight with 7 boxes totaling 350 pounds of processed fish. Since it couldn't fit in a taxi, they generously had their own truck driver deliver me to the airport! In September 2013 I think it was, they processed 999 pounds, facilitated 150 pound donation to a children's charity and once again processed seven boxes equaling 350 pounds. The job, as always was immaculate!!!

To say Sarah & the staff are great, is an understatement.

They put the service back in "customer service"; the old fashioned way, by exceeding the customers expectations!

I will only stop using them, when I'm deceased...

Tight lines.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
    Sep 22, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Name
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    I love what Five Star does. I live in Colorado and have used them multiple times now and I dont even stress anymore about my fish showing up at DIA within a couple weeks. They process it like all the other fish. Then they store it and deep freeze it. Then they plan around my schedule to run it over to the Southwest teriminal so I can pick it up after the flight. Always packed well with a bazillion ice packs etc.

They will always have my business and I'm so greatful they make the most stressful part of traveling back a total non issue and something not to even think twice about.....Now as for the bill LOL. I checked in with over a 1000lbs from a 6 day in 2013. Needless to say I donated/shared half my fish with less fortunate anglers the following year :D

Upvote 0

The Right Kind

Slave to a Boat
  • Jul 9, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express

I fish several different trips with guys that donate their whole catch, not with 5 Star and never a problem. ???

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I fish several different trips with guys that donate their whole catch, not with 5 Star and never a problem. ???

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Through Five Star, you can donate as much of your catch as you wish.
    The charity that works through Five Star is www.f3g.org that's Fish. Food. Feel Good.

I truly enjoy donating fish, mine goes to the local Methodist Church here in Bishop, and I found a local charity foundation to pay the filet bill. They're feeding 70-90 people 3 days a week in the Soup Kitchen.

All of the folks at Five Star are great. Sarah and her crew with Marco and the rest of the guys, the kids, Tanner, Charlie and Molly.
    Rocio is awesome in the office and they always do a great job with product and service. Are they perfect? Of course not, they're all human, but the way it gets handled is what counts. They bend over backwards for their customers. Glad I'm one.

Upvote 0

nednash

Sep 29, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Ned
    Boat
    none
    I don't normally like being repetitive, but in this case I will be. Every time 5 Star comes up, I have to chime in. So far as customer service goes, they are absolutely the model that could be followed by all business. Top notch, friendly and all about the quality of the experience. Thanks again, Sarah and Co!

Upvote 0

dinko

Almost A Member
    Jul 13, 2009
    long beach, calif
    Name
    danny
    Boat
    excel
    Hi guys and girls!!!

Well done!

Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
    May 14, 2007
    Alta Loma, CA
    Name
    Jackson
    Boat
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    I used to use 5 Star for all my processing. I have used all 3 at one time or another. For the last several years I have been using Fisherman's. I just got off a 7 day with a butt load of big YT, there was a long line at Fisherman's (no Rosie though - bummer) and nothing really going on at the 5 Star booth so I went over and talked to Sarah. I told her that I wasn't crazy about how they used to clean my YT and how I liked the way Fisherman's took out ALL of the YT blood line. She said "no problem", my fish was done within a couple of hours, looking perfect. I'll definitely continue to use them. Kudos 5 Star.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I used to use 5 Star for all my processing. I have used all 3 at one time or another. For the last several years I have been using Fisherman's. I just got off a 7 day with a butt load of big YT, there was a long line at Fisherman's (no Rosie though - bummer) and nothing really going on at the 5 Star booth so I went over and talked to Sarah. I told her that I wasn't crazy about how they used to clean my YT and how I liked the way Fisherman's took out ALL of the YT blood line. She said "no problem", my fish was done within a couple of hours, looking perfect. I'll definitely continue to use them. Kudos 5 Star.

Well, there ya go!

Reactions: Ono Wrangler
    Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    I've gone on record many times how I feel about Five Star. I've always gotten the very best quality processing from them. Nothing could possibly be better. But for me, it is the F-ING INCREDIBLE customer service that makes them truly different.

I live in Mexico. That makes getting fish home very challenging. Five Star works with me in every way possible, holding my fish until I can bring it myself. They have taken care of me not just like friends, but like family.

I am sure that the competition offers excellent quality too, but I will never use another processor. If anyone asks me, I tell them the same: you will never be sorry choosing Five Star. And if anything is not just right, let them know, and they will totally fix it.

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    5 Star is the best. There customer service is out of this world...not compared to other fish processing places....but to all forms of business. Just amazing. I always do same day and always get my reservation in early....often I am the first done. So I pick up my fish, Pay and I am on the road before Sarah and gang even get back to the facility.

Then she calls me on my long drive back to the bay area to make sure everything went ok. Just amazing that type of concern for their service.

I don't just return as a loyal customer I bring all my friends and newbie fishermen with me.

Upvote 0

hagridfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 21, 2008
    Aurora Colorado
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    None
    If you don't tell them what you want, they don't know what you want. Never a problem talking with Sarah or her people, and asking for something a little special, or different.

Upvote 0