fishing tackle shop history.....

Johnlgarrison

The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.
Jul 27, 2009
Temecula CA USA!
www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
Name
Johnny Garrison
Boat
Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
My favorite old time shop was Wayne’s Tackle in Norwalk. Been gone for over twenty years but lots of good memories. Spent way too much time hanging out there.

FishinMcNuggets

Fishin fo' Nutrition!
Oct 25, 2010
Hermosa Beach, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
Jerry Morris at one time owned "Jerry's Tackle Box" in Redondo Beach. By the time I was a wee sprout of 13, Jerry's had already been there a while. He also owned "Hermosa Bait and Tackle" on Pier Avenue in Hermosa.

A tackle and snack shop existed on the Hermosa Pier as well in the same era, but was of little consequence in the industry.

Upon Jerry's unfortunate passing, circa '86?, the Hermosa location was sold to Pete W., who years later changed the name to "Pete's Just Fishing". The "Tackle Box" in Redondo suffered a massive clearance sale, and the location closed.

Pete W. was later forced out of his Pier Ave. location for "Just Fishing." In the late 90's or so he moved his storefront to 190th Street in Redondo, where he still wraps quite a few sturdy custom rods, and fixes reels.

I'll add on more later, unless someone else chimes in about Millie.

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I used to go to Jerry's, he set me up for my first 10 day. Nice man who could have sold me the store but set me up with what I needed.
There was a shop in Santa Monica ,Lincon bait and tackle? Would go in there and drool when I was a kid.

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
A little different take on tackle shop history.

Growing up in Gardena we had 6 different places to buy tackle. I will try to list what I remember: Art’s Outlet on Gardena Blvd, Payne’s Tackle on Redondo Beach Blvd, Yo’s on Western, Gardena Hardware orginal location on Gardena Blvd, Yamada’s Garden Supply on Gardena Blvd and Gardena Sporting Goods on Gardena Blvd. It was a sign of the times. The tackle in some was minimal but it was there. Of course Art’s Outlet became Art’s Tackle and moved to Arestia Blvd and is now long gone.

Back in the 60’s we had choices plus Roddy, Sabre and Calstar all were in and around Gardena too.

Luke

eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Newport Beach Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
Weiser's Sporting Goods in Anaheim... Loved going in there as a kid... they had a bunch of taxidermy... I used to trip out on all the heads on the walls. old man Weiser was a true outdoorsman. It was a hunting and fishing store... kinda like Turners circa 1975... was on Harbor Blvd / Broadway next to the Anaheim Public Library.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
First ever serious fishing rod I bought was a Calstar 196-8 at Pete's on Hermosa Pier. Can't even comprehend a tackle store being in that location any longer unfortunately.

Reactions: Bobbyseabass

eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Newport Beach Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
In the 80's yeah... Yo's in Gardena... or Takas Bait & Tackle as well... Anaheim... Lincoln Ave... been there for ever... still go there from time to time... Used to sit and watch Yo and Taka wrap rods when I was a 14 15 16... they had very similar styles... perfect blends every time... thats what got me started wrapping...

boswell

Sep 19, 2003
Marina del Rey
Name
jay
Boat
no got
I remember buying fishing licenses at Sav-On (the drugstore; not the tackle store).
Out in my neck of the woods, it was Bob's Tackle on Sawtelle (run by Mike who bought it from Dick) and Purfield's. Both are long gone.

elreytut

elreytut
Jun 19, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
bob
Boat
TARPON 120. NEW RIDE
I used to go to Jerry's, he set me up for my first 10 day. Nice man who could have sold me the store but set me up with what I needed.
There was a shop in Santa Monica ,Lincon bait and tackle? Would go in there and drool when I was a kid.
lincoln-pico sporting goods is still there, run by Paul, the son? of the original owner. they made jigs, the ROdger Dodger, the Whammy, the spoon called a streamline dodger that was a killer barrie lure

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
coming up on 40 years for my shop that opened in 1979 and i purchased from the owner, dick moore, in 1994. what other shops have been around a long time? what do you know about them?
Hook line and Sinker in Santa Barbara.
Owned by three, yes three father daughter teams.
My wife is friends with the first daughter Jean, Mr. Shin (RIP) and his daughter and now Capt. Bacon and Tiffany.
I've lived in SB County over 40 years and the shop has always been there.

here'smymule

Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
Did i get my posts axed?
I mentioned Hy Green's All Year Sports Den managed by Al Rutsager on La Tejera in Westchester, The Grand Value Store on Market St. in Inglewood owned by Sid and Mary (bought my first Truline there), AB&S on La Brea in Inglewood owned by Pat Sullivan and managed by Mike Tilka(big bass store- Roland Martin did seminars!), and, finally, Centinela Sporting Goods along near Culver and Centinela in what was then a Japanese-American neighborhood (they had lots of Truline and Roddy's).
Oh yes, Ernst and Rucker Hardware on Crenshaw south of Stocker. They were the Tony Reyes trip agent and I went on one in 1972 after working on the Ranger 85 all summer. Bought these weird wood trolling lures there!
I'm not going to put this up again, if you delete it.
One more thing: my first rod and reel we're purchased at Thrift Drug store at Sepulveda and La Tejera in Westchester. Zebco 66 and a solid glass spinning rod!

fishcrazy

Apr 25, 2004
meridian,id
Name
ed
Boat
none
Hook line and Sinker in Santa Barbara.
Owned by three, yes three father daughter teams.
My wife is friends with the first daughter Jean, Mr. Shin (RIP) and his daughter and now Capt. Bacon and Tiffany.
I've lived in SB County over 40 years and the shop has always been there.
yes they have been & they have crap inventory, not real friendly. I'll drive 2 Erics b4 i well set foot in hook line sinker again.