Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay Boat and 1987 Cabo216
First of all I'm not a tuna fisherman. If I stumble across breaking tuna on my way to catch rockfish, I'll give them a try. Like yesterday had rigs with poppers, flatfalls and snipers ready to go if I encountered those elusive fighters. My goal every time out is to catch dinner. Period. Yesterday was no different. After working in Monterey for the past month it was great to fish in sandals, T-shirt and shorts.

I went to the Whistler buoy 3 days ago to check out my boat after the time away. Caught a bunch on small rockfish in no time at all. Good the Whistler is finally warming up to me. Time to take a friend's kids out for a day of fishing.

Well back to yesterday's fishing. I recently down loaded the new 100 Fathom line numbers from (www.fisheries.noaa.gov/ resource/data/depth-based- boundary-lines-west-coast) and looked at the southern-most lat/long in USA waters, Number 322 on the spread sheet. I inserted this WP and the one north of it into GE. The line drawn between these two WPs depict legal waters to fish to 600' if I interpret all the gobbilygunk data correctly. Then I looked for drop-offs from 500' on Goggle Earth in USA waters. My favorite locations looking for rockfish is 500-530' on a fairly steep drop-off. With spot lock on a trolling motor you can hover over that spot and wait for the fish to come to you. With less line scope and dragging hooks across the bottom, makes deep-water fishing more manageable. The pic below shows my south 9mile bank (Mexico) WPs as well as my new WPs within the USA 100 F Line. I'll post the results after I start filleting my catch after the sun comes up.

Lot of boats going out yesterday looking for tuna. Line at the bait barge at 0530 was about 1/2 mile long and growing. We just passed them by.

Last edited:

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Thank you brother for sharing those locations with your BD brothers. Lots of tuna talk... and focus right now makes rockfishing less restrictive and more productive for sure. Thanks again for your post... and your desire to help!!

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    All of that effort, fishing 500+ feet and winching up taco fish. My hats off to you for the focus and intensity you demonstrate.

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    The fishing has been good there! If you wanna try something a little different the Daiwa rock River jigs do really well for rockfish along with the major craft knife jigs. It seems like the rockfish like those better than bait sometime

Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
    May 22, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Halibut Howie
    Boat
    2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay Boat and 1987 Cabo216
    The fishing has been good there! If you wanna try something a little different the Daiwa rock River jigs do really well for rockfish along with the major craft knife jigs. It seems like the rockfish like those better than bait sometime
    Thanks for the tip on rock Rover jigs. I ordered a couple of the red ones to try out on the next trip later this week. I fish all depths around San Diego many times a week. Deepwater rockfishing is a meat run to help friends with some good protein in their recent trying times.

Always looking for the latest info to increase the catch and size of targeted fish. I'm thinking a small mac on the bottom or side hook attachment could be a great way to present the mac to a hungry lingcod. On my way in I fished for small sanddads, caught a few and fished for lings with them around the kelp but for naught.

As for taco meat, I hardly ever use rockfish for tacos. They go well with just about any seafood recipe. Last night we had large rockfish filets, steamed with chili black bean sauce served over udom noddles with braised pork belly.

SoCalEDC

Almost A Member
  • Apr 9, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    AE
    Boat
    Fisha 500
    Thanks for the tip on rock Rover jigs. I ordered a couple of the red ones to try out on the next trip later this week. I fish all depths around San Diego many times a week. Deepwater rockfishing is a meat run to help friends with some good protein in their recent trying times.

Always looking for the latest info to increase the catch and size of targeted fish. I'm thinking a small mac on the bottom or side hook attachment could be a great way to present the mac to a hungry lingcod. On my way in I fished for small sanddads, caught a few and fished for lings with them around the kelp but for naught.

As for taco meat, I hardly ever use rockfish for tacos. They go well with just about any seafood recipe. Last night we had large rockfish filets, steamed with chili black bean sauce served over udom noddles with braised pork belly.
    Good on you dude. Rock fishing is fun. +1 on the rock rovers and Buffalo jigs

Upvote 0