fishing tackle shop history.....

here'smymule

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
Harry's Bait and Tackle on Culver Blvd. in Playa Del Rey. Around for years. Smelled awful. Years of rotting bait and the work of a vicious dog named Bruno that was kept behind the counter. When he died there were questions whether or not the store would have to be demolished due to the smell. It was remodeled into an office for some P/R firm or something. I stuck my head in the door one day and took a sniff. They asked how they could help me and I made up some excuse and left- still a faint smell.
Two other things worth noting:
In the 80's a lot of pilfered or just plain stolen new merchandise ran through the store especially reels. Penn and Newells were going cheap- $40 for a 338or 332 a friend told me. Lots of spinners too. Rods.
The other thing is that there was an incident in the mid 90's where Harry was cited by a DFG Warden for having a Corvina in his bait refrigerator. Someone had given it to him and he was planning to eat it for lunch, but got "busted" for having a sport fish for sale. That's what I remember. The facts might be wrong. At the time Bill Bebe was writing an outdoor column for some of the local papers and wrote about what happened and how unfair it was. Bebe was most famous for his Pulitzer winning photo of Jack Kennedy on the beach in Santa Monica outside the Lawford compound in 1962.

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
SAN DIEGO
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
you forgot the old dana bait and tackle, we had rental boats , fuel dock, and live bait.also all of the fishermans supply centers. I believe squidco owned a part in all of them. my first real job was at dana bait and tackle. I worked for eric dye, {one of the best salesmen I've ever known!}, and jay would come in all the time and check things out. I ater wrapped for jay. I worked at midway for a week , but the owner had a twitch in his eye that drove me crazy, and he was a total jerk. man those were the days! there was also allseasons, stroud {still around?} , bianco bait and tackle ob bait and tackle, barnacle bills {still around}, etc
Yep you're right! Dana Bait and Tackle. In 1955, i went into the restaurant, to the west end of the counter, to buy frozen salted anchovies. used them to fish off the bridge right by the parking lot for Dana. caught Sargo, WSB,(we thought were SeaTrout).What was that bosses name at Midway (twitchy guy)? I tired wrapping for him too.. and little Davey..Are they still around?[/QUOTE]
I forgot there were 2 brothers, and the little person, he was such a cool guy. yeah fishing by the bridge and over by the atlantis. bonito , wsb, barracuda , and big spotfin. my friends worked on milt shedds "seawolrd" research boat. there were a group of kids that would hang out there all the time. my step dad owned hub liquor on mission, and i'd make my way over to dana to hang out and fish around the bait docks. made lots of friends I still know today. my time was in the late 60's, 70's & 80's. dana was my home away from home.

Reactions: triton91

here'smymule

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
Bought a spool of 20# Meslon there in the late 60's and when I got my first car I went there and bought a 228 Lamiglass. That store must have a lot of interesting stuff in the back. A couple of years ago I came in there and asked Paul if he had the phone number of Capt, Chris that use to work some of the Del Rey boats as I had lost it when I changed phones and wanted to buy a Truline from him. He wrote the number on a small pad and tore it off and gave it to me. Here's the kicker- the pad had the name of a wire company from Westchester near the airport and their phone number; no area code, only the ORchard _ _ _ _ _ number. That pad was 50+ years old!

Reefer

May 21, 2006
San Diego
Name
Bob
Boat
Pez Vela
Anyone mention New York Hardware in downtown LA? Bought a 1/0 & 2/O Senator and a Surfmaster

Fisherman’s Hardware in LB on PCH
Bob’s Bait & Tackle in LB on PCH
Wayne’s Tackle when it was at the La Mirada Drive Inn
SavOn Wayne’s Tackle (after Wayne sold out)
Sportman’s Supply in Downey
I grew up in Long Beach in the 50's and 60's, very close to Fisherman's Hardware, located on Anaheim Street (next to Joe Jost's). I was a familiar face to its original owners, Walt and Slim. They opened a second location at the foot of Belmont Pier, and Walt's daughter (Christy?) worked there behind the counter.

As a pier rat and frequent deadhead on the Queen of the Sea (which was based at the pier), I had the great pleasure to meet Walt's daughter at the shop. We dated a bit, and I remember double dating with her sister at the drive-in movies. I think that was probably my first ever real date, and it was memorable.

I think Walt passed away, and soon thereafter Slim sold the shop. Fisherman's Hardware had a good run, and I'm proud to say I was a part of it.

http://www.thelog.com/local/after-60-years-fisherman-s-hardware-to-close-dec-1/

Reactions: marlyn and ripped

stank

Well-Known "Member"
May 16, 2005
Norwalk, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
None
I grew up in Long Beach in the 50's and 60's, very close to Fisherman's Hardware, located on Anaheim Street (next to Joe Jost's). I was a familiar face to its original owners, Walt and Slim. They opened a second location at the foot of Belmont Pier, and Walt's daughter (Christy?) worked there behind the counter.

