Fishing the outer islands and banks out of Oxnard or thereabouts

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
Long Beach, Ca.
Name
Don Burnett
Boat
N/A
Anyone ever fished for the larger rockfish, Lingcod, halibut in the areas around the outer Channel Islands ? If so what’s your favorite rig for catching the lingcod and larger rockfish ? Large 16 oz lead heads with a big white trailer ?
I e got plenty of iron that will get down 200 ft++ …
Opinions ?

Upvote 0

Kevin Helfend

Aug 15, 2012
Saugus Ca.
Name
Kevin Helfend
Boat
none
For big lings I like to fish a single dropper loop with a big live mackerel with a clipped tail. It is money!

Reactions: esgeo
LR Houdini
LR Houdini
I’ve never fished a live mackerel for lingcod… the clipped tail sounds like a great idea… I’ve caught several lingcod in Mexican waters… the smaller 5 pounders…I used a 4-8 oz lead head with two mackerel fillets pinned … two jackpots !
Great idea fishing a live mackerel thanks…
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat
Parker 2310
Yeah live mackerel is like candy for lings. Be sure to add a stinger hook.

LR Houdini
LR Houdini
Like use a 16 oz lead head and drop a 5/0-6/0 treble hook in the mackerels caboose?
I’ve bobby-trapped a few halibut-skis over the years…
Thanks … any tips are welcome …
Reactions: JamesZ
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

ExBacklasher

Old guy
  • Oct 17, 2012
    Agoura Hills
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    Any one that I can hop on
    Slab a rockfish, automatic with Lings.

LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    Works for me 🤫used to fish the Cortez Bank 1970-80’s … I’d pin 2 mackerel fillets
    White fish worked as well pinned to a 2 oz
    Jig. Sometimes brown baits pinned thru btm jaws … I’ve put several “Goats”
    In the boat largest was a 12lb++ …
    I remember that Sheepshead had a small lobster 🦞 coming out it’s A-hole …
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Utterly Wet

Missy's Bitch
    Jul 7, 2017
    Pasadena
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Parker 2310
    If you don't mind working a bit in the deeper water at Rosa and Miguel. Jig stick, 10-14 oz Ahi assault in glow (change treble to single hook, it's easier to remove from rocks), small hoochie or shrimp fly dropper looped 2'-3' above jig (I like hoochie cause I can get in glow) and a swivel 6" or so above fly or hoochie. Let it hit bottom and sweep upwards, repeat. Stay in free spool so you can let out line if needed to hit bottom again. Looks like a fish going after a bait fish (lings don't like others feeding in their territory). If fish can be seen actively feeding on the screen hit bottom then come up 10'-30' off bottom and jig the same way without going to the bottom. The bigger reds, chuckle heads, etc. will be feeding higher in the water column while the smaller ones stay low and protected. I like using baby octopus strips to tip my hooks. Tough as leather so white fish and smaller rock fish can't strip it when you're 300' down. Also make strips out of the smaller rock fish that won't survive a decent release. Sand dabs, mackerel, sardines, squid, shrimp, etc. will all work when you find them feeding. So you can basically fish the way you're in the mood to fish with what ever bait you have and you will get em. Catch most of our halibut when using dropper loops with squid or dines targeting WSB & YT.

Reactions: LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    That about sums it up from someone who’s been there !
    I may have a couple of old diamond jigs.
    I’ve been soldering on my own rings for years … got oxy/acet and small jewelry torch… plus lots of flat falls.
    What # test do you like to use ?
    Great tip on targeting the larger reds.
    I’ve got glow tape that I’ve been doctoring up my flat falls with…
    Thanks for your excellent advice.
    Upvote 0
    LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    I used to tie my own shrimp flies…
    Think I’ll get some SS long shanked 7/0’s and some pink chenille topped with some silver/orange mylar flash ….
    maybe slide a bubble headed 5” glow squid 🦑 over the shrimp fly … a little strip of bait on the shrimp fly can’tl hurt …
    The trip I have coming ups going to be like stepping out of Doctor Who’s way back machine phone booth !
    Upvote 0
    LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    The wife won’t eat anymore Bluefin tuna.
    I’m sashimi’s out … been smoking the 🐟 in my Traeger … damn if it ain’t really good… yeah I’m looking forward to making a freezer run … ceviche anyone ? 😋
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    So what I"m hearing is lings REALLY like sand dabs (4-6 inch preferred). Do you have a boat? If so, there's a spot off of channel islands, on your maps it should say 'Pilots' . Kinda by the Rig. Right around 80 ft. Can catch as many sand dabs as you want there with dropper loops and squid chunks.
    I've been told north of santa cruz has lots of ling cods.
    I'll be trying for the lings soon enough

LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    Nope no boat… I’ve been retired since 2006… two of my friends had boats, but when they retired they moved out of state.
    I sold my bass boat 7 years ago…
    I fish mostly tuna and wahoo, but ran into someone who talked me into a 3 day fishing the outer Channel Islands.
    You know freezer fish … had enough bluefin.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    Used to fish the back side of Santa Cruz with 10-14 oz of lead, 50 lb leader, 4/0 hook, #2 trapper treble hook on live sardines… worked like a champ….had a 4/0 with 50 lb Dacron……..

LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    I’m getting stuff ready for a November trip… it should be fun … I haven’t dropped big chunks of lead on their heads for some time … it’s going to be a learning curve.
    I’ve caught over a dozen lines in Mexican waters but not large ones … just 5#’s…
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0