lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
I got invited by a friend to fish on a guy's modified diesel Skipjack 25. Left SI at 0300 and got two scoops of very lively horsies. Pointed south and cleared the Pt at 0345.
IMG_20210605_041057506~2.jpg

Cruised in lake conditions and got close to the zone and spotted our first paddy at 0700. We Flylined baits and started getting picked up by Yellows. Two casualties right off the bat. Retied and back at it. One hits the deck.. nice size. We worked that paddy for a good hour and a half and pulled 8 good sized Yellows off it. The bite died and we pushed on to the ominous fleet off in the horizon hoping to find a school before we got there. Cool feature on my phone is it will show me coordinates and a map when I take a pic. Coordinates are a little different than what we're used to. I'll have to figure out how to convert. Maybe everyone's phone does this and I'm tech challenged? For instance first paddy location 31.904 and 117.091
Screenshot_20210606-180825.png

IMG_20210605_065458378~3.jpg

IMG_20210605_084537650.jpg

The fleet was in all directions and consisted of pretty much all the familiar names. Royal Polaris, Excel, Islander, Sea Adventure 80, Aztec, Excalibur, Legend, T-bird, O95, Pride, on and on plus the multitude of privates. Everyone pretty much on the move looking for schools. Most boat weren't hanging any fish some had may one hanging. Plunker bite all around with most on the hunt. Not much surface signs for us until Mid-day I spotted some birds working and a few crashers in the binos. Got to the area and then the Aztec pulled up and threw some bait. Fish started to respond but not in a big way and scattered. Long soak dines away from the boat for our only hookup.. 25# Bluefin.
IMG_20210605_132155110~2.jpg

We drifted real close to the Aztec during the excitement. Not my boat and my buddy on the bow asked the skipper to move. Aztec asked too. Everyone was cordial. Skip moved and our Bluefin frustrations continued as we marked them under the boat and crashers were around in all directions but very sporadic. Had a 60# sinker rig out but didn't get touched. Looked to be a mixed school. Didn't see anyone else bit around us as some privates moved in. Bite died and we moved in search of another school. Never did find another school and pointed north around 3. Found a few paddies on the way out of town but they were empty. The general area was about 60 miles south of SI and 30 miles off Ensenada.
Screenshot_20210606-175520.png

IMG_20210605_112447025~3.jpg

IMG_20210605_153926246~2.jpg

Stopped outside the bay a cleaned fish. Got to the launch ramp and the Skipper's battery was dead in his truck. Took a bit but got it squared away. Weather was perfect. Wind came up a little in the afternoon but could still spot paddies. Long day, long run but it was a good fishing trip.

IMG_20210605_190047456.jpg

Last edited:
Caseydmaze
Caseydmaze
Looks like that cutting board would work better turned around sonit drains off the side instead of into the bait tank. Those are cool setups!!

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
The screen shots are a great idea. Thanks for reporting

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
It looks like your phone is giving degrees and to the right of the decimal thousands of degrees. To convert the thousandths part, multiply by 60 to get the number of minutes. So 30.904 becomes 30 degrees 54.24 minutes. If you like you can convert the .24 minutes to seconds by multiplying by 60 again, so that becomes 14.40 seconds. The good thing about leaving the minutes part in decimal form is a minute of longitude is exactly 1 nautical mile, so .24 minutes is just under a quarter mile. The conversion for lattitude is a little more complex as the distance between minutes of latitude depends on how far from the equator you are -- at hte equator it is still 1 nm, but at the north pole it is a foot step. Whatever the lattitude, multiply by the cosine of the lattitude. Conveniently, the cosine of 30 degrees (basically, southern california for mental math) is one half of the square root of 2, or .707 nm per degree of lattitude.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT REPORT AND PICS...and got some fish...Nice day. LOL
    Looks like a lake down south compared to up here. TC

