fishing tackle shop history.....

newtauk17

Feb 5, 2010
Arroyo Grande/CA/USA
Name
Kohei
Boat
18',Robalo
Interesting nobody mentioned Leon's first shop....Cork 'n Tackle on Western Avenue and about 170th St on the Gardena side of Western. He had that shop before going to work for Sabre. I bought my first custom rod from him in the late 60's. A noodley Fenwick steelhead rod of 9'. Used to fish BFT at SCI with it with 10/12 lb line. Where my dad bought me the first Penn 501 was a bait/tackle store near the foot of Culver Boulevard in Playa Del Rey. Danged if I can remember the name of that store? That would be in the mid-60's. Darned near everybody else is mentioned here I think.

Reactions: alulunga

Bento

OG HARA
Oct 11, 2004
Dogtown USA
salaslures.blogspot.com
Name
Bob H
Boat
None
Bob's Sporting Goods Sawtelle Blvd West LA
Ran by Dick Tamiya and later owned by Mike Naoe
Custom Wrapped Rods for Long Range Fishing and The Jig Fisherman was their Sweet Spot.

Reactions: alulunga

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Interesting nobody mentioned Leon's first shop....Cork 'n Tackle on Western Avenue and about 170th St on the Gardena side of Western. He had that shop before going to work for Sabre.
Would that be the same location that Yo's Tackle was at?
16120 S Western Ave, Gardena, CA 90247

Yo and Leon were very good friends. Perhaps he bought the shop from Leon?

here'smymule

Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
Interesting nobody mentioned Leon's first shop....Cork 'n Tackle on Western Avenue and about 170th St on the Gardena side of Western. He had that shop before going to work for Sabre. I bought my first custom rod from him in the late 60's. A noodley Fenwick steelhead rod of 9'. Used to fish BFT at SCI with it with 10/12 lb line. Where my dad bought me the first Penn 501 was a bait/tackle store near the foot of Culver Boulevard in Playa Del Rey. Danged if I can remember the name of that store? That would be in the mid-60's. Darned near everybody else is mentioned here I think.
Harry's.

Reactions: elreytut

John G

Nov 12, 2010
Thousand Oaks/Ca/USA
Name
John Gallagher
Boat
Ranger
Hey Squidiot (Tim) Do you remember another employee of Lincoln Pico Sporting Goods from the 70’s Mike Clemcey. He sold me my first Penn Squider and Diawa SS-1 ultra light spinning reel that started the life long fishing bug. I heard he possible moved to Morro Bay in early 80’s. Lots of good memories and good times at Lincoln Pico Sporting Goods back in the day.

Robsurf

Bobby Fillet
Nov 28, 2016
Lawndale
Name
Robert
Boat
none
just fishin. Pete
Recently saw “Pete’s” Redondo Beach location cleaned out and closed. I remember when it was at the base of Hermosa Pier before they turned the metered parking into a pedestrianized bars and restaurants. Does anyone know if he’s just taking a break to fish the winter season or if he moved again?

here'smymule

Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
Has anybody mentioned Tom Payne Sporting Goods in Gardena, Ketchum's on Hathorne Blvd. or A, B & S on Hardy and La Brea in Inglewood?
Did I mention Grand Value store on Market in Inglewood. Bought my first Truline from them in 1968- a C4X-1 for $34.99 on layaway. Got it for Christmas. Can't remember I got a Penn 112H from them or I may have gotten it from the Trading Post.

Reactions: pukahd

fsh4calico

Paralabrax clathratus
Oct 31, 2004
Torrance, Ca
Name
Pete
Boat
Long Range, Float Tube
Recently saw “Pete’s” Redondo Beach location cleaned out and closed. I remember when it was at the base of Hermosa Pier before they turned the metered parking into a pedestrianized bars and restaurants. Does anyone know if he’s just taking a break to fish the winter season or if he moved again?
There was an arson fire last June at Pete's shop. He's had some building permit issues, but last I talked to him (last Saturday), he plans to reopen in April.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
THANK YOU fellow BD brothers. Sold tackle for 30+ years in CA. This whole thread is a testimony to ALL those stores, and the "characters" that ran them....or hung out there. I worked with all or most of the stores and owners you mentioned. Thread brought back so many memories...and funny stories about ALL of them.

Lord knows....I have so many inside stories about most of them that you could laugh for hours. You caught me up on who may still be with us... or not, and those who passed it on to family. Thanks for those updates ....and fond memories brothers. I APPRECIATED ALL OF THEM!! :appl: :cheers:

Reactions: pacificscout

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Tackle shops I didn't read about above. ..

Neil's Sporting Goods...Santa Ana
Baldy's in Newport.....by the pier.
Anglers Center......by PCH / NEWPORT
JIG Stop.... Dana Point
Roys B&T.....on PCH in Newport....by the Reuben E.Lee
Bolsa tackle...Buena.Park

Laughed about my BD brother selling bait on the pier in the 60's with tickets. Brother I have one here somewhere.... it's red 5 cents. Lol. LOL:hali_parkutuli:

We'd take $2 bucks and a bucket and fish alllllllll day.... as long as we were home before the "street lights" came on. How things have changed.

Maybe it's just my Grey hair?

Last edited:

Mickdick

Nov 9, 2014
Thousand Oaks
Name
Jason
Boat
Parker 2310
Growning up in the 80's in Newhall there was Dan's Sportsman Supply. Sometimes I'd bring them a paper bag full of a reel that I couldn't put back together...😂
Also a place called Taylor Tackle in Canoga Park that I bought Calstar blanks from, two of which I still have. Built them the summer of 92'. A 665H and a 690J.
Eric- I lived near your shop in the early 2000's and bought a few Shikari's that I wrapped and still have. My 14 year old just caught his first yellowfin in October on the 908 and a Trinidad 14 that you sold me. Proud papa indeed! I'll have to stop in and say 'Hey' sometime...

pukahd

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
Has anybody mentioned Tom Payne Sporting Goods in Gardena, Ketchum's on Hathorne Blvd. or A, B & S on Hardy and La Brea in Inglewood?
Did I mention Grand Value store on Market in Inglewood. Bought my first Truline from them in 1968- a C4X-1 for $34.99 on layaway. Got it for Christmas. Can't remember I got a Penn 112H from them or I may have gotten it from the Trading Post.

Ahhhhhh ABS Sporting Goods in Inglewood. I met Roland Martin there doing a bass seminar....

There was Ardens Tackle shop in Rowland Heights which was the go to for Bass Pro Shops tackle price goods and prices.

Barrelmon

Aug 10, 2009
Santa Barbara
www.oatbakery.com
Name
Lou
Boat
15.5, Livingston Warrior
Anyone ever go to Conejo Fish and Tackle in Thousand Oaks? I went there as a little kid about 6 years old and Larry offered me a job back then and said to come back when I was old enough. So Came back when I was 15 and got a job fixing reels and doing inventory. I ran the Shop solo one summer after Larry had a stroke and I would go visit him in the hospital to have him sign checks for vendors and talk business. I was prob 16/17 at the time, managing his shop until he was able to get back to work. Lots of really great customers. He was a tough old man, sweet heart but not the nicest to customers. He smoked at least 2 packs a day in the shop. He’s passed since, taught me lots about business and now I have my own business (not fishing related).

Reactions: woodfish330