Fishing the rail 101

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Shimano Penn, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Recently I had two rods built at M&M, a UC 76 Centaur and a 76 Viper. My intention is to use the Centaur for 80 and the Viper for 100. I have never fished a "rail rod" before and never really paid any attention to anyone using one. I have watched a few you tube videos, that's it. My concern is that at 6'-2" that rail is waaaaay down there for me, I have seen guys fishing on one knee in the videos. I have also seen some with the rod butt between thier legs but I think I'd want to be wearing a cup for that, right? :eek: Anyway I'm sure I will get plenty of advice/ training on the water but I'd like to be as prepared as possible so if anyone knows of any good videos or tutorials on using the rail please refer me to them. As always, thanks in advance for your input.

2. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    I recently saw a pic of a guy here who landed three BFT and in the pic him and another guy were sitting on the deck in the bow with their poles on the rail and feet on the wall under the rail. Crazy looking pic, but whatever it takes to land them.

3. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving

When the fish are out and up, you are pretty much stuck like that to get a good bend on them (Unless you want to stand and pull while they are taking drag which is a waste of the energy you will need once they get somewhere closer to the up and down game).

I’m tall as well at 6’4” and I find it most comfortable staying mostly upright and using only the outer edge of the rail as my fulcrum point. Front foot close to the rail, back foot away for leverage and balance. If seas are up or you need another point of contact, you can use your knee against the hull below the rail. When I lean on it, the rod butt never makes it parallel to the water before I get my cranks in and repeat the process. Bottom of the pull would depend on how much line you can get with a single crank because that’s about all I drop the rod tip. Efficiency is key, as well as keeping him pointed up. Which armpit the butt of the rod is under is just preference. Some like it one way some don’t. The one that feels right for you is best.

Long winded as usual, but hopefully this helps. Best of luck out there.

Kevin

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  4. 7raptor

7raptor happy to be here

Name:
    yup
    Boat:
    A Big One
    Move around a lot. Everything works when it’s comfortable. And if the rod is “between your legs” it’s actually under your leg between your ass and hamstring, unless you like being tickled...

5. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I wear a McDavid 6440 kneepad on my right knee all of the time when offshore. I can drop to my right knee to use the rail easily without any hurt to the kneecap, and tuck the rod butt under my left armpit. That tactic takes 90% of the effort out of fighting the fish, which is the exact amount that an old fart like me needs to go hard on a big fish.

On my older rods without long foregrips, I unclip the hand towel that I wear on my left side and use it on the rail to protect the rod. And on heavy spinning gear, I have been known to put the rod sideways with the reel handle up from time to time. You do whatever it takes to fight the fish.

freegaff2 likes this.
  6. joezee1986

joezee1986 Baja Bound Salt Junkies

Name:
    Joseph Zaragoza
    Boat:
    Last Cast Ensenada / Mag Bay Lodge
    He’s from hillcrest you missed the one of that dude braiding his hair prior.