JoshInSD

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
Having been to Japan 15+ times over the years I have never fished before out here. So I decided this was the time! After doing some research and narrowing down the choices I was able to organize a half day (5am to 12pm) trip targeting Hiramasa (Yellowtail) out of Ohara Port, Chiba, Japan on the Yamashomaru: https://m.facebook.com/yamashomaru/ Owner/captain Toru-San and his wife are so gracious and world class anglers, so this was going to be a real honor to spend time with them. They are pioneers for Yellowtail (AKA Hiramasa, Kingfish, Hamachi) fishing in Japan.

Since the boat departure time was so early and trains stop shortly after midnight, and being that Tokyo is 2+ hours away from the port, boat owners Toru-San and his wife Hana invited me to come stay at their home the night before. Turns out they have a great studio out back which is next to their fishing storage "room." It's really more like a store, as they are both world renowned for their Kingfish/Hiramasa fishing and are sponsored by Shimano. The photos below are of their personal equipment! I was like a kid in a candy store except I couldn't eat anything. There is also a photo of the world record Kingfish (Yellowtail) which is over 100 pounds. The thing is huge!! Hana also has the women's Japan record for largest Kingfish, over 50 pounds (http://ameblo.jp/yamashomaru/entry-12283294662.html). They are both so in love with catching Kingfish it takes them around the world. They're in some magazines as well (see below). The rest of my story is in photos below.

IMG_0137.JPG IMG_0138.JPG
Boat brochure IMG_0139.JPG
Lifesize, its huge! Video of the catch of this monster! IMG_0140.JPG
This is the "smaller" oneIMG_0141.JPG IMG_0144.JPG
Personal collection
IMG_0145.JPG
Stella's everywhere IMG_0148.JPG
The guest house IMG_0166.JPG
The Yamashomaru. Unlike San Diego boats, this one is all lure, no live bait. Also you get an assigned space to fish from and don't move around Toru-San was kind enough to give me the starboard stern Corner to maneuver IMG_0171.JPG
The men's room is a urinal behind a door IMG_0178.JPG
Captain and owner IMG_0179.JPG
Captain is a big advocate of catch and release, especially during spawning season. No gaffs in this boat all nets. He did let me keep my 22 pounder though!!IMG_0181.JPG IMG_0186.JPG
A small one to start first stop, first fish on the boat.IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0191.JPGHana weighing my bigger one IMG_0195.JPG
Sure. You can hold my fish!IMG_0199.JPG
Cutting the gill arch between the 2nd and 3rd plateIMG_0201.JPG
Fully bleeding before spiking and Ike-jime

IMG_0211.JPG IMG_0217.JPG
She's quite the angler as well IMG_0222.JPG IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0244.JPG
All spinning rods and lots of Stella's IMG_0251.JPG IMG_0261.JPG
Packed for the 2 hour train ride home IMG_0256.JPG
Dropped off at friend's restaurant so we can eat in a day or two. IMG_0206.JPG
Don't go inside the cabin if you're sick IMG_0247.JPG New Zealand. Toru and Hana
IMG_0157.JPG IMG_0159.JPG IMG_7791.JPG IMG_7792.JPG IMG_7796.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG IMG_0173.JPG
Pencils were the hot ticket.
IMG_0207.JPG
Everyone brings their own depth finder for vertical jigging IMG_0232.PNG IMG_0243.JPG
Step off the boat and the wash is right there along with the parking area super convenient IMG_0267.JPG
Night before dinner with captain and Hana

Last edited:

watersdeep

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
You pretty much covered it. looks like fun. very cool.

Reactions: JoshInSD

JoshInSD

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
That is awesome. Can you speak Japanese? Language barrier have any impact with the other anglers?
I can speak some Japanese. Owner/captain and wife speak a little English. No issue with other anglers as everyone has an assigned space. Communication on a boat is as simple as pointing and making inquisitive faces!!

momaguro

Sep 23, 2011
Pacific Beach
Name
David
Boat
Pequod
Josh

Thanks for sharing what looks like a great time experiencing a whole new way to enjoy fishing. Whatever their endeavor is the Japanese usually devote their full attention to the details which clearly comes through in your story and pictures. Most importantly the emphasis is on the value of close relationships which the overnight stay at their house in a tatami room reveals and all the way to the end where the clean up and maintenance is performed.

I have lived and traveled extensively throughout in Japan but never seriously considered to go ocean fishing there but your story sharing is great inspiration to go for it next chance.

