"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
"007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
FATHER-SON 150+ AHI.jpg
Well I'll start by saying I was blessed this weekend with some lifetime fishing with my 2 boys. THE BOYS.jpg

LITTLE MAN-BIG FISH.jpgToday my youngest Sean (8) got his turn in the chair with a little help from his dad and alot of help, patenience, and skill from the Foxy Lady crew( Capt Dave and Jerrod). We headed out looking for the current line 20+ miles out of haliewa. Not much happening then Dave spots some birds and jerrod drops back the bait and dead bait teaser, eagle eye Dave spots 2 nice 20+ Mahi and Jerrod works hard but they wouldn't eat. I now want a tower on my next boat as the view and situational awarenes was great. Nothing so we continue to head out. Another small group of birds and more mahi Dave and Jerrod working hard but still no takers. We are 25+ out still searching guys excited but wanting to put a bend in the rod when BAAAAMMM right rigger goes and the 130 is screaming My son and I get in the chair and the fight is on. I can't get in the harness with Sean sitting in my lap but with Jerrod and my friend Mike helping out we were able to overcome the obstacles associated with an 8 year old in the lap, 1 broken arm and no harness. A liitle over an hour later Jerrod sinks the gaff and Dave comes down to help bring the big 150lb toad into the boat. My son's and my first ever Ahi (Awesome) My son is smoked but grinning and wants to use my phone to call his older brother and rub it in. Put lures back out and Dave immediatley spots a single mahi swimming jerrod gets busy with the bait and is throwing cut bait to get the mahi to stick around. I finlly get a look at the fish and its big. The hogs swims right by the live opelu and inhales a chunk bait that jerrod put a hook in (Game on) Gonzo is in the chair fighting his a$$ off while the rest of us are asking why he is struggling with getting it in. We all find out when (she) comes next to the boat biggest cow I have ever seen. Jerrod does an awesome job with the leader and gaff shot this 5+ footer wasn't easy getting over the rail and the gaff was twisting the man made a great save and the fish hits the deck. It starts freaking out and jerrod is working to get her under control then out of nowhere Mike hits the deck and trys wrestling this beast and whacking it with the club ( this technique is not recommended or endorsed by any sane individual) Jerrod gets Wild Mike clear and pops her into the box. The cow scaled out at 57!!!!!lbs. Everyone happy we start heading back and pickup a nice ono outside the ledge. Hats off to the crew who stayed out longer and worked hard to get us on the fish. Its never over until the fat lady sings, we fished 6+ hours nothing then baamm a toad and huge cow topped off with a nice ono. My daughter now wants in on this action, doesn't get better than having your children share your passion for fishing. Dave, Jerrod, Mike, Pete, Gonzo thanks again (great day)

Last edited by a moderator:

navyaircrew

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 27, 2007
Trollin' Dirty 96744
Name
Scott
Boat
2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
good going... nice to hear about a crew that'll ensure you have a great day fishing... it's all about the fun... congrats!

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
I thought this one deserved Front Page Billing...:D :D Awesome day on the water!!!

mongo75

Jun 6, 2007
Rancho Santa Margarita
Name
Danny
Boat
25' 1968 Luhrs
Man what a great day! One more fisherman hooked for life LOL! Can't wait to bring my boy out one day.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Joe and team,
What a great couple of days; the way you keep the family in the game you might have a boat (with the tower) waiting for you when you get back home. Good on ya and the crew of the Foxy Lady.

Cheers
Pat

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
so to get those cows to the boat ya gotta have a broken arm SHEEZZZ NICE JOB!!

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
very nice indeed!

seabass1968

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 25, 2009
riverside
Name
kelly
Boat
18 ft cc wellcraft
Wow way to go guys just think what can he get with 2 good arm's lol well that was great and i know now hez hooked God bless and keep up the good work

captdon1

Jun 4, 2009
kaneohe, hi.
Name
don
Boat
33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
"more ahi in da box" good going nice fish ,good family time well spent!

aloha captdon

mboswell

Mike & Katy
Jul 24, 2006
San Diego
Name
Mike and Katy Boswell
Boat
Parker 2320SL, "KATY B"
That is a great report and great pictures, too. Makes me very nostalgic for the good old days, and it's good to know there are still some fish left in Hawaii.

Did you eat some of the Ono?

MAD2NA

Nov 26, 2007
Long Beach
Name
Adam
Boat
2007 22' triumph center console
Awesome day fishing , Epic ! congrats to you and the boys !!!