Fishing/Tackle shops close to the Excel.

Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
I'm on a 10 dayer the latter part of Sept. I'm driving out. I'll stay in close proximity to the X. I understand there is a Holiday Inn and Best Western nearby. Is there any close fishing stores where I'll be staying? I know the boat has stuff to buy, but I'm getting there 2 days prior to the boat leaving. I'd like to brouse around a bit. Thanks guys

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
Will you be on foot? I ask as the landings across the street sell tackle, but at a steep price.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Will you be on foot? I ask as the landings across the street sell tackle, but at a steep price.
Anglers choice on Rosecrans within walking distance. Charkbait and squidco are a short taxi jaunt away.

I'm driving out. I'll have my surburban with me. Darren, what is a short jaunt considered in CA? Yes, I have driven in mucho large cities. I hate it. Keep in mind that my idea of a traffic jam is waiting for a herd of turkeys to get out of my way. Yes, I live in the sticks. Yes, we have lots of turkeys. Darren and Max, I appreciate your appropriate replies. Thanks, Tex.

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
You're not going to like driving a Burb in Point Loma, we'll start there. Second, there are a few shops close as already mentioned. I think Squidco would be your best bet if you're looking to purchase a substantial amount of tackle. They do have a website you can peruse prior to coming out.

Good luck.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Squidco is only a mile or two away and would be my 1st choice…..Anglers choice is about 3 blocks up the road……try to avoid the shops at the landing as they are very expensive.

Driving a suburban in Pt Loma is NOT a problem…….just watch the traffic like anywhere else…..

Last edited:

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
You're not going to like driving a Burb in Point Loma, we'll start there. Second, there are a few shops close as already mentioned. I think Squidco would be your best bet if you're looking to purchase a substantial amount of tackle. They do have a website you can peruse prior to coming out.

Good luck.
Squidco is only a mile or two away and would be my 1st choice…..Anglers choice is about 3 blocks up the road……try to avoid the shops at the landing as they are very expensive.

Thank you sirs.

Driving a suburban in Pt Loma is NOT a problem…….just watch the traffic like anywhere else…..

Picklepork

May 29, 2012
Ventura, CA
Name
Gabriel
Boat
Can't afford
M&M Rods and Tackle is just 2 small blocks up from the Landing on Garrison.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Keep in mind that my idea of a traffic jam is waiting for a herd of turkeys to get out of my way..
Ive driven my ram 3500 w/utility bed around that area. Don't worry about your suburban. Ive called san diegans more colorful words than "turkey" at times. But same thing. Not to worry. san diegan turkeys WILL get out of the way. :D

Vagabond Inn is right at the Point Loma parking lot...with lots of places to eat (and drink) within an easy 9-iron away. if you stay there, load your gear in your room then just roll a cart over in the morning to load your gear from your room to the landing

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ

Never said driving the Burb would be a problem, I said he's not going to like it. Big difference.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Ive driven my ram 3500 w/utility bed around that area. Don't worry about your suburban. Ive called san diegans more colorful words than "turkey" at times. But same thing. Not to worry. san diegan turkeys WILL get out of the way. :D

Vagabond Inn is right at the Point Loma parking lot...with lots of places to eat (and drink) within an easy 9-iron away. if you stay there, load your gear in your room then just roll a cart over in the morning to load your gear from your room to the landing

Never said driving the Burb would be a problem, I said he's not going to like it. Big difference.
Thank you gents. I speak 3 different languages. English, Spanish, and Profanity...with English and Profanity being primary and Spanish being secondary. I have that covered.
I plan on leaving my gear with the X landing when I get there so I dont have to worry about it the morning when I get on the boat. Do yawl agree...or on? If no...do I leave my gear in my room as Wils suggest, or do I leave it with the landing. Much appreciated for the replies. Tex.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Thank you gents. I speak 3 different languages. English, Spanish, and Profanity...with English and Profanity being primary and Spanish being secondary. I have that covered.
I plan on leaving my gear with the X landing when I get there so I dont have to worry about it the morning when I get on the boat. Do yawl agree...or on? If no...do I leave my gear in my room as Wils suggest, or do I leave it with the landing. Much appreciated for the replies. Tex.
If you can leave your gear in the Excell office for those two days, that's great. It also allows more space in your room for more new stuff. :D

I only know a few words in Spanish.....

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Just know on the morning your trip is going out, it will be busy for the guys working the shop. I keep my gear in my room going over everything one last time because once you shove off, there's no going back. The morning of my trip, I quietly walk over a borrow a cart and load all it in the cart and calmly push it back. Big stress saver.

Reactions: sierraazuel

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
i would definitely leave my gear in my room………Outhouse is right on the money.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Just know on the morning your trip is going out, it will be busy for the guys working the shop. I keep my gear in my room going over everything one last time because once you shove off, there's no going back. The morning of my trip, I quietly walk over a borrow a cart and load all it in the cart and calmly push it back. Big stress saver.
i would definitely leave my gear in my room………Outhouse is right on the money.
Thank you very much guys. That is what I will do then.

sierraazuel

Saving World From Skynet
Jul 3, 2009
3rd Rock from The Sun
Name
Drew P. Balls
Boat
Thunder Bolt Grease Slapper

X2

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
If you can leave your gear in the Excell office for those two days, that's great. It also allows more space in your room for more new stuff. :D

I only know a few words in Spanish.....
Tex I am always more comfortable leaving my gear locked in my room until the morning we load up...but that's just me. Angler's Choice is a good place to visit, but can be pricy at times. Their great advantage is that they stock JRI Lures, which are AWESOME.

My favorite is Squidco. Those guys really know customer service, and they will take good care of you.

One piece of advice: as far as I know, there isn't a shop close to the Landing (except the shops actually AT the Landing...and I won't shop there unless I absolutely must) that stock either Jerry Brown or Seaguar spectra. Even if you can't get your reels spooled before you come, get your spectra ahead of time. That way, you can get Squidco to do your spooling for you (at a nominal fee), or get the boat to spool your reels for you.

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
Tex, let me know when you're in town and I'll give you the Tackle Tour... You can leave all the new stuff you buy at my house... :D