Did you use the depth finder and how does it work? What fishing technique or tackle do you want to try at home?

David

Reactions: Retired1

JoshInSD

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Josh

Thanks for sharing what looks like a great time experiencing a whole new way to enjoy fishing. Whatever their endeavor is the Japanese usually devote their full attention to the details which clearly comes through in your story and pictures. Most importantly the emphasis is on the value of close relationships which the overnight stay at their house in a tatami room reveals and all the way to the end where the clean up and maintenance is performed.

I have lived and traveled extensively throughout in Japan but never seriously considered to go ocean fishing there but your story sharing is great inspiration to go for it next chance.

Did you use the depth finder and how does it work? What fishing technique or tackle do you want to try at home?

David
David you are right on all counts.

The depth finder was for the vertical jigging. They use it just to know the depth so when they drop their jigs they count off and try to avoid hitting bottom. I'm not practiced in that so I just waited to hit bottom and started there, hoping to avoid snags!

Learning how to bomb underhand casts was pretty cool, tossing a pencil and being taught by them their style of retrieve. I'm looking forward to trying that back at home. I bought a bunch of pencils and other topwater lures to experiment with in SD and N. Mexico.

Tifoso

Chinook,lings,bottom fish. And everything else.
Jul 25, 2016
norCal (central valley)
Name
Lou
Boat
yes
Outstanding report, Josh. Very cool.
You basically lived the Japanese version of my dream Italia trip. Attaboy!:cheers:

medicidela

Feb 5, 2015
Name
Medy
Boat
Party Boats
This story is like a dream come true!

What can be better than good fishing, most probably in clean water, with a good caring personable crew/family. For many people, this would be the trip of a lifetime!!

Happy for you Josh, and thanks a million for sharing!

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
A wonderful trip and a wonderful read, thank you.

Interesting that they left a little blood meat on the yellowtail sashimi--no doubt it was deliberate--any idea why?

JoshInSD

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
A wonderful trip and a wonderful read, thank you.

Interesting that they left a little blood meat on the yellowtail sashimi--no doubt it was deliberate--any idea why?
Yes I noticed that and asked myself that night but did not get a clear answer, but it is certainly deliberate. Perhaps it adds a little flavor or texture, I'm not certain, perhaps somebody else can chime in

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
Yes I noticed that and asked myself that night but did not get a clear answer, but it is certainly deliberate. Perhaps it adds a little flavor or texture, I'm not certain, perhaps somebody else can chime in

Josh the taste in farm yellowtail and wild yellowtail is different. As farm yellow is usually in the 9-11lb range when it is harvested and is fed with feed that fatten them up. Wild yellowtail will have some discoloration due to it being a muscular fish that has to chance there own food. Usually all yellowtail will have some or blood line left in it and it doesn't really change the taset at all. Here is something that might be able to inform you

https://shizuokagourmet.com/japanese-seasonal-fish-buriyellowtail/

JoshInSD

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Josh the taste in farm yellowtail and wild yellowtail is different. As farm yellow is usually in the 9-11lb range when it is harvested and is fed with feed that fatten them up. Wild yellowtail will have some discoloration due to it being a muscular fish that has to chance there own food. Usually all yellowtail will have some or blood line left in it and it doesn't really change the taset at all. Here is something that might be able to inform you

https://shizuokagourmet.com/japanese-seasonal-fish-buriyellowtail/
Interesting, thanks for the link.

I also found this about retaining some bloodlines.

"Some species, especially oily fish, have a strip of dark, blood-rich muscle running down the centre of the fillet; it is edible, but has a stronger taste than the paler flesh. Some people enjoy the stronger, fishy flavour and are happy to eat it, others prefer to remove it for visual or taste reasons. Cutting it out is also a quick and easy way to remove the pinbones that run down the centre of most fillets. The bloodline is a good indicator of freshness, it’s bright pink-red in very fresh fish, becoming duller and turning brown as the fish deteriorates. For this reason it is sometimes left on sashimi-grade fish to show freshness, however eating it raw is an acquired taste, so many people choose to remove it if serving fish raw or rare. The choice is yours."

