Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
The docks at my mooring at Half Moon Marina (Humphreys) are being replaced. It will be closed for a couple of weeks. That's not to keep a fisherman like me at bay. So I decided to fish the pier at SI just across the road from Humphreys for the first time in eons. I figured to make macs for bait and toss them out to see if I could snag a large halibut or another creature capable of swallowing my bait. I made a batch of my Hawaiian chum and took along a couple of fishing poles, one for bait and a 30# halibut rig. I set up amongst a bunch of seasoned and sun burnt locals and I'm sure a few homeless as well. They were charming characters in their talk and helpfulness amongst themselves and even to this old stranger, me. After I broke my small telescopic bait pole trying to get it unsnagged on the bottom, one of the locals offered his pole for me to use. I was touched by his act of charity and kindness to this ole fart that he knew not. I thanked him but declined cuz I still had enough rod left on that broken telescopic pole to just drop down and catch all the macs I need.

I'd catch a mac after minutes of chumming and put it on my bigger pole, tossing it out a bit to get away from my adjacent fellow fishermen. One guy next to me caught a small bonito on a top lure while another caught a lizard fish on the bottom which he offered to me for bait. That's all I saw caught other than macs. Most of the 30+ fishermen and women on the pier were saving the macs I'm sure for dinner for their families or bait for lobster hoop netting. They all appeared to be conscientious fishermen and went about their business in a serious manner. They respected the others around them and kept the pier neat and tidy. After about 2 hours I called it a day without ever getting a bite on the macs I fished with. I gave the rest of my Hawaiian formula chum to a handicapped guy next to me having a difficult time catching macs on just a unbaited ganglion. I showed him how to put little pieces of squid I had left on each hook, toss in some chum, and wait for the macs to swirl in mass around his setup. He thanked me with a smile on his face as he started filling his bucket with macs. It was a beautiful day on the water that day.

I went home skunked but with a glow in my heart for the fishermen at SI Pier.

"I shall return."
HH

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YellowFever858

Got Color?
Sep 8, 2008
San Diego/LA
Name
The Birdnest Whisperer
Boat
soon...
I frequent that spot and the regulars/locals are awesome! The guy i always see there is always in a full jumpsuit - that guy knows the area very well, and is always willing to help a newbie out. Occasionally you do see some transients but i have never had an issue there - and ive pulled all nighters there to know

Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
Ya, I saw a few light sticks laying around I'm guessing from hoop netting for lobster at night. How have you done there at night for lobster? I'm assuming you need a lobster card.

I stopped hoop netting at night a few years ago with my boat cuz of mess, can't see good at night, harassment from the CAFG officers who assume you are guilty of something, etc. Hoop netting there seems like it could be fun since when you had enough you just hop in your car and go home instead of the hours it takes from a boat. And you can catch your bait there, live, bloody and fresh. Therefore, its in my cards for next year.

Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0

Fish Fetish

Mar 19, 2008
Ramona / Tijuana
Name
Bob Lyman
Boat
22' Trophy / 34' silverton conv.
We used to fish on the end of the Santa Monica pier back in the 70's and had a blast . Are you willing to share your Hawaiian chum recipe??

Thanks
Bob

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
What a great report! I felt like I was fishing the pier.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Very good read indeed!

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Nice for you sharing your special chum reciepe and showing the less fortunate catch some.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    Been a long time since I fished a pier; with my HS sporto friends that never caught a fish in their lives. WFO Bonito at H.B. pier. I ran around baiting hooks and releasing as fast as I could run. We all had such a great time, especially me, they were in my world doing what I know and sharing the experience.

Your account of people on the pier touched my soul; some being less fortunate yet willing to give you their fishing pole so you can fish, offering their catch that may have been for their dinner, and respecting the public areas by keeping the areas tidy and cleanly. Some homeless and some handicapped folks in the mix. I took me back to my roots. I used to share entire days with my buddy when I was in 4th grade at the pier. We would bike ride from our house in Fountain Valley at 4 am to get to the pier by daybreak, loaded up with fishing poles, bike tire rims lined with gunny sack for a crab hoop and a grappling hook for mussels needed for bait. Those less fortunate were there then, always willing to give all they had to help out a couple of kids and likewise from us towards them.

Kind of makes you wonder about all the selfishness when you get out in the wide blue "O". I rarely feel the love amongst many of the privileged and blessed when out at sea. On occasion I do meet some really nice people that renew my hope.

Your post opened my eyes to what maters most. Sharing what you love with others.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
    May 22, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Halibut Howie
    Boat
    We used to fish on the end of the Santa Monica pier back in the 70's and had a blast . Are you willing to share your Hawaiian chum recipe??

Thanks
    Bob
    OK Bob this is just between us. Keep it a secret.

While in Hilo about a year ago working, one of the fisherman at the FAA's Hilo control tower said he used jack macs for chum bait. So I went to a local market by my rental house on a lava cliff (15') off the ocean. 10' waves broke routinely on the natural seawall. I asked a kid working there if he had jack macs in a can. He seemed astonished that a hoale would be looking for such an item and asked me why I wanted jack macs. I said for chum to catch fish from my rental house in the town of Paradise Park. It turned out he was an avid fisherman as well and preceded to tell me his recipe for chumming up the fish in the area. The measurements are a little of this and that but with a little practice you can fine tune the chum to where you are fishing. I used it off the cliff with large waves from a distant hurricane splashing up above the vertical lava cliff feet from my back porch area so I needed a chum I could toss at least 20'. https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p734418vb.

I would throw out a ball of his chum recipe over where the waves were breaking while using a weighted bobber and a small telescopic rod and reel I bought at a local store. About 20-30'. Within minutes I had trigger fish and yellow-tailed snapper I believe, and soon after that small turtles attacking small pieces of shrimp on my setup. I only caught the trigger fish in many colors. The chum dispensed and sank very slowly in the blue waters and foam of the violet ocean. Within 30 minutes I had enough fish for dinner for me and my working companions. For some reason they liked partying at my place instead of their rundown hotels in Hilo.

Hawaiian Chum recipe

1. In a large bowl put a in can or two of macs (Asian store) . Drain each can 1st for you do not want all that liquid in it. I use macs in oil but I'm sure the water ones will also work just fine.

2. Squish the mac chunks with your hand to break them up to the consistency of tuna fish. Add about a 1/4 cup of vegetable oil while squishing the macs. Then add about a 1/4 cup of oatmeal, any kind, but I bought a big cartoon of fast oatmeal. Keep squishing and adding a little more oil until you can not make a ball with it that holds together.

3. Then add flour, a tbs at a time, to the mixture while continually squishing it between your fingers. Add flour until you can make a golf ball sized ball with it that you know you can throw 20' or more.

4. Put your chum in a gallon ziplock and let it rest awhile while absorbing the ingredients. I even freeze the leftovers for another day. It will slowly dispense, with the small ball or piece breaking apart with runners of oatmeal streaming down. If there are macs in the area you will see them darting back and forth within the breaking up ball of chum. I use just a 2-hook ganglion with a 1oz silver Kastmaster lure on the bottom for weight cuz catching 4-6 macs at a time is hard for me to handle.
    HH

Last edited:
    Upvote 0