As a pier rat and frequent deadhead on the Queen of the Sea (which was based at the pier), I had the great pleasure to meet Walt's daughter at the shop. We dated a bit, and I remember double dating with her sister at the drive-in movies. I think that was probably my first ever real date, and it was memorable.

I think Walt passed away, and soon thereafter Slim sold the shop. Fisherman's Hardware had a good run, and I'm proud to say I was a part of it.

http://www.thelog.com/local/after-60-years-fisherman-s-hardware-to-close-dec-1/
Not sure why I thought it was on PCH, but I do remember it being next to Joe Jost’s.

Remember Belmont had the trolley that ran you out to the end of the pier for dime...

I used to fish the Queen with my dad in the ‘60’s and by myself some in the ‘70s. Three engines yes?

I don’t remember the skipper (Frank?) but the deckhands I remember were Scotty & Luigi. The galley gal was Queenie or maybe Goldy?

Reactions: fishnmortician

Reefer

May 21, 2006
San Diego
Name
Bob
Boat
Pez Vela
Not sure why I thought it was on PCH, but I do remember it being next to Joe Jost’s.

Remember Belmont had the trolley that ran you out to the end of the pier for dime...

I used to fish the Queen with my dad in the ‘60’s and by myself some in the ‘70s. Three engines yes?

I don’t remember the skipper (Frank?) but the deckhands I remember were Scotty & Luigi. The galley gal was Queenie or maybe Goldy?
The pier trolley? Oh my ... you're really bringing back the memories. The Queenie had 3 engines ... yep. I'd forgotten that. Made for a few jokes, I can tell you that.

The owner/skipper was known as "The Chinaman" whose real name was Bill Wantz as best I can remember. He was rather reclusive, and never left the wheelhouse. I should remember the regular deckhand's name, but I don't. He was the one who let us deadhead. I fished with my friend "Whitey" (Vern) who was the baitboy who sold anchovies on the pier. That was our "in" for fishing Queenie and the barge as well. Damn ... that was a long time ago.

Reefer

May 21, 2006
San Diego
Name
Bob
Boat
Pez Vela
The old-time tuna industry, sport boat, charter boat, and hardcore recreational San Diego guys should all know the Taniguchi's. I had the great fortune of an introduction to Norm, and his mom and pops. Hours spent talking story in the shop. Great people. Taniguchi's Tackle. You had to see it to believe it.

stank

Well-Known "Member"
May 16, 2005
Norwalk, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
None
The pier trolley? Oh my ... you're really bringing back the memories. The Queenie had 3 engines ... yep. I'd forgotten that. Made for a few jokes, I can tell you that.

The owner/skipper was known as "The Chinaman" whose real name was Bill Wantz as best I can remember. He was rather reclusive, and never left the wheelhouse. I should remember the regular deckhand's name, but I don't. He was the one who let us deadhead. I fished with my friend "Whitey" (Vern) who was the baitboy who sold anchovies on the pier. That was our "in" for fishing Queenie and the barge as well. Damn ... that was a long time ago.

Yeah, you only ever saw the skipper when he took a shot at the dogs...

Done_Deal

Sep 10, 2004
Santa Monica
mysite.verizon.net
Name
Joe
Boat
19' Home Built
My first piece of fishing equipment was purchased (by my father) in the late 50s when I was about 6 years old at Million Article Thompson, a hardware store that also had hunting and fishing supplies. It was located in the 89 hundred block of South Vermont Avenue a block from where I grew up. It appears that the sign, which still exists is somewhat famous.

Reactions: marlyn

jimm

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 31, 2003
North San Diego County
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none
I miss the days when Southern California was peppered with tackle shops. No doubt too many for me to remember but here is a partial list. Some are gone, some are still in business.

Fishn Fools - Granada Hills
Fishermans Spot - Van Nuys
Bunkers Tackle - Burbank
Bob Sands - Van Nuys
Arts - Gardena
Yos - Gardena
Fishermans Hardware - Long Beach
Kens Custom Reel - Oceanside
PBod's - Vista
Squidco - San Diego
Anglers Choice - San Diego
Pacific Coast Bait and Tackle - Oceanside

Gabe L.

