Nikki J

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Todd
Boat Name
26,Blackman OB,Nikki J
Launched SI at 0600. Baited up with good 4-6 inch dines at EB. Headed to the islands. Slow trolled middle rock to lighthouse with rapalas and dines. Fished SKR for not. Motored to wind side of north and slow trolled for not. Metered a lot of fish, which were all deep but all seemed to have lock jaw.
Decided to go paddy hunting S9-182-178-N9-whistler buoy. No life anywhere. No kelps, no birds, no fish. Tern birds working on the N9 so we soaked some baits out of frustration but no joy. Managed one decent sand bass at the whistler for ceviche. Water was clean and 62-64 while on the hunt.
I hope this helps anyone going tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2021
SouthOC
Name
Steve
Boat Name
NONE
Today is the day the bite busts wide open on the surface.

popeye-spinach.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nikki J

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Todd
Boat Name
26,Blackman OB,Nikki J
Great report.
May I ask when you are slow trolling, do you flatline? Could you describe how you slow troll?
Asking 4 a friend.
Know. I’m too lazy. Can’t hurt. I nose hook the dines, drop back 20 yards or more and either leave the rod in free spool with the cliker on in the rod holder or hold rod in my hand in free spool with thumb on the spool. Troll at idle speed.

Upvote 0

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat Name
Hobie Kayak
Try this.
Bring some medium thick rubber bands. Once you let the bait back (idle speed) grab the line with your right hand. Place rod in rod holder using your left hand. Now use the rubber band (half hitch) to secure the line to a rear cleat or other suitable spot. This makes the angle of the line to the water 'flat', like a sport boat.
Stagger the bait distance behind the boat and make sure you never ever troll in a straight line. Your wake should be a gentle, lazy S behind the boat. You want your bait to be going in then out of the bubbles in your wake.
My unscientific / first hand test result using identical baits was that flat lining caught 5 to one over the rod being in a holder with the line at a much steeper angle to the water.
Try it , you'll like it.

Upvote 0