Almost A Member
  • Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat Name
    23' sanger alleycat, 24 skipjack open
    Hey guys,
    going out on the O95 this friday and wondering if a 100lb+ set up is really worth renting. Here is what I plan on brining.

20-25lb - Fs800L w/ fathom 15 full of braid and short floro top shot - fly line Small paddy yt, dodo, or tuna
    30lb - Fs800M w/ fathom 15xnld2 full of braid and short foro top shot - fly line
    40lb - UC 9E w/ fathom 25, braid to 150' top shot mono - jig stick double as fly line
    50-60lb - Fs760xh w/ fathom 40ld2, 80lb braid with 10' floro top shot - sinker rig
    80lb - FS760xxh w/ mak 20 sea, 100lb braid with 50' 80lb floro, this set up doubles as for knife jigs and trolling.

I see and hear of a lot of people saying to bring the big guns 100lb+ if the big fish show up, which they have from this last weeks reports... But is it really necessary to have more than an 80lb rig? I have never had a BFT hit bait with a heavier leader than 60lb and even when the big models are round and If they are line shy I change out the leader on my 60lb to as low as 25 and pray the capacity will be my back up. what do you guys think? leave the 20-25lb stick at home and rent? I just cant see a situation where I would need a 100lb+ set up when these fish don't get anywhere near heavy leaders unless its a night bite and in that case they seem to come up easier at night time.

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    none
    FWIW, I fish my MaK 20 as my 100lb set up exclusively, and use my Fathom 40 as my 80lb set up with great success for fish up to 150lbs. I think you have everything you will need!
    I always bring a 25lb set up for anything under 50lbs and for YT.
    As a follow up thought, my last trip these fish were biting 80-100lb line...

Reactions: Tsmithson
    Upvote 0

bob311

Almost A Member
  • Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat Name
    thanks guys i appreciate the feed back i think ill strip the mak and up it to 100lb. trolling and night jigging wont matter especially since the leader is already 200lb. ill just leave everything else the same.

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

MichaelJ

May 21, 2021
    Banning
    Name
    Michael
    Boat Name
    SS Minnow
    thanks guys i appreciate the feed back i think ill strip the mak and up it to 100lb. trolling and night jigging wont matter especially since the leader is already 200lb. ill just leave everything else the same.
    Agree. I have 550 yards of 100# braid and 50 yards of 100# mono on my mak 20 w/ 200# flouro leader on my jig for the night bite

Reactions: Beer-Jig-Repeat
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat Name
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Good feedback above. FWIW on my 3-Day last week I caught a daytime 160# BFT on 80# fluoro with a sinker rig, and a 163# on 100# at night on a jig. Good call removing the 80# topshot on your Mak 20 and replacing it with 100#. Easy to add a short piece of 80# fluoro if you want to fish daytime sinker rig with it. Good luck!

Daytime sinker rig fish:

IntrepidRod160SinkerRig.jpeg

Upvote 0

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Mira Mesa
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    FV Soldandgone
    do not rent! you definitely need to run out and buy brand new rod and reel setup. ask at least 50 ppl for recommendations to make sure you get just the exact right one. the more ppl you ask, the better advice you will get, right? once at the tackle shop, share all those ideas and ask questions for about an hour. eventually go with what the newly hired kid thinks is the latest and greatest based upon what you told him plus his thorough internet research about what's been working best this last month. be sure to spool up the reel with 700 + yds of the most expensive 130 lb braid (i'd go 900 yds, but hey, that's just me) and then tie on a twelve foot 80 lb mono shock leader. any old line sitting around in your garage for 10 yrs will work. if you can, take it off your grandpappy's trolling gear for good luck. tie that to a 300 lb leader, which is tied to the jig. use the stock hooks and rings on the jigs b/c they are engineered to make that jig swim perfectly. the most important step, and this is critical, is to let somebody set the drag by feel. it's really an art to do it correctly, and only the most skilled guy can do it. i'd ask "the guy" on the boat as you are heading out. you'll know who this guy b/c he will have had several beers, be very confident about setting drags by hand, and already told a few stories about big fish verifying his legitimacy. following this protocol will allow you to fight the fish for well over an hour as if you were on 40 lb gear, your old line will mysteriously break, and you can claim that you still need bigger gear, thus allowing you to buy yet another setup.

Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat Name
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Hey guys,
    going out on the O95 this friday and wondering if a 100lb+ set up is really worth renting. Here is what I plan on brining.

20-25lb - Fs800L w/ fathom 15 full of braid and short floro top shot - fly line Small paddy yt, dodo, or tuna
    30lb - Fs800M w/ fathom 15xnld2 full of braid and short foro top shot - fly line
    40lb - UC 9E w/ fathom 25, braid to 150' top shot mono - jig stick double as fly line
    50-60lb - Fs760xh w/ fathom 40ld2, 80lb braid with 10' floro top shot - sinker rig
    80lb - FS760xxh w/ mak 20 sea, 100lb braid with 50' 80lb floro, this set up doubles as for knife jigs and trolling.

I see and hear of a lot of people saying to bring the big guns 100lb+ if the big fish show up, which they have from this last weeks reports... But is it really necessary to have more than an 80lb rig? I have never had a BFT hit bait with a heavier leader than 60lb and even when the big models are round and If they are line shy I change out the leader on my 60lb to as low as 25 and pray the capacity will be my back up. what do you guys think? leave the 20-25lb stick at home and rent? I just cant see a situation where I would need a 100lb+ set up when these fish don't get anywhere near heavy leaders unless its a night bite and in that case they seem to come up easier at night time.
    I think you have what you need , actually.

Upvote 0

bob311

Almost A Member
  • Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat Name
    do not rent! you definitely need to run out and buy brand new rod and reel setup. ask at least 50 ppl for recommendations to make sure you get just the exact right one. the more ppl you ask, the better advice you will get, right? once at the tackle shop, share all those ideas and ask questions for about an hour. eventually go with what the newly hired kid thinks is the latest and greatest based upon what you told him plus his thorough internet research about what's been working best this last month. be sure to spool up the reel with 700 + yds of the most expensive 130 lb braid (i'd go 900 yds, but hey, that's just me) and then tie on a twelve foot 80 lb mono shock leader. any old line sitting around in your garage for 10 yrs will work. if you can, take it off your grandpappy's trolling gear for good luck. tie that to a 300 lb leader, which is tied to the jig. use the stock hooks and rings on the jigs b/c they are engineered to make that jig swim perfectly. the most important step, and this is critical, is to let somebody set the drag by feel. it's really an art to do it correctly, and only the most skilled guy can do it. i'd ask "the guy" on the boat as you are heading out. you'll know who this guy b/c he will have had several beers, be very confident about setting drags by hand, and already told a few stories about big fish verifying his legitimacy. following this protocol will allow you to fight the fish for well over an hour as if you were on 40 lb gear, your old line will mysteriously break, and you can claim that you still need bigger gear, thus allowing you to buy yet another setup.
    LMFAO! Thank you for this

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    I’m going to have to…………….

Strongly Agree with this advice.

It’s the only way for you to get off the fence on getting that new Makaira 50.

• Haha
    Reactions: bdubs73
    Upvote 0