Passenger
Jun 26, 2012
San Diego
Name
Gabe
Boat
Long range
Yup carters was there for a long time. Really crappy shop but sold a lot of bait and stuff like that. Didn’t matter what you were looking for they wouldn’t have it. Nice selection of used butt caps and random used junk.
Another guy bought it and it was nice for awhile but couldn’t really make a go of it. It’s a fish market now.
It was Harbor Tackle,the guy turned it into a nice shop but like you said couldn’t make it.

Jul 9, 2016
12214 juniette st
Name
JAY STAMMERJOHAN
Boat
none
my name is JAY i work with Harry at Harrys bait and tackle harry did not die their in 1992 i was with him and i did know pauls at lincoin tackle millie sands plus other of the org shop owners its sad that shops like this are almost gone

Reactions: woodfish330

BobbyAgate

Apr 2, 2018
Los Angeles
Name
Adam
Boat
Not yet
J.D.'s Big Game!!!

I was in there EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. In the summer when I was a kid in the late 90's. I'm sure I bothered him, lol. But he is one of the nicest people I've ever met. He used to call me "Wayne" because I was too shy to correct him and say my name Is Adam.

I remember going in there on my birthday with my dad. I think I was 8? And they said to pick out what I wanted. I ended up wanting probably $50 at the time worth of big hammers, lead heads and torpedo sinkers. And that was when my dad would fill up his jeep wrangler for $20 at the pump. So, as John Doughty is ringing us up my dad starts to get uneasy. I think John knew my dad was broke, lol. He stopped ringing up the transaction half-way through and said "that will be $20, happy birthday."

Then a couple years later I started "working" for him. He set up a working bait tank to demo in his shop. He had me catch smelt on the opal street dock and bring them over in a bucket. He paid me like 10 or 25 cents each. I still thought it was really cool. Then he tought me how to help him rig up his tuna feathers. I cleaned the glass and pulled the weeds for him and stuff.

I remember him working on a reel one day. Well, it was a lot of days. I think it was a Penn International 50 or 80 or something like that. I asked him what he was doing with it and why he was working on it so long. It had been MONTHS! He busted out laughing and said that he services those reels all the time. That they were very popular and a lot of guys send in their stuff to him. That it was a different reel. I had no idea

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
Lakeside Bait & Tackle was owned by Jim Trelikes and his Dad. Dad worked the counter, and Jim wrapped rods in the back.
Jim's dad was the nicest guy. And that store was packed.
Didn't matter if I was going lake fishing or saltwater. They had everything.
I also hung out at Barnacle Bills in Lemon Grove. I knew the original Bill that owned it. That guy knew his shit when it came to fishing. He let me pour sinkers in the back for him.
Thanks for putting this up. Great to jog the memories.

john beerling

Jun 9, 2008
So Cal
Name
john
Boat
Robalo Cayman 226
“Mike” on page 1 mentioned a small tackle store at the end of Hermosa Beach Pier... 53 years ago at age 13 I worked at that tackle store Mon-Fri from 6 am to 2 pm for the entire summer. The bait boat would deliver live bait which we sold (we sold tickets). Can’t remember the price for live bait, but I do remember I got paid $2.00 per day and all the free live bait I wanted. Life was good when you were only 13

elreytut

elreytut
Jun 19, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
bob
Boat
TARPON 120. NEW RIDE
Lincoln Pico Sporting Goods was an underrated treasure trove of everything vintage tackle collectors drool over today. I was lucky enough to work there in the early 70's after school, on weekends and during summer vacation. Owned and operated by the Killian family since the mid 1950's. Originally called Metal Speciality Company when the shop was actually located on the corner of Lincoln and Pico. They did manufacturing of fishing tackle (IE. rodger dodger jigs, streamline dodger etc, exclusive importer of Meslon monofilament) which was the go to line back in the day. Remember the wooden spools it came on? Most of their business was wholesale in their early days and supplied shops like Wylies, Reds, Jerry's and all the other tackle shops back in the 60's with gear they made or had exclusive distributorship of. I got to meet John Collins many times as he came to the store on occasion and he personally gave me some one off experimental Trulines. John and Jeanne Harrington were close friends of the Killians and were in the store regularly. I will always be grateful to the Killians and the old man Don who was their reel repairman/ rod wrapper for giving me the chance to work there. Huge influence in my life!
And the Whammy?

elreytut

elreytut
Jun 19, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
bob
Boat
TARPON 120. NEW RIDE
Another Lincoln-Pico original.......! They used split rings instead of solid welded rings, at least when I was working there and that was one of my jobs. I don't know how many jigs I put split rings and hooks on but it was certainly in the thousands.
i have a friend who's 96. Macvicar. made some of his own jigs, adapted from the 150 Candybars and Tady 4/0 lights. he told me back in the day, if "you didn't have a Streamline Dodger with you, you might as well go home"