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I got invited by a friend to fish on a guy's modified diesel Skipjack 25. Left SI at 0300 and got two scoops of very lively horsies. Pointed south and cleared the Pt at 0345.
    View attachment 1287302
    Cruised in lake conditions and got close to the zone and spotted our first paddy at 0700. We Flylined baits and started getting picked up by Yellows. Two casualties right off the bat. Retied and back at it. One hits the deck.. nice size. We worked that paddy for a good hour and a half and pulled 8 good sized Yellows off it. The bite died and we pushed on to the ominous fleet off in the horizon hoping to find a school before we got there. Cool feature on my phone is it will show me coordinates and a map when I take a pic. Coordinates are a little different than what we're used to. I'll have to figure out how to convert. Maybe everyone's phone does this and I'm tech challenged? For instance first paddy location 31.904 and 117.091
    View attachment 1287309
    View attachment 1287303
    View attachment 1287304

The fleet was in all directions and consisted of pretty much all the familiar names. Royal Polaris, Excel, Islander, Sea Adventure 80, Aztec, Excalibur, Legend, T-bird, O95, Pride, on and on plus the multitude of privates. Everyone pretty much on the move looking for schools. Most boat weren't hanging any fish some had may one hanging. Plunker bite all around with most on the hunt. Not much surface signs for us until Mid-day I spotted some birds working and a few crashers in the binos. Got to the area and then the Aztec pulled up and threw some bait. Fish started to respond but not in a big way and scattered. Long soak dines away from the boat for our only hookup.. 25# Bluefin.
    View attachment 1287308
    We drifted real close to the Aztec during the excitement. Not my boat and my buddy on the bow asked the skipper to move. Aztec asked too. Everyone was cordial. Skip moved and our Bluefin frustrations continued as we marked them under the boat and crashers were around in all directions but very sporadic. Had a 60# sinker rig out but didn't get touched. Looked to be a mixed school. Didn't see anyone else bit around us as some privates moved in. Bite died and we moved in search of another school. Never did find another school and pointed north around 3. Found a few paddies on the way out of town but they were empty. The general area was about 60 miles south of SI and 30 miles off Ensenada.
    View attachment 1287314
    View attachment 1287316
    View attachment 1287317

Stopped outside the bay a cleaned fish. Got to the launch ramp and the Skipper's battery was dead in his truck. Took a bit but got it squared away. Weather was perfect. Wind came up a little in the afternoon but could still spot paddies. Long day, long run but it was a good fishing trip.

View attachment 1287315
    👌

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    That's a super nice paddy yellow.

Seeing that cutting board reminds me when my friend had one. He had just put a 20 pound seabass on it when a swell hit and the fish slid off and went in the drink.... Ouch!

Reactions: lougio and dsl
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Seeing that cutting board reminds me when my friend had one.
    Got in from an openload trip, deckie pulls out a scrungie peice of plywood with old stuff stuck to it, gave him the tip, and took the Halibut home, and wacked em at home.

Reactions: lougio
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    That's a super nice paddy yellow.

Seeing that cutting board reminds me when my friend had one. He had just put a 20 pound seabass on it when a swell hit and the fish slid off and went in the drink.... Ouch!
    Reminds me, a dude on a party boat caught a huge salmon, proubly high 30's, was showing it off as he was stepping out of the boat, and droped it between the boat and the dock, the fur bags at the dock, loved his boasting!

Sdchronix

Kook Style
    Jul 26, 2018
    San diego
    Name
    Anthony C.
    Boat
    Hooked Up Boat Club - Parker 2320
    We had marks but didn't see any surface activity and no bites. Nice size yellows on paddys though.

Reactions: lougio
    Upvote 0

lougio

Capt Lou
    Jul 19, 2014
    La Mesa, CA
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    View attachment 1287302
    View attachment 1287309
    View attachment 1287303
    View attachment 1287304

View attachment 1287308
    View attachment 1287314
    View attachment 1287316
    View attachment 1287317

View attachment 1287315
    Cutting board is tilted down from the bait tank.

Upvote 0