Considering how throughly this fish was bled, perhaps keeping some of the the bloodline is more visual than anything, as suggested above, especially considering nearly all of the blood was already removed (see videos above)

Reactions: Retired1 and Brad I

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
shes cute! :)

Excellent report, Josh. :appl:
nice job.

jim isbell

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Having been to Japan 15+ times over the years I have never fished before out here. So I decided this was the time! After doing some research and narrowing down the choices I was able to organize a half day (5am to 12pm) trip targeting Hiramasa (Yellowtail) out of Ohara Port, Chiba, Japan on the Yamashonaru: https://m.facebook.com/yamashomaru/ Owner/captain Toru-San and his wife are so gracious and world class anglers, so this was going to be a real honor to spend time with them. They are pioneers for Yellowtail (AKA Hiramasa, Kingfish, Hamachi) fishing in Japan.

Since the boat departure time was so early and trains stop shortly after midnight, and being that Tokyo is 2+ hours away from the port, boat owners Toru-San and his wife Hana invited me to come stay at their home the night before. Turns out they have a great studio out back which is next to their fishing storage "room." It's really more like a store, as they are both world renowned for their Kingfish/Hiramasa fishing and are sponsored by Shimano. The photos below are of their personal equipment! I was like a kid in a candy store except I couldn't eat anything. There is also a photo of the world record Kingfish (Yellowtail) which is over 100 pounds. The thing is huge!! Hana also has the women's Japan record for largest Kingfish, over 50 pounds (http://ameblo.jp/yamashomaru/entry-12283294662.html). They are both so in love with catching Kingfish it takes them around the world. They're in some magazines as well (see below). The rest of my story is in photos below.

View attachment 843900 View attachment 843901
Boat brochure View attachment 843902
Lifesize, its huge! Video of the catch of this monster! View attachment 843903
This is the "smaller" oneView attachment 843904 View attachment 843905
Personal collection
View attachment 843906
Stella's everywhere View attachment 843907
The guest house View attachment 843908
The Yamashomaru. Unlike San Diego boats, this one is all lure, no live bait. Also you get an assigned space to fish from and don't move around Toru-San was kind enough to give me the starboard stern Corner to maneuver View attachment 843909
The men's room is a urinal behind a door View attachment 843910
Captain and owner View attachment 843911
Captain is a big advocate of catch and release, especially during spawning season. No gaffs in this boat all nets. He did let me keep my 22 pounder though!!View attachment 843912 View attachment 843913
A small one to start first stop, first fish on the boat.View attachment 843914 View attachment 843915Hana weighing my bigger one View attachment 843916
Sure. You can hold my fish!View attachment 843917
Cutting the gill arch between the 2nd and 3rd plateView attachment 843918
Fully bleeding before spiking and Ike-jime

View attachment 843920 View attachment 843921
She's quite the angler as well View attachment 843922 View attachment 843923 View attachment 843924
All spinning rods and lots of Stella's View attachment 843926 View attachment 843927
Packed for the 2 hour train ride home View attachment 843928
Dropped off at friend's restaurant so we can eat in a day or two. View attachment 843919
Don't go inside the cabin if you're sick View attachment 843925 New Zealand. Toru and Hana
View attachment 843932 View attachment 843933 View attachment 843953 View attachment 843954 View attachment 843955

View attachment 843931 View attachment 844133
Pencils were the hot ticket.
View attachment 844134
Everyone brings their own depth finder for vertical jigging View attachment 844135 View attachment 844136
Step off the boat and the wash is right there along with the parking area super convenient View attachment 844137
Night before dinner with captain and Hana
Can you show the Kangi's that mean "big ass Yellow Tail"?

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Good lord! I can only imagine what that yellowtail would have fought like! 20#'ers kick my ass!

RockyGizmo

Mar 15, 2017
Goleta, CA
Name
Alexei
Boat
Cattle Boats from all over California
Wow. What Fun! Been to Japan many times on business, but never fished. My wife loves Tokyo and always wants to come along. Telling her I need an extra day to go yellowtail fishing will probably not be too hard of a sell after I show her your great fish report and pictures... Love it. Thanks for sharing.

JoshInSD

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Wow. What Fun! Been to Japan many times on business, but never fished. My wife loves Tokyo and always wants to come along. Telling her I need an extra day to go yellowtail fishing will probably not be too hard of a sell after I show her your great fish report and pictures... Love it. Thanks for sharing.
You should definitely try and get out there with Toru and Hana. As you saw above even a half day on the water trip was a wonderful experience.

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
One of the best reports I have ever seen on BD. Thanks for taking the time and posting such an in depth report with great pictures and video.